Cynicism...

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by RosaryWielder, Jun 4, 2018.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Hoping to get into the Illuminative stage soon.

I've discovered that one of biggest problems, at the moment at least, is cynicism. I have a hard time trusting people, and I keep worrying about future dangers and challenges.

Before I reverted to the faith, I had developed the habit of assuming that whatever problem or challenge I came across, I'd overestimate its difficulty and threat to the utmost and then work from there, and thought I was being prudent by doing that.

I'm going to be watching Fr. Chad Ripperger's talk on negative thinking after posting this, to see what I do to deal with this. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this, and change my view?

Don_D, Booklady and Carol55 like this.
  2. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

My biggest advice is exactly what you said you were going to do: listen to Fr Rippergers talks. I would add to listen to Sensus Fidelium channel on YouTube, as well as looking up on YouTube talks by priests such as Fr Isaac Mary Relyea and Fr Michael Rodriquez. I also suggest reading “Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence”

AED, Don_D, gracia and 1 other person like this.
  3. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

"Before I reverted to the faith, I had developed the habit of assuming that whatever problem or challenge I came across, I'd overestimate its difficulty and threat to the utmost and then work from there, and thought I was being prudent by doing that."

I do this too. I call it pole vaulting over mouse turds. :)

I think that praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy would help. Father Ripperger recommends this to help with spiritual warfare one might face such as that of negative thinking. I would recommend his video's and also many of them are available to DL as MP3's to listen to on the go as well as many other traditional sound teachings of various Priests here as well as on YT;

https://sentrad.org/multimedia/

One simple thing I think could help is to find something which reminds of our personal devotions and use it in these times when we catch ourselves falling into thoughts that are either self centered or are not constructive and can lead to sin. I will sing to myself the song Ave Maria either just to myself or out loud when things are particularly trying. I have caught myself doing this many times just throughout the day without thinking of it. I think of it as a type of continual prayer.
    Dedications and prayers to our Patron Saint are very beneficial also. Mine has literally saved me at times from intense spiritual attacks when I plead for his intercession and prayers especially before I was confirmed and also in battling fleshly desires.
    Another thing that is easy to overlook is Sacramentals. A small flask of Holy Water, our Rosary carried with us, a particular medal we adore can all help remind us of our proper place in this battle and the tools at our disposal to combat the enemy.