Communion Rail

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Shae, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Shae

Shae Archangels

I just came across this pic of a beautiful communion rail. I seldom see them anymore. I was wondering how many of us on the forum still have a communion rail at their church? I so miss having one:(

2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

:(No Communion rail

Shae likes this.
  3. AED

AED Powers

Me
    Me too but no rail in any of our churches around here. In the chapel of the Cathedral there is one however.

Shae likes this.
  4. Dolours

Dolours Powers

None in our church. A few old churches in the city centre still have them although they are rarely used.

Shae likes this.
  5. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Saint Joseph has them but it is an FSSP parish. Honestly I am getting to the point where I don't like to go to Mass anywhere else although I do. At our local parish I kneel to receive Our Lord and it is painful on the best of days on a marble floor but I just don't care anymore.

Light, Sam, Frank Markus and 4 others like this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

What a sacrifice, Don! I can no longer do that, but good for you! They would need a crane to get me up off the floor, so not worth attracting attention. HA
    When I do go to a Mass with a rail (haven't in years) I stand, and then as the priest gets closer I kneel quickly on the padding and then get up. I am not the only one. I see a few others who need to do that. I actually stand in the confessional and lean over to the priest's ear. The priests do not mind. I do not go face to face. They understand folks with wonky knees.

AED, Shae, gracia and 2 others like this.
  7. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Yes, they are very understanding that way. My knees don't always cooperate and sometimes I am so sick and swollen up I can not manage it but if I am feeling well enough I do. Even if it is only one knee for care of falling over! lol. The confessional here is horrible though and I have been thinking about bringing my own pillow.

Frank Markus, AED, Shae and 1 other person like this.
  8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Whatever you have to do

Shae likes this.
  9. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

This is a picture of St Joseph's from 1935 and another from 2016. It has changed little. The white alter rail is barely visible. I think that the stations of the cross are the same ones, they are beautiful. I love this little parish. I often wonder how many have kissed the feet of Our Lord on His cross.

SaintJoseph1935.jpg

saintjoseph2016.jpg

ComeSoon!, Sam, Frank Markus and 5 others like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

really beautiful and holy

Frank Markus, AED, Shae and 1 other person like this.
  11. any name you wish

any name you wish Archangels

The Methodist church that I grew up attending had one and we would kneel to receive our wafer and grape juice.

There's one at the chapel of the Institute of Christ the King near where I live, but I don't think that any of the other churches in town have one.

AED, HeavenlyHosts, gracia and 2 others like this.
  12. Shae

Shae Archangels

DC8757F9-EFF7-4092-B3E2-721270A51182.jpeg St. Mary’s Basilica

ComeSoon!, Sam, Frank Markus and 3 others like this.
  13. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Shae, Sam, SgCatholic and 4 others like this.
  14. gracia

gracia Archangels

15. padraig

padraig New Member

In the Church I go to for mass, St Therese's Somerton Road there are no longer altalr rails but since we do the Traditional Mass we have portable wooden altar rails which are set up in a matter of minutes and are kept up in the stalls at the back of the Church. it is really surprising how quickly the altar and Church can be transformed to the way it used to be years ago and is wonderful to see. We ahve the most gorgoeus old golden Large Crucifix, for instance which is now in a side altar but is moved to the maina ltar for the mass. Also flowers are moved round the altar. Special altar clothes and hanging ect. It all only takes about 15 minutes to set up.

I must see if I can find pictures before and after.

This is it set up for the Tridentine Mass, with the little wooden altar rails.

(If you look to the left there is the most wonderful staute of the Blessed Virgin , which I am very fond of and dates, I supect to the 1920's)

[​IMG]

Shae, gracia, Sam and 4 others like this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

Now compare this to our main Parish Church , which I avoid like the plague and which looks, I think, like a bowling alley (Where would you even put altar rails?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

Shae and Don_D like this.
  18. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Ghastly, compare this to the Augustinian Church, 180 degrees difference

Dolours and Frank Markus like this.
  19. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes , what were they thinking when they built it?

However I notice modern Catholic Churches nowadays generally go back to the older desings, thank God. Not always, but often.

Shae and Frank Markus like this.
  20. AED

AED Powers

Yep. I have to be careful of the knees. I genuflect as best I can before I receive. And kneeling in a confessional is almost impossible.

Shae and HeavenlyHosts like this.