Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by DesertStar7, Oct 30, 2019.

1. AED

AED Powers

YES. It is my go to prayer when praying for others who have asked for my prayers.

josephite, Sanctus, Rose and 2 others like this.
  2. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

Thank you again. :) I've read similar (last week), but it's always a plus to HEAR a person reading. And it's been a difficult day in weird ways :notworthy: so much needed!

I've just returned from my local Catholic store (it is a "Mexican" Catholic store - so called by Hispanic locals), a nice mix of English and Spanish goods.

She has Sacred Heart of Jesus Scapulars in stock. Of course I bought one. :love:

She also carries little bottles of Holy Water from Lourdes (perhaps a tablespoonful), with a lovely prayer-card (full color) depiction of St. Bernadette kneeling before Our Lady. Beautiful! I bought one, which the lady told me to mix with purified water. We'll both use it.

p.s. - yes, some righteous anger is in order (Bishops).

3. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

SIXTH PRAYER (of St. Gertrude)

O Jesus, inexhaustible fountain of pity, remember now that bitterness which Thou didst
    endure when, Thy strength being exhausted and Thy sacred Body dried up, Thou didst
    feel that burning thirst, and hadst not one drop of water to cool Thy parched tongue, but
    only vinegar upon hyssop; I beseech Thee that Thou wouldst extinguish in me the
    thirst of carnal concupiscence and worldly delights. Amen.

THE TWO FLOWER PRAYERS (of St. Gertrude)

HAIL, White Lily, of the ever-peaceful and glorious Trinity!
    Hail, Vermilion Rose, the delight of Heaven, of whom the King
    of Heaven was born and by whose milk He was nourished!
    Do thou feed our souls with the effusions of your divine influences.

Hail! Vivifying Gem of Divine Nobility!
    Hail, Most Loving Jesus, Unfading
    Flower of Human Dignity!
    Thou art my Sovereign and only Good.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Gertrude/sg-text1.htm#1

josephite likes this.
  4. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

O Jesus, Who dost live in Mary, come and live in Thy servants,
    in the spirit of Thine own holiness,
    in the fullness of Thy power,
    in the reality of Thy virtues,
    in the perfection of Thy ways,
    in the communion of Thy Mysteries;
    have Thou dominion over every adverse power,
    in Thine own Spirit, to the glory of Thy Father.

Amen.

-M. Olier

5. I remember having a dream of the Sacred Heart in the dream his face was in a dense foggy mist as the mist started to dissappear I could see the tip of his beard immediately I felt a pain in my heart I awoke thinking I was having a heart attack I remember thinking boy oh boy if all I saw was his beard what would his face truly be like....
    Sacred Heart of Jesus thy kingdom come
    Sacred Heart of Jesus thy kingdom come
    Sacred Heart of Jesus thy kingdom come :love:

Seagrace, AED, josephite and 3 others like this.
  6. BrianK

BrianK Proud2bRC Staff Member

There was a controversy in the past in which some claimed the Divine Mercy Devotion was a “cheap grace” replacement for the more efficacious Sacred Heart Devotion, and that the former was a substitute lacking the true contrition for our sins found in the latter.

Having just completed a year volunteering with a lay ecclesial group associated with the Divine Mercy Shrine (and therefore I can see the value of it!), this is a subject I’ve had in the back of my mind and struggled with for years.

The Divine Mercy apostolate of course emphasizes that THIS is a time of great mercy.

I just wonder now if that’s still true, and if a Sacred Heart Devotion might now be more appropriate.

Maybe no one else thinks about these things, but I have and still do.

josephite and DesertStar7 like this.
  7. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

I've never heard of the Divine Mercy Devotion.

I did read elsewhere (here? or one of my books?) that devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is considered "antiquated"(??).

This devotion has been a HUGE spiritual bonus for me. Even my Protestant husband is impressed and supportive. :love:

If it's "antiquated," well here's to "antiquated"! :D

Mario and BrianK like this.
  8. BrianK

BrianK Proud2bRC Staff Member

Yes, that was part of it - the Sacred Heart devotion was antiquated while the Divine Mercy Devotion, because it was promoted by St. Pope JPII, is more appropriate to our enlightened post VII time.

DesertStar7 likes this.
  9. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

I'd been under the impression that either St. Mechtilde (1241-1298) or St. Gertrude (1223-1292) were the first to receive messages and visions of the Sacred Heart, but apparently it was St. Lutgarde (1182-1246).

"What Are These Wounds" by Thomas Merton arrived in the mail today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1614276064/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll begin reading it tonight. :love:

10. Indy

Indy Praying

That video is beautiful I feel really uplifted after watching it. Thanks.

josephite and DesertStar7 like this.
  11. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Both devotions are indulgenced and holy. We can have both.

josephite, Sam and BrianK like this.
  12. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

13. josephite

josephite Powers

Thank you Padraig,
    Father Hardon is/was a very holy priest with such wise words, who was clearly lead by the Holy Ghost!
    A helpful hint for others who like to listen to his talks, is setting the video and audio speed to 1.25 on the settings.
    It does not disturb his talk.

AED, Mario and padraig like this.
  14. josephite

josephite Powers

To me, the two devotions, go hand in glove.:love:

15. padraig

padraig New Member

I especially love the promises of the Sacred Heart and hold them to my own heart.

I found an old picture of the Sacred Heart up and alley way yars ago in the most beautiful gold leaf antique frame. I find in times of trouble just looking at it bring me great peace.

https://www.getfed.com/12-promises-sacred-heart-of-jesus-2-6075/

[​IMG]

The 12 Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

1. I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.

2. I will establish peace in their homes.

3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.

4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.

5. I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.

6. Sinners will find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.

7. Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.

8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.

9. I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored.

10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.

11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart.

12. I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.

Sanctus, AED, DesertStar7 and 2 others like this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

By far, far, far and awaythe biggest Promise was the last one.

12. I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.

AED, HeavenlyHosts and DesertStar7 like this.
  17. Mario

Mario Powers

Yes, I have held the Promises of the Sacred Heart close to mine, especially the twelfth; it was one my parents encouraged! :cool::)

O Sacred Heart have mercy on me!

AED, DesertStar7 and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  18. padraig

padraig New Member

One time, many years ago, during the war here, I had been working in London and came back home on holiday. Late one night I was on my own and began looking at and praying too Our Family Sacred Heart picture. I had known it from childhood and goodness did I love that old picture.

But as I was praying I felt the Lord telling me that I was invery great danger that people would try to kill me in the next fow months.

Well I went back to London and I could not shake that feeling; that I was in GreatDanger. The time was coming round forme to go back to ireland for good but I grew more and more concerned. There was a young black Priest in the parish there; I think he was the first Black Caribeann Londoner to be ordained. He was a very holy young man indeed. So I went round to see him to tell him may concern. I thought he would think I was crazy, but he saw me in CHurch every day and did not seem a bit faxed , like it was the most natural thing in the world. He thoughtabout it and said to me that it was meant for me it would happen , running away from it would not help.

Soiwent back home and a couple of weks later a couple of gun men came to kill me one Sunday morning. My brother answered the door and seeing the gun threw a cup of hot coffee he had in his hand in his face. Then two Rottweillers in the house attacked them. As they fled people going to mass saw them and threw bricks and bottles at them.

I think they eneded up sorry they came calling.

But looking back on it, if the Sacred Heart had not warned me I would not have prayed so much for protection and so would have wound up dead.
    Strange sad, happy memory.

Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, we place our trust in thee!!

upload_2019-11-26_4-9-53.jpeg

Mario, Pray4peace, Indy and 5 others like this.
  19. AED

AED Powers

I think about it too Brian. I have a deep abiding love for the Sacred Heart. The 9 first Fridays are not antiquated. Also I am very drawn to the revelations of the Sacred Heart to Sister Josefa Menendez published in her diary in the late 1920's. This doesnt mean I dont pray the Divine Mercy chaplet. I do. And I have the Divine Mercy picture in my room but pride of place goes to my picture of the Sacred Heart in the main area of my home. And I urge everyone to make daily consecrations to the Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart. This is strong powerful spiritual armor.

20. padraig

padraig New Member

It's wonderful as a Catholic to have the Freedom to wander about the different devotions. It like a huge garden full of wonderful flowers. At the moment I am going through a huge St Michael the Arcangel phase.

I suppose it will be a bit like this in heaven for all eternity. So much to love and learn from each.

[​IMG]