Depressed

Discussion in 'Prayer requests' started by RosaryWielder, Sep 20, 2020.

1. BrianK

BrianK Proud2bRC Staff Member

Thanks Shae.

I just wrote this to an old friend seeking some advice regarding this subject:

Depression

I think all of us go through depression. I know I did as a young adult and into my married life.

I think there are two kinds of depression, 1) the far more common inability to cope with and accept our current state in life and its concomitant duties and obligations and 2) an organic depression due to inherited tendencies and brain chemical imbalances. There can also be mixtures of 1) and 2).

But even if one suffers from 2), one can still get a handle on depression in how one either grasps the spiritual role in it, or refuses to see or admit it.

We all have crosses. Life isn’t always “pretty.” It doesn’t always turn out the way we had hoped or dreamed. Our duties and obligations often seem absurd or beyond our abilities or frankly, they repulse us.

But despite all that, we have to accept our current state in life and duties and obligations as God’s Holy Will, something He is permitting (not positively Willing but allowing) for our sanctification and salvation.

When depression sets in it is often because we allow our current circumstances - permitted by God for our sanctification - to overwhelm us or drive us to despair. We just hate our current situation and we hate that God is permitting it.

The only way out of that thinking pattern, which drives us deeper into despair and depression, is to accept our current situation with Acts of Faith, Hope, Love and Trust.

“Jesus, I believe in you and your Church. You take care of it.

“Jesus, I hope in you. You take care of it.

“Jesus, I trust in you. You take care of it.

“Jesus, I love you. You take care of it.

“I embrace these crosses That you will not lift right now in reparation for my sins, for the sins of others, and for all lost souls.”

We have to embrace those crosses that, in our prayers for relief, God does not lift from us.

We have no choice. Otherwise they’ll defeat us and drive us deeper into depression.

Insofar as our depression might be “organic” or inherited, we must seek competent help.

But here still, it does no good to “kick against the goad.” We still must accept it as God’s permissive Will for us, for our sanctification and salvation, at this moment in time, until God Himself lifts it, or modern techniques and treatments help alleviate it.

Be at peace. God knows you’re struggling. Leave it in His hands as much as possible and gently turn away from every thought or action that deepens your depression, even as you would turn from any temptation not to Hope, Love and Trust God or to sin.

Let the prayer “Jesus, I trust in you, you take care of it” be on your lips and in your heart every moment of every day, even if you’re depressed.

And ask God for a break every now and then, when that cross seems more than you can bear at that moment.

He will give it to you. He has for me.

Mario, Jo M, Beth B and 4 others like this.
  2. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

Thanks, I'm working on this.

Beth B, Shae, BrianK and 2 others like this.
  3. AidanK

AidanK A great sinner

The power of the Rosary is second only to the power of Holy Mass

Beth B, AED, Shae and 3 others like this.
  4. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

I still need to go to confession, and now it's going to take over a week for me to go. Please pray that I can make it through this, and not pile-up mortal sins in the process.

Jo M, Beth B, Sam and 2 others like this.
  5. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Will do

Beth B likes this.
  6. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

I stopped by my parents house today, and among the things I found to take home with me, I found this green rosary. (I don't know where it came from, maybe the mail?) It looks a bit like the Fatima 100th Anniversary Rosary (I have one but both it and an Hispanic Rosary I have are missing.) but it's got green beads and the metal is gold coloured. The medal has an image of Our Lady of Fatima on it, and on the back the words "I Hope in Thee," I prayed it before dinner this evening and plan to pray it again before I go to bed.

7. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

I'm having problems today because tomorrow, I'm going to try and put an end to something that contributed to the episode of depression I've had here. I'm worried I won't be able to, I've been worrying about it all day; I desperately want to get this thing over with and get on with my life.

Please pray that I do and continue doing my work, and getting closer to my vocation.

I'm realizing more and more that my no. 1 defect is Acedia.

Jo M, HeavenlyHosts and DesertStar7 like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I had to look that word up. The evil one is really busy trying to get us off track. I have feelings like that, too. But I pray to get rid of them. I have also asked Jesus to lighten up my cross a little so I don’t feel too overburdened and feel like giving up. Also I hate summer as it makes me feel totally unmotivated:LOL:
    I’m doing much better since the season changed.

RosaryWielder, DesertStar7 and Jo M like this.
  9. Jo M

Jo M Powers

I pray the Lord will bless you with a good tomorrow so you can move forward. Take heart RW, navigating through these days is a tremendous challenge.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” (Psalm 51:12)

10. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 + To Jesus through Mary @-}--

Me too! And I'm quite well read.

I can relate to you both, in a different way. For years woke up in a good mood, now it's a low-simmering grouchiness until Noon. Try to ignore it, certainly don't let husband sense it.

Also a lingering heaviness.

Life was very tough for us / me from 2001 to 2005 especially, but this current time is worse.

Pray and work to ignore!

HeavenlyHosts, Jo M and RosaryWielder like this.
  11. Mario

Mario Powers

Praying...:love::D:notworthy:

12. Mario

Mario Powers

A thorough, loving and yes, challenging reply.

13. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

Thanks I really appreciate this.

14. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

I'm still working on trying to resolve this issue I'm dealing with, please keep up your prayers.

Sam, Jo M and DesertStar7 like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

Praying not to soon to be Blessed Carlos Acutis for both.:) He is to be Beatified on October 20th.

Patron Saint of the Internet. :)

RosaryWielder and DesertStar7 like this.
  16. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

Okay it's all but over now. Thank you very much with your prayers. :)

Now I just got to focus on overcoming Acedia.

Sam, DesertStar7, Jo M and 1 other person like this.
  17. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

It’s always something :confused:

RosaryWielder and Jo M like this.
  18. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

I've been fairing well so far, since I've now discovered that this seems to be my primary defect.

Still, I shouldn't let my guard down.

DesertStar7 and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  19. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

(y)

RosaryWielder likes this.
  20. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

Okay, it's all over now.

Please pray that I peacefully move on now, and focus on other things in my life; primarily fulfilling my vocation of marriage and family life. (I'm on fiverr and trying to set up and sell gigs; I also have a girlfriend and am praying that God either develop or end our relationship depending on whether or not she's the one for me.)