Crusader Music.

Discussion in 'Music' started by padraig, Sep 15, 2018.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

You almost certainly never heard anything like this before. It is Catholic music from the Crusades, from the Knights Templars to be exact, one of many Catholic Military Orders fighting for the Liberation of the Holy Land from Islam.

Warning; no longer politically correct.

[​IMG]

DivineMercy, AED, Indy and 2 others like this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Political correctness be damned.

God is good! At Benediction last night in contemplation and adoration of Our Lord I experienced something incredible. A grace perhaps?
    A wave of strength washed over me, as I gazed at the Blessed Sacrament. A strength and resolve that I have never experienced or known. I knelt there in awe of God's power, strength and love for us. My thought turned to all the men and women down through the ages who have knelt before the Sacrament of Our Lord before entering the battle and I knew the enemies fight is truly fruitless. Our Lord paid the price for salvation should we but seek it with all our heart. We must do the will of the Father but only by His Grace are we able.
    God is raising up men and women who will gladly give their lives for the Truth of Him. His people who will be great great Saints.

The enemy has tried to demoralize us using every vice and weakness of the flesh. If we remain in Him no matter what happens in this world we are covered. He is always with us. He is all strength and power.

Prayer of St. Augustine (†430)
    BEFORE Thine eyes, O Lord, we bring our sins, and we compare them with the stripes we have received.
    If we examine the evil we have wrought, what we suffer is little, what we deserve is great.
    What we have committed is very grievous, what we have suffered is very slight.
    We feel the punishment of sin, yet withdraw not from the obstinacy of sinning.
    Under Thy lash our inconstancy is visited, but our sinfulness is not changed.
    Our suffering soul is tormented, but our neck is not bent.
    Our life groans under sorrow, yet amends not in deed.
    If Thou spare us, we correct not our ways: if Thou punish, we cannot endure it.
    In time of correction we confess our wrongdoing: after Thy visitation we forget that we have wept.
    If Thou stretchest forth Thy hand, we promise amendment; if Thou withholdest the sword, we keep not our promise.
    If Thou strikest, we cry out for mercy; if Thou sparest, we again provoke Thee to strike
    Here we are before Thee, O Lord, confessedly guilty; we know that unless Thou pardon we shall deservedly perish.
    Grant then, O almighty Father, without our deserving it, the pardon we ask; Thou Who madest out of nothing those Who ask Thee. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
    V. Deal not with us, O Lord, according to our sins.
    R. Neither reward us according to our iniquities.
    Let us pray.—O God, Who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy suppliant people, and turn away the scourges of Thy wrath, which we deserve for our sins. Through Christ our Lord. R. Amen.

AED, padraig and gracia like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

I read one theologian who lived through Nazi Germany and said it was much more difficult to keep the Faith now than then.

Don_D, gracia and AED like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

Thankyou Don. What a powerful post.

gracia likes this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

Wow. Makes me think of St Anthony of Egypt. His followers said “will those of the latter days be able to do the works that we do?” And he answered “men of the latter days will be fortunate to be able to pray one Our Father and yet they will be greater than we because we battle Satan chained. They will battle Satan unchained”

I draw great comfort from this.

DivineMercy, Don_D and gracia like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

Heart warming. I think we are being driven more and more back to kneel before Jesus in the Tabernacles of our hearts.

Not a bad place to be.

Don_D, gracia and AED like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

By the way the Great Failure of the Catholic Military Orders was that violence and Celibacy just don't go together. If you are warrior it is nearly impossible to keep celibacy, which is logical if you think about it a little.

I think they did loads better with Lay Third Orders.

8. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I find this music to be inspiring especially in times of sorrow. I listen to virtually no secular music anymore and find no value in it. It is like a curse that clouds ones thoughts.

I guess I am not real fun at parties lol.

DivineMercy, AED and gracia like this.
  9. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

The only place to be truly.

DivineMercy and gracia like this.
  10. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

gracia, DivineMercy and AED like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

I always found it touching that they use the Litany of the Saints at Exorcisms, very touching.

12. AED

AED Powers

I find I cannot bear it even if someone else has it on— in a car at a stoplight or in a restaurant. It is so intrusive and harsh and banal. I love Gregorian chant and old authentic ballads—folk music that is traditional and some classical music but strangely what I like most is silence. This is a new thing. Perhaps it is age.

gracia, Don_D, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  13. padraig

padraig New Member

Sometimes if there is hymn book in Church and I find it , I love to sit and sing hymns. :)

All on my own.:)

HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  14. AED

AED Powers

Yes. Me too. And this song In Christ Alone is sort of my anthem. Five years ago in a Holy Hour as I was just really doing nothing but looking at the Monstrance I had an experience of the Blessed Mother. I didn’t see her physically but I “saw” her standing next to the Blessed Sacrament and she said “ the times of times are upon us. Where will YOU stand?” It jolted me. Frightened me. I said “I stand with Christ! And with you.” And looked up the song in my hymnal and prayed the words. I pray and it sing it frequently to remind myself. Our Mother is a true mother. She was shaking me awake from a kind of torpor.

gracia, Don_D, padraig and 2 others like this.
  15. DivineMercy

DivineMercy Archangels

Not age AED - it's our state of mind. We deeply realize the emptiness and fruitless mess of it all and it has no hold on us :)

gracia, AED, Don_D and 1 other person like this.
  16. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

“All is vanity”
    Ecclesiastes 1
    My grandma used to say this to my uncle

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    gracia and AED like this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

Well really it is a great , honour and privledge to born in this huge times of testing, right beofre, I believe the Ceming Great Persecution and Great Efflux of Blood.

When I was at school , very, very young (about 4 or 5 years old) we had some really tremendous religious borthers as teachers, the De La Salle. One book they used to read from was stories of the deaths of the Martyrs. They used to tell of the visions of the return of the dead martys and that as a mark of their death for the Faith that they got to wear a red sah round their waist as a mark of shedding their blood for the Faith. We were also told that if you died for the Faith you got made a saint right away, do not pass , 'Go', do no,t 'Go To Jail ', right straight up to heaven tehn and there..and that of course is the Perennial teaching of the Catholic Church on the subject right from the early Fathers. So as soon as I heard this I thought this was bargain basment stuff, get made a saint right away for a few mintues suffering!!..and I just loved the idea of being made special by wearing that red sash:):)

I have always all the years ever since early childhood to die for the Faith. I really do believe this is one of the Great Signs my wish will be granted. Indeed I have been shown that this is so and am really looking forward to that Blessed Day. To gain the martyr's Crown.

I can see now all the circumstances coming together for that to occur.

As was metioned all is vanity, all is passing , only heaven is Eternal.:)

Below is St Lucy's Day , Sweden, note the Red Sash and the lovely music.:)

(..they sing this to folks who are about to recieve the Nobel prize, the night before they get it.)

gracia, AED and Don_D like this.