Divine Mercy

Discussion in 'Video Blogs' started by Lee, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Lee

Lee Principalities

2. Mario

Mario Powers

He who trusts in my Mercy will not perish, for all his affairs are Mine, and his enemies will be shattered at the base of my footstool (Diary, 723)!

Alleluia! Praise the Lord! Time to dance with songs of joy!

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

3. Lee

Lee Principalities

In the kitchen doing just that!

4. Mario

Mario Powers

Lee,

That poor floor of yours has taken such a beating the last few years! :lol:

Safe in the Father's Arms!

5. Lee

Lee Principalities

au contraire, I'm just putting a nice shine on it now!

6. padraig

padraig Powers

I am on the night shift tonight and tomorrow night. While doing so I walk thorugh the wards and see the patients, most of whom are suffering and a few of some, especially in the ntensive care unit are clearly dying. While it would be wrong to suppose that all suffering is a direct result of our sins, it is true nevertheless most certainly true that a very great deal of pain and suffering and even death is brought on our own heads as a punishment for our sins.

For someone like myself who is and has been a very,very great sinner indeed this is a huge wake up call and cause for me to turn to Jesus to beg for Marcy.

So for me the promise of Jesus to St Faustina is tremendous. THis promise that physical punishments merited by our sins will be remitted BOTH IN THIS LIFE and in the life to come will be totally wiped away.

“ I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment." (699) "Souls perish in spite of My bitter Passion. I am giving them the last hope of salvation; that is, the Feast of My Mercy. If they will not adore My mercy, they will perish for all eternity...tell souls about this great mercy of Mine, because the awful day, the day of My justice, is near.”
    [​IMG]

I have seen since I was a child a complete shifting away from the preaching of the simple fact that we are ,all of us subject to GOd's justice. It is many, many years since I heard a priest preach on hell or the Demands of Gods Justice; that actions have consequneces and if we choose sin we also choose punishment and to live under God's Wrath.

But working at nights sometimes in the hospital and seeing the ill and dying reminds me that this is so....

[​IMG]

For if we do not call that our God is a God of Justice and we that we live, both in this life and in the life of the world to come how then shall we know to flee to the springs of His boundless Mercy?

So each year I run live a lamb who has crossed the waterless desert of the previous years todrink deeply from the Springs of Divine Mercy on Divine Mercy Sunday and to claim Gods wonerful promises of forgiveness not only from my many , many sins but from most just and condign punishment.

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, `Come, you that are blessed by ny Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. . . . Then he will say to those at his left hand: "You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. . . . And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life (Matt 25.31-46)

[​IMG]

7. Mario

Mario Powers

Padraig just said:

I have seen since I was a child a complete shifting away from the preaching of the simple fact that we are ,all of us subject to GOd's justice. It is many, many years since I heard a priest preach on hell or the Demands of Gods Justice; that actions have consequneces and if we choose sin we also choose punishment and to live under God's Wrath.

This has been my experience, too, perhaps the universal experience of Catholics in the West during the last 35 years. But what you next asked is even more true:

For if we do not call that our God is a God of Justice and we that we live, both in this life and in the life of the world to come how then shall we know to flee to the springs of His boundless Mercy?

I remember how in the 1980s when Amazing Grace was sung, so often the line:

Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me...

was watered down as follows:

Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved and set me free...

So sad!!

After all, to appreciate the price of my salvation I must realize it is I who drive the nails into the hands and feet of Jesus! Only in comprehending my wretchedness, and the horror of what I've down to Jesus and others, can the Mercy of God shine forth in all its brilliance!

Lord have mercy on us all, especially me. To those who have been given much, much is expected!

Safe in the Flames of the Sacred Heart!

8. padraig

padraig Powers

Yes Terry, I belive you have a wonderful expression in your own country , grace is free, but it is not cheap. We are purchased by the blood of The Lamb...

[​IMG]

Effecively we in the West have seen a radical feminisation into a pink, fluffy do good , nicer than nice club of back slappers. Any priest nowadays who preaches the Gospel in any real , powerful meaningful way faces a real martyrdon , not as one would expect from the outward enemies of the Faith but from the enemies within the gate, their own Bishops and fellow priests. Any priest who dared to preach the Gospel in its full glorious power would find himself in an igloo chapel in the artic preaching to the penguins.

This is why the life of Padre Pio is so instructive, he both preached and lived the Gospel in its full glory , he did not forget me defenestrate it into something, nice' and 'acceptable' and so the Church authorities put him to the constant cross. They tried to shut him up, but the people the 'common' Catholic people raised him up .For tehy knew the Gospel when it was preached.

That is why our Blessed Lady as Queen of Prophets has raised up sites like this right across the internet and in prayer groups, homes and hearts right across the world, for teh faithful remant , the very little ones her children.....

John 1:11

He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.

To proclaim Mary's message.

That the Season of Mercy and of Justice is at hand. The great harvesting for which the angels have already been sent forth.

Isaiah 40:3

A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.

[​IMG]

9. Mario

Mario Powers

From SpiritDaily comes this amazing story. I have always marveled at Our Lady's miraculous intervention to protect Medjugorje during the Bosnian War. This article recounts how The Heart of Jesus was also directly involved through a Divine Mercy icon! It should remind us of the David and Goliath type stories in the Old Testament. The Two Hearts have always acted in unison! Sweet Mercy of Jesus be praised!

Divine Mercy Today

By Louise Lotze

I found an amazing story about the Divine Mercy of God in our present day when I was reading the book Triumph Through Trial by Joseph P. Kenney, copyright 2008. This book is the untold story behind the canonization of Sister Maria Faustina Kowalska. A Slovak-American family was instrumental in getting the final miracle attributed to Sister Faustina's intervention approved and accepted in Rome for her canonization

It was in the epilogue, however, where I discovered the connection of the Divine Mercy Image and Medjugorje. Father Seraphim Michalenko, MIC, from Stockbridge, Massachusetts, told Mr. Kenney to be sure to see “The Miraculous Image of Divine Mercy” while on his pilgrimage to Medjugorje. He told him to contact his friend, Dragan Kozina, for help. Father Seraphim stated that this painting got its name after the healing of a paralyzed man in Italy. While he was venerating the image, Jesus reportedly told him: “Stand up and come forward.” He did, leaving his wheelchair behind forever. The painting eventually made its way to a small chapel in a cemetery just east of Medjugorje. Dragan had the key to the chapel from the Franciscans, to whom it was entrusted, and he showed Mr. Kenney and Sonia Kulhan the image. (The Kulhan family was instrumental in getting the final miracle approved for Sister Faustina's canonization.)

Dragan revealed a startling story about this icon. He told them about the power of the Miraculous Image of Divine Mercy and how it had saved Medjugorje during the Bosnian Civil War. He had been a colonel and was the commander responsible for defending Medjugorje against the Serbian advance.

Mr. Kenney stated: “Dragan's unit had been battered and morale was low after years of fighting the larger, better-equipped Serbian army. Enemy forces were massing just east of the city for what appeared to be a final, major offensive. It was at this time that the Miraculous Image of Divine Mercy arrived from Rome. Upon seeing it, the villagers immediately felt inspired to publicly invoke God's mercy to save their town. Dragan objected, as doing so would expose the population to enemy air strikes. Undaunted, the citizens rallied behind the image, marching through the city in a solemn prayer procession. The Croatian army, inspired by the faith of their fellow villagers, launched a daring counter-offensive the next day.

Mr. Kenney was astonished at the outcome after viewing the battlefield. The Serbs were on high ground, had tanks, artillery, and aircraft, and a river running in front of them. The success was instant as the Croatian forces surprised the much larger Serbian army. The only explanation was divine intervention. This was even more convincing by the fact that never again would Serbian forces threaten Medjugorje. In towns just 10 miles away from Medjugorje one could still notice the still scarred houses with bullet holes in them and many reduced to rubble. Throughout it all, Medjugorje had remained an “Oasis of Peace.”

The Miraculous Image of Divine Mercy eventually was placed in a church in the village of Surmanci (where the Croatians defeated the Serbs) in honor of its powerful intercession, to be venerated by future generations. “Such would be the fruits of this additional, and also previously untold, story of Divine Mercy,” relates Mr. Kenney. He concludes this story with an appeal to our great nation at this most critical time in world history. The message of Divine Mercy to “Trust in Jesus” gave the Kulhan family the strength to triumph over their trials and it became the true source of power that saved Medjugorje from destruction. He feels it can save our great nation at this most critical time in world history, for it is only through divine intervention that we will prevail against the evil forces that attack us today.

Editor’s note: Louise is from Ashtabula, OH.

10. Carfin Grotto

Carfin Grotto Little me

Mario, I also read the above article in Spiritdaily last night which brought back memories of my first trip to Medjugorje. I went with 9 female friends & we were accompanied by a man called Pat who shared our minibus from Zadar airport to Medjugore & managed to book into our hotel. Pat travelled frequently to Medjugorje & knew useful contacts. (We referred to ourselves as Pat's angels whilst there) Anyway, one evening he took us to that very small Chapel in Medjugorje mentioned in the article. Unfortunately, the fence surrounding it was padlocked so we couldn't get in. (The chapel is so small only maybe 4 or 6 could fit in at same time) An elderly lady in a neighbouring house explained in mix of broken english & sign language that the owner/caretaker was not there due to a bereavement hence reason it was locked. She invited us into her home a few doors away. We were immediately humbled by what we saw....it was so small that we could not all fit in & some of us were standing ouside. Her main living area consisted of her bed, a table, couple of chairs & her fire, but her walls were adorned with holy pictures & statues were on her fireplace. She was surrounded by reminders of her faith......how many of us can say the same? We all gave her some money but she would not let us leave without giving us something in return. She went outside & gave us some walnuts & pomegranetes. I still have those 2 walnuts which remind me of that kind lady.
    On that trip, we also attended Mass in the Divine Mercy church in Surmanci & saw the Miraculous Divine Mercy image. It was a special church & I would love to visit it again.

A local church here is having Divine Mercy services (including confessions & Holy Mass) today from 2pm-5.30pm. I am so looking forward to it & will meet up with friends from our weekly Medjugorje prayer group. Did you know that you can also transfer the graces/complete remission of sins obtained today to a deceased loved one rather than yourself?

Happy Divine Mercy Sunday everyone :D [​IMG]

11. Lee

Lee Principalities

CG, thank you for sharing your story, it's very inspirational and causes me thought.
    We too are blessed to have our priest offering a mass at the Cathedral this afternoon with veneration of a relic of St. Faustina before hand.

Below is a story about my priest and St. Faustina you might find interesting.

These Graces Were No Accident

After Car Wreck in Austria, Family Gives Thanks to St. Faustina

David Leatherby Jr. is driving. His son, Jeremy, is in the passenger's seat, asleep. His daughter, Kimberly, is asleep on the backseat.

It's the middle of the night. They're on a highway in the middle of a foreign country.

Exhausted from several days pilgrimage in Rome, Mr. Leatherby, too, starts dozing off. Suddenly, to his horror, he sees that his rental car is about to slam into the back of an 18-wheeler. He turns the wheel, but it isn't enough. The bumper of the truck shears through the right side of the car.

When the car finally comes to a stop at the edge of the highway median, Mr. Leatherby turns to look at Jeremy. His son's face has been badly disfigured, and he's bleeding profusely. Kimberly is OK.

Mr. Leatherby pulls his son out from the passenger's seat and cradles him in his arms. You spend your entire life as a parent doing everything you can to raise your kids and protect them and keep them safe, and in one moment....

He can't think about any of that now. He knows he needs a miracle. He knows he needs the protection of Our Blessed Mother. He knows he needs the intercession of the saints.

Today, more than six years later, Mr. Leatherby says he knows there was one saint in particular who was watching over him and his children: Saint Faustina Kowalska, the "Apostle of Mercy," who in the 1930s saw extraordinary visions of Jesus that she recorded in her Diary.

"Tell aching mankind to snuggle close to My merciful Heart," Jesus told her, "and I will fill it with peace" (1074).

A Tremendous Conversion
    Mr. Leatherby, of Sacramento, Calif., was not always inclined to turn to Our Lady and the saints for their intercession. But in 1990, he traveled to Medjugorje, in Bosnia-Herzegovina, where Our Lady has reportedly been appearing since 1981 (though the Church has not ruled on the apparitions). That trip changed everything for him.

"I experienced a tremendous conversion there," says Mr. Leatherby, who works in commercial real estate and whose family owns ice cream parlors that have become northern California landmarks. "Through that trip, I was given a tremendous grace to know that the Catholic faith is true."

When he returned home, Mr. Leatherby began to incorporate his newfound faith in all aspects of his life, including in the rearing of his four children. His wife, Jennifer, also experienced a conversion over time.

As for Jeremy, he became profoundly influenced by his father's faith. After one year at the University of Notre Dame, Jeremy announced that he believed that God was calling him to become a priest. He went on to the college seminary, at St. Charles Borromeo in Philadelphia. In 2000, his final year in college seminary, his father invited him on a trip to Rome to celebrate the Jubilee Year of the Church. They would meet up with Kimberly, who was studying in Austria.

"We spent several days in Rome," says Mr. Leatherby. "It was great — having my two kids there. We had the most wonderful experiences, visiting all the churches and praying together."

After several days, it was time for Kimberly to return to classes in Austria.

"By the time we left, it was evening, and Kimberly had to start school the next day," recalls Mr. Leatherby. "So I rented a car and started driving from Rome to Austria, which is a 12-hour drive."

He remembers driving along a highway in Austria where cars travel at speeds upwards of 90 mph. It was about 3 a.m. when the accident occurred. It was a cold, dark October evening, and he'll never forget it.

We Must Pray
    First came the impact. Mr. Leatherby's head slammed into the windshield and cracked the glass, and he blacked out for a moment. Their car finally stopped with its edge dangerously close to oncoming traffic. To add to the trouble, the car's lights were smashed, making the car nearly invisible to oncoming motorists.

"Dad, what happened? What happened?" Kimberly shouted from the back seat.

"Kimberly, I hit a truck," Mr. Leatherby responded.

"Are you guys all right?" she asked.

Mr. Leatherby looked over at Jeremy, who was dazed, but awake.

"His upper and lower jaw were broken," says Mr. Leatherby. "His bottom teeth were knocked out. His eye socket and cheek on one side of his face were shattered. I couldn't even recognize him. I thought, 'Oh my God, I've killed my son!'

"So I jumped up. I opened the door quickly on my side. I tried to open Jeremy's door, but the car was smashed, and the door wouldn't budge. All of a sudden a car goes by and misses us by inches.

Mr. Leatherby pried his fingers through the cracked windshield and yanked the glass back and out of the way. He reached in and grabbed Jeremy and heaved him onto his shoulders while Kimberly ran across the highway to try to flag down a motorist to help.

"I'm sitting there holding him," Mr. Leatherby recalls. "Jeremy is just shivering. He's awake, and he just keeps saying, 'Dad, it hurts so bad. Dad, it hurts so bad.' He is trying to touch his face, but I won't let him. I'm holding him like a little baby, cradling him like a baby.

"I just say to him, 'Jeremy, you've always been a small kid, but you were always the toughest kid on the football team. And now you're really going to have to be tough.' Then, he starts saying, 'Dad, I want to die, I want to die.' "

Mr. Leatherby then tells his son that he must ask Our Blessed Mother for help, and that he must pray to the saints.

"It's the most amazing thing," says Mr. Leatherby. "I was holding him, and all of a sudden I felt like what Our Blessed Mother must have felt holding the body of her Son. Then, a tremendous calm came over me. It's hard to describe. But I was no longer anxious. I wasn't worried. I knew this whole ordeal was for a purpose. I had this instant thought that Our Lady went through this — only worse.

"This great peace came upon me," Mr. Leatherby recalls. "I knew it was going to be OK — OK, meaning, I didn't know if Jeremy was going to die or not, but I knew that if he did die, it would be OK. It was like this great gift of grace at this moment. I calmed down, and I spoke clearly, and I prayed with Jeremy."

Just then, Kimberly flagged down a car. Mr. Leatherby picked Jeremy up and ran across the highway to her.

"Jeremy was going into shock," recalls Mr. Leatherby.

A Good Samaritan
    Jeremy needed warmth. The driver who pulled over invited them to sit in his car, and he turned on the heater full-blast. They needed to call for medical assistance. The motorist happened to have a cell phone and happened to speak fluent English.

The stranger also happened to have a blanket, which he used to wrap Jeremy.

The medical personnel soon were tending to Jeremy, and the police started taking Mr. Leatherby's statement. But Mr. Leatherby recalls pausing for a moment.

"I looked over at the motorist who pulled over for us — this big, tall, handsome blond guy. All the sudden it hit me. I got this warm feeling inside. I thought, 'You know what, I wonder if he's an angel.'

"There he is: He has everything we need. A cell phone, a blanket, a warm car. He spoke English. And he was so generous to pull over, let us in his car, and let us bleed all over his car.

"And right as I'm looking at him thinking this, he was looking at our car that was smashed. He then turned to me and he said: 'You had angels protecting you tonight.' "

This floored Mr. Leatherby. He knew someone was watching over his family.

Relic of St. Faustina
    Jeremy was taken 25 miles to Vienna to a major trauma hospital. Over a period of two weeks, doctors reconstructed his face. (Mr. Leatherby was also treated for relatively minor injuries.)

Jeremy's vision was restored. The Leatherbys, including Jeremy and his mother, Jennifer, who had flown over, headed back to Sacramento where Jeremy would begin the first of many plastic surgeries.

Just before the plastic surgeries were to begin, Bishop William K. Weigand of the Diocese of Sacramento, visited the Leatherby home. He had heard that Jeremy was going into surgery the next day, and he wished to administer the Anointing of the Sick.

Afterward the Bishop told Jeremy. "You know, I was praying and praying for you Jeremy, and it came to mind that I needed to bring in a relic of a saint who suffered a great deal." He then pulled out a relic of St. Faustina. He said, "I want you to keep this with you, and I'll get it back sometime in the future when you're all recovered."

The Leatherbys knew little of St. Faustina at the time. Occasionally, they had prayed the Chaplet of The Divine Mercy. They owned a copy of her Diary. But the message of The Divine Mercy was not a huge part of their lives.

A few days later, Mr. Leatherby went to his prayer group and told them of how the Bishop brought the relic.

"Then, some woman in the prayer group said, 'Well, gosh, St. Faustina's feast day was two or three weeks ago,' " Mr. Leatherby recalls. "I had no idea."

Her feast day is Oct. 5 — the same date as the accident.

Mr. Leatherby came home that day and said, "Jeremy, I think there's more to St. Faustina than we thought. It seems it might not be a coincidence that the Bishop brought a relic."

A Trip to Krakow
    As expected, Jeremy went on to endure intense suffering as doctors sought to restore his face to what it looked like before the accident. And all the while he had the relic of St. Faustina.

In the meantime, Jeremy completed his course work from the seminary. He graduated first in his class in May, 2001.

To celebrate and to offer thanks to St. Faustina for her intercession, Mr. Leatherby took his family to Poland to visit St. Faustina's former convent in Krakow.

During a tour of the convent, a nun asked the Leatherbys why they had come.

"I told her about the accident, and she had this kind of deer-in-the-headlights look, and she said, 'May I tell you a story? I think that it's no accident that you are here.' "

The nun proceeded to reveal how her sister and her sister's husband also had recently gotten into a car wreck and how her sister's husband suffered brain damage as a result. The doctors advised that he be taken off life support because he was unable to breathe on his own and was not expected to recover from his vegetative state.

The nun went on to say how on the night after she was told of the doctors' advice, St. Faustina came to her in her sleep and said: "Appeal to Jesus, The Divine Mercy. Ask Him."

When the nun awoke, she immediately called her sister and said, "Do not unhook those tubes!" Her sister listened to her. Miraculously, the husband made a full recovery. He is fine today. He has no brain damage.

His wreck, too, occurred on Oct. 5, 2000, on the Feast Day of St. Faustina, in the Jubilee Year — the year St. Faustina was canonized as the first saint of the new millennium!

"For us, this was real confirmation that St. Faustina had been involved in all of this — that she was interceding for us," says Mr. Leatherby.

The sisters, who belong to the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy, didn't have guest accommodations like they do now. But they invited the Leatherbys to stay with them.

The next morning, Jeremy went down into the sisters' chapel to say his morning prayers. By the time Mr. Leatherby made his way down there, the chapel was filled with nuns singing and praying.

"I looked and saw one white shirt in the middle of all these black-clad nuns," Mr. Leatherby recalls. "It was Jeremy in the middle of about 100 nuns. I thought, 'What is he doing? Didn't he have the common sense to get up and leave when he saw all these nuns coming?' He's in the middle of their morning prayers."

Afterwards, Jeremy explained to his father: "Dad, one of the sisters came and sat next to me all by herself, and she smiled. Then another came and sat in front of me. Then another came and sat on the other side of me. I realized they were coming in, and I got up to leave, but one of the nuns put her hand on my shoulder and pressed down and said, 'We are offering our morning prayer for you.' "

"Pretty awesome!" Mr. Leatherby says as he recalls that morning.

'I Arrange Things'
    Today, Jeremy is a priest, in the Diocese of Sacramento, close to home. And his parents are thrilled.

Our Lord told St. Faustina: "I arrange things" (Diary, 1147). Later, St. Faustina wrote: "Jesus gave me to know that even the smallest thing does not happen on earth without His will." (1262).

Mr. Leatherby says he and his family have come to understand this. That late night accident was no "accident." Rather, it was an opportunity to draw closer to Christ, the very Incarnation of Divine Mercy, and to fully experience the love and peace of God.

"We owe a lot to St. Faustina," says Mr. Leatherby. "I've been given the gift to understand that the words of Jesus in the Diary are true — that every single tiny thing is looked after by God and His saints. I know many people feel God is so far away and wonder if He hears their prayers. He does.

"I've also been given the gift to understand how important trust is," he says. "As my daughter Kimberly says, we always attribute original sin to pride, but first it was a loss of trust in God. The devil got us to doubt God's love for us.

"When we lose trust in God, that's when we fall."

12. padraig

padraig Powers

I am just back from the Divine Mercy Sunday service and am so very,very grateful and happy.

I wonder if all the srvices all over the world are te smae? I suppose they are as they go down by the forula written by St Faustina in her diary. A long time abut three hours or more in our little Cathderal.

Everytime I go I am reminded of my mother. I more nor less talked her into going a couple of years before she died .very anxious that she should get these graces as I knew she was unwell at the time.

They told a story I have heard a few times. A young man was dying of Cancer up at Belvoir Park cancer hospital here in Belfast a few years back. is mother had a great devotion to Divine Mercy and was praying for her son. Her son reported that a nun, 'With a strange veil' and dressed as no other nun he had ever seen before had visited him in hospital. She said nothing, but stood looking at him a while. He later identified her as St Faustina from a picture of her his mother had in her bedroom. When he died his mother said a great light shone in his hosptial room.

[​IMG]

I admit I was a little lukewarm about this devotion many years ago when I first heard about it but as the years have gone past I have got more and more a great taste for it. I find more and more depths to it. Especially this Divine Mercy Sunday.

I must admit for myself a lot of my devotion sweeps around Mary Mother of Mercy, because it washrough Mary I was converted.

Very,very,very happy. What great sinner would not be ? As a special gift from God the young priest preached on hell and sin. You could have knocked me over with a feather. :lol: :lol: Talk about an answer to prayer. :D :D

[​IMG]

By the way I have noticed on a few occassions in the past a few folks kinda staring over at me in services like this in the past. If you recognise me from this forum or elsewhere don't be afraid to come over for a chat, I don't bite and would love to meet. :wink:

13. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

I'm a little envious but I'm not sure if I need to worry since I do attend confession regularly. Do we need to have a formal recognition of Devine Mercy Sunday if you are a regular attendee at mass and confession? I confess I'm confused by our parish's lack of attention to it.
    We do not have a Devine Mercy mass- although I think the younger priests who come through wish we did, as they invariably mention it during mass each year. I asked last year why not have one and got the excuse- we are so busy already with confirmations and first communion masses.
    I guess change comes slowly sometimes. I like this devotion but don't think I really know how to add it into my life if the church we attend doesn't recognize it formally. ?

Lee: These stories made me cry. I love how God makes little things happen and the idea that angels are around us active in our lives.

It's a great comfort. Kath

14. Mario

Mario Powers

Kathleen,

No, the requirements are simple.

Holy Mass, reception of Holy Communion, and a wonderful delight in the mercies of Christ. Of course, confession is required, though not necessarily on the day itself. For instance, my beautiful wife, Geralyn, and my precious daughter, Therese, went to confession on Saturday; I'll be going this Wednesday at 6pm. Though I don't remember it being mentioned, I always throw in some prayers for Pope Benedict! :D

15. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

That's great. I guess I'm getting confused because somewhere I read that the church would need to have a picture of the Devine Mercy to venerate up and showing during the mass. Also, aren't there prayers that need to be said everyday?

But if you are going to confession anyway- how does this mass do more than that act? I don't mean to challenge- I am really curious about what the mass means. I always had the impression that it was a call to those who don't attend church- sort of a quick way to jump back in again and start up nice and clean again. I think I'm missing something important here.

thanks for helping, Kath

16. padraig

padraig Powers

In the early days of prayer I used to love Devotions to various things and must have follwed a hundred of them. The Holy Souls. the angels, the saints, the roasary, the Stations of the Cross, the Passion, Sacramentals, the Devotions of St Bridgid , the list was endless and I think I found it very helpful at that time.

However the difficulty can come can come when Devotions that are in place to help us can become onerous and the chains sent down from heaven to help us climb entangle us. This in fact was one of the central criticisms of the Protestant, 'Reformers' ..that devoional exercises were entangling souls from the central of Chirst and the basic Christian message in all its ancient purity. That Devotions far from leading us to Chirst were seperating from Christ.

The tunrover point for me came when I entered the monastery. Their was a whole new spirituality there and transposing my devotions into the new way of life were impossible. Instead of being chains that raised me up they became chains to bind me.

THe Church teaches us that we to treat such devotions with great freedom, those that help we can use..if we wish..those that we want to drop we drop. The main logic being use what helps loose what don't. Don't let these chains bind you, let them lift you up.

I think that was one fo the reasons why I was resistant to the Divine Mercy Devotion at first but like a fine wine it has grown on me. But folks should not feel obliged in any way to follow it. Its a bit like a brand new automobile with all its extras we may not really need a sat nav an onboard computer , metalic paint and A/C on the other hand we may want them.

I think Devotions are a bolt on extra. Freedom on taking them up and dropping them just as Chirst is central.

The very centre of my own spiritual life Devotion to Our Blessed Lady but Mary in this leads me to the feet of Jesus and dissappears. If Devotion to Mary fogged over Jesus I would stop such Devotion at once.

The key thing to Devotionalism is freedom in the Holy Spirit. Chains that life not chains that bind.

I notice this in the CHurches I go into . Some souls inspire me by their Devotional exercises. One beautiful young woman I notice says the Stations of the Cross each morning and ends by lighting a candle at Our Lady's statue. I find this so beautiful and inspiring.

But another lady whom I have named, 'The pious one' is not so good with her devotional exercises. She holds up the communion queque with constant stopping and going, her stops at statues are very noticeable and extrvagant. She jumps in fromt of people and is always the centre of attention. The other week I knocked over her prayer book and provoked a tantrum in which she loudly accused me of stealing her prayer card. For the one there is a golden chain that lifts up for the other a lead chain that grinds down.

When Padre Pio was alive there was a group of ladies who always stole the best seats at morning mass and were rude and nasty to vistors, especially foreing ones. A sure sign of devotion gone nuts. I remeber myself being thrown on the floor one time at mass by a lady who beieved I had taken her regular seat.

Devotions are emant to be stairways to the sky, not the basemnt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But freedom, freedom, freedom in all such matters, perfect freedom in the Spirit.

[​IMG]

17. Daniel

Daniel Angels

When a candidate comes forward to join our SFO fraternity, our Franciscan advisor always recommends that he grant them dispensation from all previous devotions so they can say the daily office per the SFO Rule. There is often an overwhelming sense of freedom for people to be dispensed by a priest from the devotions they would feel guilty letting go on their own. You are still free to pray the rosary or practice any other devotion but as Padraig mentioned we must be unburdened to follow where the Holy Spirit leads.

18. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

Since November of last year, I've begun to dwell very deep in the promises that the Divine Mercy espouses. To me, there is nothing like it. The prayer itself, while brief, is so powerful in it's depiction of the Passion.
    I went to Divine Sunday mass in St John's cathedral in Limerick. So many people there, everyone in deep devotion, everyone accepting the gift to personally ask Jesus for help, support. I love it, I really do...

19. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

That's beautiful.
    I take it that the Divine Mercy prayer can be said outside of the experience of the Divine Mercy mass and have been doing this on occasion for the past year. I love it put to music, honestly and pull it up on my phone to listen to and sing with when I'm waiting for my kids to get out of their activities.
    I just get confused about the mass itself as it is something that the pope has encouraged but our church has not picked it up. That bothers me and I'm trying to sort out why they haven't decided it something worth pursuing. I don't know if I'm being denied something I need, or if all is just fine and having one church in the community with this practice is enough to meet the needs of those who wish to re-enter the church.
    Any thoughts?

20. padraig

padraig Powers

http://marian.org/divinemercy/story.php?NID=2485

I am not a theologian or an expert on such matters Kathleen but perhaps the above link will help.

The big draw for me, personally is that coporeal punishments will be remitted. I am a big sinner and that is a big plus.Actions have consequences and I seek to avoid the consequneces of some very bad act.

I think you can see that in scripture for instance when King David took someones else's wife to bed ( Bathsheeba} and caused her husband to be murdered in battle. King David repented but God told David even after he repented and was forgiven that certain consequences would follow:

2 Samuel 11
    David and Bathsheba
    1 In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, David sent Joab out with the king’s men and the whole Israelite army. They destroyed the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. But David remained in Jerusalem.

2 One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, 3 and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, “She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite.” 4 Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her. (Now she was purifying herself from her monthly uncleanness.) Then she went back home. 5 The woman conceived and sent word to David, saying, “I am pregnant.”

6 So David sent this word to Joab: “Send me Uriah the Hittite.” And Joab sent him to David. 7 When Uriah came to him, David asked him how Joab was, how the soldiers were and how the war was going. 8 Then David said to Uriah, “Go down to your house and wash your feet.” So Uriah left the palace, and a gift from the king was sent after him. 9 But Uriah slept at the entrance to the palace with all his master’s servants and did not go down to his house.

10 David was told, “Uriah did not go home.” So he asked Uriah, “Haven’t you just come from a military campaign? Why didn’t you go home?”

11 Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah are staying in tents,[a] and my commander Joab and my lord’s men are camped in the open country. How could I go to my house to eat and drink and make love to my wife? As surely as you live, I will not do such a thing!”

12 Then David said to him, “Stay here one more day, and tomorrow I will send you back.” So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. 13 At David’s invitation, he ate and drank with him, and David made him drunk. But in the evening Uriah went out to sleep on his mat among his master’s servants; he did not go home.

14 In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it with Uriah. 15 In it he wrote, “Put Uriah out in front where the fighting is fiercest. Then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die.”

16 So while Joab had the city under siege, he put Uriah at a place where he knew the strongest defenders were. 17 When the men of the city came out and fought against Joab, some of the men in David’s army fell; moreover, Uriah the Hittite died.

18 Joab sent David a full account of the battle. 19 He instructed the messenger: “When you have finished giving the king this account of the battle, 20 the king’s anger may flare up, and he may ask you, ‘Why did you get so close to the city to fight? Didn’t you know they would shoot arrows from the wall? 21 Who killed Abimelek son of Jerub-Besheth? Didn’t a woman drop an upper millstone on him from the wall, so that he died in Thebez? Why did you get so close to the wall?’ If he asks you this, then say to him, ‘Moreover, your servant Uriah the Hittite is dead.’”

22 The messenger set out, and when he arrived he told David everything Joab had sent him to say. 23 The messenger said to David, “The men overpowered us and came out against us in the open, but we drove them back to the entrance of the city gate. 24 Then the archers shot arrows at your servants from the wall, and some of the king’s men died. Moreover, your servant Uriah the Hittite is dead.”

25 David told the messenger, “Say this to Joab: ‘Don’t let this upset you; the sword devours one as well as another. Press the attack against the city and destroy it.’ Say this to encourage Joab.”

26 When Uriah’s wife heard that her husband was dead, she mourned for him. 27 After the time of mourning was over, David had her brought to his house, and she became his wife and bore him
    a son. But the thing David had done displeased the LORD.