Evangelizing my family

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Jun 26, 2018.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Away working on a lot of changes in my life.

At dinner, I got in a minor squabble with my parents about politics, I don't think I said anything too harsh but I was much more aggressive then I should have been because of my anger issues.

I wanted to wait and prepare until October before working on my family, but it looks like this is something I'll have to deal with whenever, wherever. So I would like to ask, does anyone here have any tips and advice on how to evangelize one's family members?

heyshepard and gracia like this.
  2. gracia

gracia Archangels

Pray for them! I have been praying for my husband for a year. Gradually, he has begun to soften towards the Church. And allows us to go to Mass. Ask God for the right conversations and moments, and above all, work on your heart first. And pray the Rosary!

3. Seagrace

Seagrace Archangels

I once read somewhere that the most powerful evangelization was the life we led.

4. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Pray the Rosary often. When God gives you the grace to fully convert and overcome your anger issues -

then evangelize with your words.

5. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Principalities

Hi RosaryWielder,

My conversion back to my faith was quite simple and in a way may help you evangelize. First thing I would do is ask questions. The main one of course, is do they believe in God? If you can get them over that hurdle the rest is not too difficult. The one typical answer I usually hear form people, especially these secular post-modern new agers is that they do not believe in a God, but rather some undefined cosmic energy. If they say that then they have a big problem with a defining Morality for themselves and others. Because cosmic energy provides neither moral underpinnings, nor love, nor mercy. It is almost as good as saying there is no God.

It is the opposite of a Christian God who is Merciful and Loving. Follow my logic here: People often forget that if they want a Loving God that it automatically implies a God with a component of Justice. A God that just Loves...cannot mete out justice to those that do not obey his moral law. And if that's the case you might as well believe in a Loveless uncaring God or NO God at all.

Dolours and RosaryWielder like this.
  6. Fatima

Fatima Powers

We have prayed the family rosary nightly for many years. Now that most of our 11 children are out of the house and seeing that some have entered into this sinful world and what it has to offer, my wife and I started to say a second rosary when we first wake up for the past year or so, as well as our usual evening rosary binding our children to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

While discussions with family members may bring some fruit, perhaps not immediately, it can also divide if we push our faith on others. For this reason, I stick with trusting in prayer and when necessary words. Most importantly, we need to practice the faith ourselves and not just preach it. Those outside the faith may not be living in the light of God, but they sure do listen and watch those who claim to be Christian and will use any bad actions or words against you when they can. No doubt the rosary is the answer. Saints John Paul, Mother Teresa, Padre Pio just to name a few always said as much. One last thing I will say on this, is make daily visits to the Blessed Sacrament. Make it something you do on your lunch break or after work or whenever you can find a 1/2 hour or so. This is key to our journey and gaining the strength to persevere.

Mary's child, Don_D, Dolours and 4 others like this.
  7. AED

AED Powers

Much wisdom here Fatima. Much much wisdom. How blessed you can pray the Rosary with your wife. And how blessed to have eleven children.

8. RosaryWielder

So I set up this table with a piece of paper and a statue of Our Lady of Grace, where family members can write down their prayer requests and I’d pray for them. For awhile, it appeared everyone was okay with it, then today, after completing my first Saturday Devotion, I thought I would pray in front of it to show people that I am fulfilling their requests. When I was setting up the table, my dad asked me how long the table was going to be up, I don’t have time to go into details but eventually he told me I couldn’t pray publicly like that because religion is a “private” thing.

I was really disturbed by this and have been struggling with this throughout the entire day. I have been fighting really hard not to let bad thoughts get the better of me, but just around an hour or so ago, I’m scared I might have given in, which makes me really upset because I had just completed my fifth and final First Saturday Devotion. I’m not sure what to do with this, I’m thinking sending him an email or text message telling him privately that, while I will obey him and not pray publicly, what he said was wrong, but I’m not sure, I’m just really upset and disturbed over this.

9. Frank Markus

Frank Markus Archangels

I also cannot evangelize like this, my family despises piety. We can only do this in private. And on a supernatural level, I need to really come clean first. I'm sure they can sense that in a subtle or supernatural way .

AED, RosaryWielder and gracia like this.
  10. Fatima

Fatima Powers

What I found out in my journey is to not push ones faith on family and friends. While it is human nature to want to see results from our laborious fruits, this is not always God's way. This is where the Jesus I Trust In You comes in. For our part it may be all God needs is for us to be consistent in our prayers and prayer requests, then we must trust. That is where real/strong faith comes in. Let God do what he only can do when he desires, not our time line (which is now). Jesus said, don't grandstand, but go behind closed doors where he can see you and he will hear our prayers.

If your dad asked you to do something, do it in obedience to Jesus and the 4th commandment. Obedience will draw more grace then doing things our way. Keep praying and sacrificing and God will answer your prayers in his time. My wife and I bind all our children to the Immaculate Heart of Mary twice every day before our rosaries. Then we must trust. Badgering our children (or parents) will only make it worse. Trust.[/QUOTE]

Don_D, Dolours, Seagrace and 4 others like this.
  11. RosaryWielder

I’m struggling a lot with injustice of this situation, I really want to tell my dad how immoral this.

I don’t want to make things worse, I’m already horribly scandalized by this, but I really feel the need to say something, and what if things get worse by my silence?

12. RosaryWielder

I'm considering showing my family Fr. Rickert's La Cristiada series on the Sensus Fidelium Youtube Channel. I won't bring up what my dad said, but I'm thinking it might help to let them see the history of Catholics who laid down their lives for public worship.

13. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Take Fatima's advice. Pray in private. Pay visits to the Blessed Sacrament and feel God's peace flowing into your heart. Pray for your parents and leave their conversion to the Holy Spirit.

14. gracia

gracia Archangels

Nothing can get worse by your silence. But things could get much worse by your saying something meant kindly, but which is not taken well. Just go into your interior prayer closet. Do that. Our prayers to so much more than words can.

15. gracia

gracia Archangels

When distressed, scared, or confused, my favorite prayers are:

Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Jesus, Mary, I love You, save souls!

And

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell, and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need. (Fatima prayer)

Those steady my heart immediately. You can say them out loud or pray them in your heart. God always hears no matter what!

16. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Your obedience to your Fathers wishes and authority while you are under it will go a long way towards showing him you are practicing what you believe the best way that you can and that you honor him and his wishes. It does not matter if you agree with his decisions. This will mean a great deal to him and in turn will be an example of your character and what more could any Father want than a son or daughter who is obedient, disciplined and even in the times of personal disagreement honors them.
    This is a real opportunity to grow closer to your Father.

AED, RosaryWielder, gracia and 2 others like this.
  17. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

If you struggle with a spirit of anger you will never make things worse by bridling your tongue. Gracia is right. Let it go, pray, and obey your Fathers wishes. He loves you, keep that thought always near by.
    On the road to wisdom the first stop is self sacrifice and discipline. Prayer, fasting, obedience to our station in life; these are the weapons at our hands. God Bless you RosaryWielder.

AED, RosaryWielder, gracia and 2 others like this.
  18. border collie

border collie Archangels

Our families can be very quick to put us in a box, and while we're in that box, very little of what we say can have any real effect on them. In my own experience the only way to get out of the box is to pray much and sacrifice for them, and allow the Gospel to really bear fruit in our own lives. Then our families, seeing the change in us, will become more open to asking questions. That, to me is the key, because if one asks a question, one is open to an answer.
    Much preferable to becoming frustrated preaching at closed hearts and minds.

Seagrace, AED, RosaryWielder and 2 others like this.
  19. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Please do not be disturbed, but have the peace of our Mother. Prayers and fortitude with a lot of humility will be the strength you need. When these thoughts arise in your heart think of Mary. How many times did she hold her thoughts and her tongue? When I feel frustrated by others I tell Satan to get to the foot of the cross and ask our most humble and gracious mother to hurry up and crush his head, as he is ultimately the culprit to your anger.

Mary by the grace of God, please keep Rosary Wirlder in your prayers with us as he climbs the latter of grace.

20. RosaryWielder

Thanks everyone for your support and advice, I didn't show the video, I'm to try and be at peace not let this scandalize me anymore.

I'm going just stick to praying to Jesus and Mary, on my own, and ask my guardian angel to help cultivate the fruits of the Holy Spirit within my soul.

gracia, Don_D, AED and 2 others like this.