Ecumenism and Mary - a bridge too far

Discussion in 'Church Critique' started by garabandal, Oct 13, 2021.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

There can never be proper relations with Protestants because of Mary in terms of unity. We can be respectful but the errors are very grave.

There is a lot in common but Mary is a real obstacle and the bits we don't have in common are very, very serious.

One example will suffice - all protestant denominations hold that the Blessed Virgin Mary was a 'sinner'.

They believe Mary was a virgin and Blessed but deny her Immaculate Conception.

The Immaculate Conception appears to be a bridge too far.

Protestants insult Mary by calling her a sinner.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. sparrow

sparrow Exitus ~ Reditus

It boggles my mind how Protestants can't believe that Mary, the Mother of God, called in scripture "blessed among women" and "full of grace" can't be accepted as perfect! Who do they think would be chosen as the Mother of God Himself!? :rolleyes:

Jason Fernando, DeGaulle, AED and 2 others like this.
  3. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

Protestants insult Jesus when they call his mother a sinner. He was and is bone of her bone and blood of her blood. The psalmist says ‘In sin was I conceived and in sin did my mother conceive me’. The Old Testament Jews didn’t believe that conceiving a child within marriage was sinful so this must mean that original sin is ‘genetic’, however virtuous the parents.

Thus it would have been impossible for Jesus to have been born of a sinner. He took his very flesh from her. Had she been tainted by original sin, so would he have been, which renders the Incarnation impossible. Jesus was the perfect spotless lamb, the only sacrifice for our sins that was acceptable to God.

To believe in the Immaculate Conception is to understand more clearly the holiness of God and the holiness of His Son who was and is God. This is what the Protestants don’t see.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021