Close Down

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by padraig, Feb 14, 2017.

?

Close the forum for discussions of CHurch affairs until Easter?

1. Yes close discussuion

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No keep discussion open.

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. padraig

padraig New Member

I was thinking of closing down discussion of Church affairs until after Easter since things are getting rather heated and anyway there seems to be posts about little else. I am reluctant to do this, but it seems necessary.

Anyhow I am putting up a poll for you voute, so i| wil ldo as you indicate.

2. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

Maybe for Lent, rather than right away? That gives us two more weeks of banter :D

sparrow and Julia like this.
  3. FatimaPilgrim

FatimaPilgrim Powers

Yes very wise, let go and let God

[​IMG]

Evenstar, Jeanne, sparrow and 2 others like this.
  4. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

It's up to you Padraig but personally I think we all just need to learn to deal with it and deal with each other better. Maybe a kibosh on rude postings or something. It is very possible there are going to be some big events coming up in the Church and I think people on the net will be searching for answers. That is how I found this site.

If you are thinking of shutting it down because things are heated I think events are only going to get worse.

I think we need to learn to discuss things better.

Of course it is your call.

If you are going to do it I would wait until Lent proper.

sunburst, DivineMercy, BrianK and 7 others like this.
  5. Heidi

Heidi Archangels

I think we all need a place to be able to talk about these things. I have no one in real life I can talk to about any of this.

6. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Satan would be pleased to see the MOG forum close its defense of the one true faith down for weeks or really happy to see it gone for good. He hates the light of truth!

Pray4peace, sunburst, Heidi and 7 others like this.
  7. FatimaPilgrim

FatimaPilgrim Powers

I and many others have prayerfully discerned that the exact opposite is true in terms of shutting down until Easter the obvious cause of the problems. I think satan has been very pleased with the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that he has sown here that has lead to arguments, people fighting, faithful Catholics splitting into factions, prideful displays, and uncharitable comments. Those are all calling cards of old skinny legs, not of God

sparrow, Julia and Seagrace like this.
  8. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Our only 2 options aren't shutting down or continue fighting.
    I agree with you that much of the rancor is from below. No doubt.
    We need to learn to be more charitable.

Otherwise Padraig might as well just shut down the forum for good because I doubt there is a single person on here that thinks events in the future are going to be getting better anytime soon.

Let's face it the devil want this site gone #1. If he can't have that he wants us fighting.

I like your new avatar by the way FP :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    BrianK, sparrow, Julia and 2 others like this.
  9. FatimaPilgrim

FatimaPilgrim Powers

Yep, spot on. Which is why the wise move is to simply Trust God and remove the source of the conflict where satan has been having a field day on this forum until people can let go of the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that has caused them to lose their peace.

A wise man once told me never to argue with the devil, you'll always lose. Instead do what heaven constantly has called on us to do, pray. Pray the rosary, pray for each other, pray for the souls in purgatory, pray for our Pope, pray for our Cardinals, Bishops, and Priests, and put on the armor of God

If we trust God, then let's trust God :)

10. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

To be fair if we "take a break" the fighting will just resume as soon as Padraig lifts the ban on talking about Church news.

Which leaves us with the options of:
    1. Don't talk about anything controversial again or
    2. Learn to discuss things calmly.

I think shutting down the talk of Church related news is just avoiding the issue.
    The solution isn't avoidance. I think we should deal with the problem.

AED, Heidi, BrianK and 4 others like this.
  11. Booklady

Booklady Powers

Dear Padraig,

I too share Praetorian's point-of-view. We are living the times prophesized by many and particularly LEO XIII, where in his prayer to St. Michael he states clearly:

"These most crafty enemies have filled and inebriated with gall and bitterness the Church, the spouse of the immaculate Lamb, and have laid impious hands on her most sacred possessions. In the Holy Place itself, where has been set up the See of the most holy Peter and the Chair of Truth for the light of the world, they have raised the throne of their abominable impiety, with the iniquitous design that when the Pastor has been struck, the sheep may be scattered."

I believe now more than ever, as the scattering of the sheep begins, we need the spiritual strength of each other. Please consider remaining open. We need each other's prayers and strength. Many of us, like myself, have been poorly catechized and rely on our brothers and sisters here to help us understand what is taking place.

God bless you, our Church, and everyone here.

AED, josephite, sunburst and 6 others like this.
  12. Fatima

Fatima Powers

With all due respect my friend, the way I see it is, MOG offers us a testing platform for the all out battle when the schism is formal as the prophetic consensus attests to. All this back and forth allows us to sharpen our arguments, while learning how to do battle (with your pastor, family, friends, neighbors, parishioners etc.) and whoever does not stand with the unchanging truths of the faith. The information coming fourth now, in rapid succession, needs talked about, needs discerned and needs to be prayed about. IMHO, this is no time to retreat from the battle. It is a time of preparation for the heart of the battle, which is unfolding faster than anyone realizes. The MOG forum is the one and maybe only palce where opposing views can be shared, debated and learned from some of the better minds within the faith. Shutting it down is only going to appease those who cannot participate in the battle we are in without having a melt down. Sooner or later this site will be forced out of existence. Then what? Where you going then when the confusion dwarfs what we have now?

AED, sunburst, Heidi and 8 others like this.
  13. little me

little me Archangels

I guess I never understood this aspect of the forum. Why don't the people who want it shut down just stay off the forum until Easter??? It seems the mentality at play here is "if I don't want to talk about it ( it offends ME) then I don't want anyone to be able to talk about it".
    Maybe because I live in the U.S. and this crap is shoved down our throats daily I'm kinda fed up with it. If you don't like a discussion....wait for it.....DON'T PARTICIPATE.
    Is anyone going to pray MORE than they already are?!

Pray4peace, AED, Evenstar and 10 others like this.
  14. pilgrim

pilgrim Guest

I see the forum is dedicated to the Mother of God.

May she be our guiding light in all that is said and written.

Difficult, I know, but if we acknowledge her patronage then there’s a need to believe in her presence, and that we are all her children who she loves dearly, without favouritism.

There are great graces given by the Blessed Mother, even for the smallest sacrifice, to anyone prepared to share her Lenten journey.

It would be nice if forum members could walk hand in hand with each other and Our Lady for Lent, whether the shop is kept open or not.

How about closing on Sundays only? :)

AED, Booklady and Praetorian like this.
  15. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Padraig, I just thought of this but if you wanted to limit the discussion of these rancorous topics you could restrict it to just a thread or two and the rest would be off limits for Church issues.

That way people who wanted to discuss them could, but people who wanted to avoid them could as well.

Everybody wins.

Just a thought.

Booklady likes this.
  16. Dolours

Dolours Guest

Well said. There are very many news outlets where people like this lady give their opinions on Church matters https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m-the-catholic-church/?utm_term=.5f02401968fe
    And let's not kid ourselves that she isn't attempting to sway the opinions of Catholics whose usual source of news about the Church is the secular press. Neither should we kid ourselves that we won't hear the essence of her arguments cloaked in very pious language. We have had examples of it on this forum with statements about Communion for remarried divorcees that are very reminiscent of "if you don't believe in abortion, then don't have an abortion". Catholics need to be informed of all sides of this debate and they won't get both sides from the the secular press or supposedly Catholic news sources like the NCR or Catholic journalists like Austin Iveragh who have already nailed their colours to the mast.

Perhaps a reasonable solution for the forum would be a special section dedicated to Church matters. Not a single thread but a place where there can be more than one thread. I'll leave it to smarter people than me to suggest a title for such a section but it should be one where people who don't want to be involved won't stumble upon contentious threads accidentally.

Meanwhile, I recommend reading up on the Council of Trent which addressed some of the issues currently under discussion: http://history.hanover.edu/texts/trent.html For example, the Council defined contrition thus:

Contrition, which holds the first place amongst the aforesaid acts of the penitent, is a sorrow of mind, and a detestation for sin committed, with the purpose of not sinning for the future. This movement of contrition was at all times necessary for obtaining the pardon of sins; and, in one who has fallen after baptism, it then at length prepares for the remissions of sins, when it is united with confidence in the divine mercy, and with the desire of performing the other things which are required for rightly receiving this sacrament. Wherefore the holy Synod declares, that this contrition contains not only a cessation from sin, and the purpose and the beginning of a new life, but also a hatred of the old, agreeably to that saying; Cast away from you all your iniquities, wherein you have transgressed, and make to yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. And assuredly he who has considered those cries of the saints; To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee, I have laboured in my groaning, every night I will wash my bed, I will recount to thee all my years, in the bitterness of my soul, and others of this kind, will easily understand that they flowed from a certain vehement hatred of their past life, and from an exceeding detestation of sins. The Synod teaches moreover, that, although it sometimes happen that this contrition is perfect through charity, and reconciles man with God before this sacrament be actually received, the said reconciliation, nevertheless, is not to be ascribed to that contrition, independently of the desire of the sacrament which is included therein. And as to that imperfect contrition, which is called attrition, because that it is commonly conceived either from the consideration of the turpitude of sin, or from the fear of hell and of punishment, It declares that if, with the hope of pardon, it exclude the wish to sin, it not only does not make a man a hypocrite, and a greater sinner, but that it is even a gift of God, and an impulse of the Holy Ghost, --who does not indeed as yet dwell in the penitent, but only moves him, --whereby the penitent being assisted prepares a way for himself unto justice. And although this (attrition) cannot of itself, without the sacrament of penance, conduct the sinner to justification, yet does it dispose him to obtain the grace of God in the sacrament of Penance. For, smitten profitably with this fear, the Ninivites, at the preaching of Jonas, did fearful penance and obtained mercy from the Lord. Wherefore falsely do some calumniate Catholic writers, as if they had maintained that the sacrament of Penance confers grace without any good motion on the part of those who receive it: a thing which the Church of God never taught, or thought: and falsely also do they assert that contrition is extorted and forced, not free and voluntary.

AED, Denise P, Beth B and 4 others like this.
  17. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

The problem with closing the discussion would be, if a biggie announcement came out from the Church, and we did not understand what it was about. How could we trust what is in the media these days.

Hard as it is to follow some of the topics, at least we get an honest view from different perspectives here on MOG.

AED, Mary's child, Denise P and 6 others like this.
  18. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

I think this is a superb idea Dolours. I know nothing about websites so I don't know how feasible it is to do something like this, but as we head into the storm I think we need some place to congregate and talk about these things. I fully understand those who don't like the angst of the conversation but I also know there are many others who feel the need to discuss what is going on in the Church.

We are about to enter the final confrontation of good vs. evil. I don't want to be shut off from it. This is 2017!

As Heidi mentioned in her post above, I also have no one in real life to discuss these things with so this website is a real life line in an increasingly hostile world.

19. sparrow

sparrow Exitus ~ Reditus

I agree with keeping the discussions about this AL fiasco open in one thread. BUT, it should be tempered with charity. Anyone who does not take caution when replying and is uncharitable should have a (2 day?) ban and if it happens again, 4 days, etc. It is not hard to be charitable. Think about what you are posting before you hit Post Reply. We all need to be on the same team and show others Christ in us. If Jesus would not take that tone, then neither should we. WWJD? ;)

AED, Mary's child, Booklady and 3 others like this.
  20. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Archangels

Ditto

Praetorian likes this.