Darrell's Musings

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by darrell, Jan 13, 2010.

1. darrell

darrell New Member

One of my new year’s goals is to contribute a little more regularly on the forum. With that in mind and if it’s OK with everyone, thought I’d share a little of my personal perspective on the world and life in general right now. I don’t have anything profound or any great insight – I just feel led to share. Of course, everyone is free to pitch in, ask questions or give feedback. The more the merrier.

In my personal life on the one hand, 2009 was a challenging year for my family. My mother suffers from a myriad of medical issues and her health continues to deteriorate. Last January, my youngest son Dustin spent nine days in the hospital for a ruptured appendix. No sooner had he got home when we received a phone call telling us Liane’s dad had fallen down the stairs and suffered an intracranial bleed. It didn’t look good, but he survived and has recovered with very minor neurological deficits. Praise God! Liane’s mom had several hospitalizations, and she passed on December 12th after a long battle with emphysema. Hail Mary…

On the other hand, 2009 was a very good year for me in many respects. I continue to work in ministry with a very Spirit-filled group of people in our parish. I feel very blessed that the Lord has led me to where I am today. Had some great camping trips with my kids, and went on an awesome elk hunting trip with a good friend. I’ve taken up a new fitness program and am working myself back into shape. I’m very pleased to announce that I finished a book which I started writing over three years ago! Turns out this may end up as a number of smaller books as it was too big (in scope, not size.) The first should be published in the next six months, God willing.

After completing the book about four months ago, I entered into a period of spiritual dryness. Praying the Rosary, once my refuge, became – as it was for my friend St. Therese the Little Flower – a chore. However, my faith remains as strong as it ever was.

Despite all the uncertainties in the world today (an unstable economy, terrorism, war, natural disasters – all a result and reflection of the ever-declining moral fabric of our society), as well as the uncertainty in our personal lives (we never know what’s around the next bend), life is good. I have a decent job, good health and my family which brings me great joy. I haven’t felt this alive in years. I know this could all change in a heartbeat, this very second some unseen sorrow or suffering barreling down the road from some unexpected illness, accident or malicious act. But I don’t worry about it because I have faith, and my faith allows me to live today with more passion. None of us knows if we will even be here tomorrow. Que sera, sera!

\
    ]

2. padraig

padraig New Member

Its wonderful the way , though you carry your own crosses you reach out to others ,Darrell. The grape, once crushed, crushed brings forth wine.

3. Lee

Lee Principalities

Darrell, it's so good to have you back writing again, you were missed. I look forward to your thoughts...and book.

Gail

4. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Darrell - loved your post and reflections which eminate from a 'living faith', which is a weave of
    consolations and thorns, ups and downs but one thing [thankfully] remains constant, the faithful
    love of our Father, God.

5. Seán

Seán New Member

Nice to see you back Darrell, and blessings for you and your family for the coming year!

6. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Darrell,
    2009 has also presented me and my family with many challenges and I continue to hold Mother Mary's hand. Yes the future is uncertain but I am trying to focus on living for today.
    Its good to have you back and I wish you and all those you love a happy and grace filled 2010.

Mary

7. Mario

Mario Powers

Darrell mused:

Despite all the uncertainties in the world today...as well as the uncertainty in our personal lives...life is good.

A priest friend of mine once said: Ungrateful hearts find it hard to pray. Darrell, you obviously do not fall into that camp. It's good to see you pop up! :D

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!