Favorite Irish Songs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Claves.Sancti.Petri, Dec 14, 2012.

1. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

My favourite Beautiful song

Sanctus likes this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

But so sad too.

RoryRory likes this.
  3. heyshepard

heyshepard Archangels

God bless him! You can feel the struggle...

4. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

I love. Owen Mac

5. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Galway Bay

6. AED

AED Powers

When I hear Danny Boy (Londonderry Air) I tear up every time. Goes right to the heart of me.

RoryRory likes this.
  7. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Bean Phaidin, one of my favourite Irish songs, has shocking lyrics but there's something about the rhythm that appeals to me. It's about a woman wishing she was married to Phaidin and wishing his wife dead.

I like Mo Ghile Mear too. A lament about Bonnie Prince Charlie fleeing to France after the battle of Culloden, the lyrics are more respectable.

RoryRory and AED like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

My grandmothers favourite was the Skye boat song. She was an O'Donnell from the Glens and they had a notural affinity with Scotland. Very like Mo Ghille Mear

AED likes this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

This always reminds me of Lagan Love

10. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Hadn't heard that in years although I'm sure there must be better versions of it on youtube. Brings me back to my primary school days. Maybe your granny was related to Flora MacDonald.

AED likes this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

They were always bitter about the Glencoe massacre by the Campbells., I still get upset when I think about it. Must be in the blood

Dolours and AED like this.
  12. AED

AED Powers

I used to play and sing the Skye boat song when young. If it is the same one. "Sail pretty boat sail far and awa'. Over the seas to Skye..."

13. AED

AED Powers

Same tune as Outlander.

14. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Rose of Tralee

15. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Yes, it's the same song although the words we learned were slightly different. See here for the lyrics: https://genius.com/The-corries-skye-boat-song-lyrics

16. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Sounds so familiar. We have lots of Scottish culture here !! Beautiful

17. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

That song is sung here so often. We live amongst the Campbells and MacDonalds and 10 minutes from Glencoe Cape Breton.

AED likes this.
  18. AED

AED Powers

Hooray! A Cape Bretoner. We have been connected to Cape Breton for almost 50 years. Yikes! 50 years... Anyway very close with a family up there. LOVE it.

RoryRory likes this.
  19. AED

AED Powers

Lovely! I have a book of sheet music from the Corries. I used to sing and play a lot of Scottish and Irish songs. When I was young --before I got a groggy throat. Lol.

RoryRory and Dolours like this.
  20. AED

AED Powers

Yhe version I learned was from an Australian girl.