Divine Mercy

Discussion in 'Video Blogs' started by Lee, Apr 13, 2012.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

God forgives David but actions have consequences:

"Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife."

"Thus says the Lord: 'Behold, I will raise up adversity against you from your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun. For you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, before the sun.'"

And Nathan said to David, "The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. However, because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also who is born to you shall surely die."

2. MomsCalling

MomsCalling Principalities

Divine Mercy devotion in a parish is a matter of the priest's and the bishop's devotion to it, it seems. Our new priest is a huge proponent of St. Faustina. Since he has come, he has been trying to instill the devotion within our parish. At this time though, our Mass on Divine Mercy Sunday is no different than any other Mass except for his homily and the large image of Divine Mercy which he puts out for us. Our parish was given it two years ago but the older people in the parish do not want it put up! They don't like it, they think it is too big and gaudy!!! Makes me nuts. Last year he really tried to promote the novena and indulgence, I helped by making hundreds of fliers to put out in the churches. This year he eased up on that a bit. We are trying to wear them down slowly...those of us who want it. He just does not want to step on their toes too much, at least not immediately. This last sunday he mentioned it again, putting the image on the wall permanently that is. It is really to big to drag in and out all the time, you know? You do not HAVE to have an image in order to pray the devotion of course, but Jesus asked that it be made, so people like to pray the chaplet with an image within sight.
    Kathleen, the Divine Mercy chaplet actually, ideally, should be prayed every day of the year, and preferably at 3 pm. though the time is not critical other than it is a good time to remember His mercy. IT has only been since Pope JP II canonized St. Faustina and made "Divine Mercy Sunday" a real day have we had it in an outward way. That is why the old people are opposing it, they don't know anything about it. It is "new" to them, therefore it is suspect. Also it is all about the visions and locusions of a mystic, so those who choose not to believe in apparitions may not be comfortable following the practice, though it has been officially approved and encouraged now by the Church and the Pontiff.

We have two first class relics of St. Faustina in our parishes. One is permanently on display at our adoration chapel, the other is owned by a parishiner. She lets Father use it on Divine Mercy sunday so we may kiss it and venerate it after Mass on that day. In spite of all the positive steps and all the people who are promoting the devotion, still many resist it and don't understand why we should do "another thing". It is rather perplexing to me.

As a rule, Franciscans have embraced this devotion wholeheartedly, from everything I have seen. Daniel, I am not sure I agree with your fraternity practice in releasing people of other devotions to concentrate on praying the office. I guess I can understand your leader's purpose, but it seems odd to do that...? I think it is a matter of individual prayer life to decide how to add the Office into one's prayer life. IF you need to drop something else at first, well so be it, but it just seems weird that it would be done in that way. I have never heard of that in any of the fraternities I have been in contact with. What we say is to pray the office at least once, preferably twice a day. If you can do more, wonderful, but I would never think to tell someone they don't need to pray the rosary or the Divine Mercy chaplet or any other devotion in leau of the Office. Maybe I am wrong on this, I don't know.

Kathleen, the only thing significant with Divine Mercy Sunday (the first sunday after Easter) and the Novena is the Plenary Indulgence. Praying the novena any other time of the year, or simply praying the chaplet daily of course provides you with partial indulgences too. It is the plenary one that if you want to feel confident to recieve it you have to follow the rules of the indulgence...Pray the Novena starting on Good Friday, Pray for the intentions of the Pope (usually the Hail Mary, Our Father, and Creed are simply offered for his intentions), and either 8 days before or after Divine Mercy Sunday, go to confession and receive the Eucharist. This can only be attained once a year because Divine Mercy Sunday only occurs once a year. But I set my phone for 2:55 every day and try to pray the chaplet whenever I can all year otherwise. Lord knows our world needs it!

The Chaplet on yuor computer:
    http://www.praydivinemercy.com/

All about the Novena:
    http://www.praydivinemercy.com/praynovenatostfaustina.html

3. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Thanks Connie and Padraig: I think I see the true value now and I understand a bit better. It appears pretty important. I did not think about the effects of our sins on our daily lives. I can think of a few things that have occurred in my own life and in others that parallel King David's. I was just focussed on forgiveness and heaven.
    Introducing a new practice into the church life is hard. I'm trying to be understanding of our priests who work very hard and are devoted to God. While our church is not full of the elderly who might resist, we are full of those that like to think about "rainbows and sunshine" and this devotion would be a bit intense for them. We dont' even have a Rosary group- something to work on as well :). Next year, I may ask my husband to paint a Devine Mercy painting to give to the church and start that way.

I'm praying the prayers of St. Bridget right now for my mother-in- law's conversion, I think I'll wait to focus on the daily practice to next year. I'm not good at juggling more than one devotion and have found defeat in trying. Maybe next year things will calm down and I can try to kick off a whole year. The computer idea would likely work if I could catch a break from my staff. Wouldn't they love it if I put a sign on my door that said "Praying- come back in 10 minutes". They are a good bunch so they would be supportive.
    I'll keep doing my occasional visit to the Devine Mercy in the meantime. It is a pleasure to pray it. What a gift.

Thanks for your help ya'll. I feel I have a better understanding.
    I'll check the websites and keep them as favorites. Kath

4. MomsCalling

THAT is a GREAT idea!!! Have him make it big enough that they could use it for praying the devotion, but not 8 feet tall! One of the complaints from the grumblers in our parish is that ours is too big! I'd go with a 2' x 4' size maybe?

5. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

LOL!
    Na- I'd just have him do one to put on an easel for that day only. Your suggestion for a size is about what I'm thinking. LOL

6. MomsCalling

Right...ours is way too big for an easel. That's what they do at Marytown, they bring a picture in and take it out when done. But if you go a little bigger, like 2x4, then it could also be hung if the priest wanted to.

We have a lovely tapestry about that size hanging on the wall in the adoration chapel at the other parish in our town. It stays there permanently. Below it is a first-class relic of St. Faustina loaned to the chapel by a parishiner. We actually have two of them in town. We got to venerate one of them at our Divine Mercy Sunday Mass.