Christmas Mass

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Dolours, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Mario

Mario Powers

Welcome, Purpleflower! I have family in Irving and Houston! Go Texas!:ROFLMAO:

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

2. Shae

Shae Archangels

Yes Dolours, I’m grateful for this blessing.

3. Shae

Shae Archangels

I went to spend an hour in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament as we are allowed up to 10 people for private prayer. But once Mass starts, we have to leave since we aren’t permitted to attend the Mass. The sadness of having to get up and leave hit me so hard when I got in my car to drive home, I had to fight back the tears. I’m not a crier, so it took me off guard. I just can’t believe what’s happening.:(

Sunnyveil, AED, Sam and 3 others like this.
  4. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

:mad::cry:

5. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Archangels

How awful. I'm so very sorry.

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  6. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Archangels

Thank you! I'm about 10 minutes away from Irving. I've never been more grateful to live in Texas!

Mary's child, HeavenlyHosts and Sam like this.
  7. Fede

Fede Archangels

There are 2 priests at our Church but I think they bring in others for mire Masses.
    Today our premiere announced province wide lockdown and we all thought it would be immediate. But it starts December 26th at 1.am. that was a huge surprise to everyone! This means we can attend Mass in my area, but those who were already in lockdown in Toronto and surrounding area will be unable to.
    I went to drop off a donation this morning for a family in need and was able to have some prayer time alone with Jesus. What a blessing!. I cried and prayed for all those who will not be able to go to Mass and asked Him to go to all those who would want to go to Mass but cannot because the church doors are locked. I felt so sad that He would be alone on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Tears streamed down my face as I prayed. Its such a sad time. I feel so conflicted..we were going to have our kids over Christmas Eve but the premier asked that we not do this as hospitals are overwhelmed and there are possibilities that if someone has a heart attack or needs ICU beds they won't be available. This is what prompted our decision to cancel....the guilt that someone may need a bed and we could contribute to the problem .. and now I feel guilty regardless ...letting my kids down. Its so hard to figure out what's right and what's wrong. But we did offer to cook and they could pick up Christmas Eve dinner..

Dolours and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. Fede

Fede Archangels

I'm so sorry..

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  9. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

Shae, my heart aches for you and all who aren't allowed for Mass. Yesterday I was finally able to go to confession after so many months of not being able to. I literally wept while talking to my parish priest.
    This has been an incredibly long year of suffering. I hope for the Grace of our dear Mother, the fortitude of the saints and the comfort of our Lord. I fear that this is the beginning and we need the fortitude to hold on.
    May the blessings of this Christmas season find all here comforted in the light of Christ. My prayers are with all of you.

Dolours and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Thank God! Thank you for your holy attitude and beautiful post.

Mary's child likes this.
  11. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Fede, I am so sorry for the crosses you are carrying. God bless you richly for thinking of others when you are hurting. Yes, you thought of the Lord’s suffering as well. I will be praying for you, Shae and others going through being deprived of Mass and family consolations.
    Be of good courage. God has got this.

Dolours, Fede and Mary's child like this.
  12. Dolours

Dolours Powers

That's impressive. Masks are requested in our parish church but I doubt very much that anyone would be turned away for failing to wear one. We have the same distance rule and the church is like a crime scene with yellow tape and stickers. I rarely go to Mass in our parish. They can be a bit OTT there. At one stage the arrangement for Communion was that the EMHC's stood at a table containing trays of sacred hosts and said "The Body of Christ" as communicants took a host from the tray. I went to Mass there one day last week. No more trays but the EMHC's were wearing plastic gloves. I don't know who the gloves are protecting. I know a couple of people who wore plastic gloves to hospital outpatients and were told to remove them. I'm not sure why but I think it had something to do with plastic gloves acting like a magnet for germs. Whatever the reason, the hospital staff made it clear that the plastic gloves were a no-no.

13. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I had a similar although not quite the same experience during the lockdown. I went to one of the big centre city churches to have some Masses offered. It's one of the biggest churches in the city. The church doors were closed but there was a side entrance to the sacristy and shop. As I stood waiting my turn to be served in that very small space, I heard Mass being broadcast through a loudspeaker. The shop was about the size of a couple of pews in the church yet we were excluded from the church because Mass was being offered. That was one of the weirdest experiences I have had during this pandemic. It just felt all wrong.

Mary's child likes this.
  14. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Thank God for small mercies. At least you can go to Mass for Christmas. Many people think that we will be back to lock down a few days after Christmas so I'm making the most of this small window of freedom. The Dominicans have really come up trumps here. They never stopped hearing Confession during the lockdown. Confession is available daily before and, I think, after morning Mass, on Friday evenings and practically all day on Saturdays. A couple of Sundays ago, the priest gave a homily on the importance of Confession. I've noticed an increase in the numbers going to Confession there. And last Sunday, I nearly fell out of my standing when I saw that they had installed altar rails. I can finally kneel to receive Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. I'm hoping the rails are there to stay but I suppose that will depend on how people react.

It must have been heartbreaking having to tell your children to stay away at Christmas. It is, indeed, a very sad time. And many people are feeling conflicted. People are scared. I see it in my own family. There seems to be a lot of guilt tripping by the authorities. Sadly the people (like you) who respond to the warnings are probably not the ones who are most likely feeding the spread of the virus.

But there are little chinks of light in the darkness like those altar rails in the church. God is good.

maryrose, Mary's child and Fede like this.
  15. Jo M

Jo M Powers

Same here. :( I feel a little lost.

AED and Mary's child like this.
  16. Dolours

Dolours Powers

That's so sad. I remember last Easter wondering whether we would be singing Silent Night to the TV screen at Christmas. Back then, the goal was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm the hospitals during 'flu season. Well, here we are in another 'flu season, the 'flu is never mentioned and flattening the curve is like a game of whack-a-mole. If they do succeed in flattening it, they should turn their attention to controlling the tide in the sea.

17. maryrose

maryrose Powers

We also have extra Masses in our rural parish. My daughter and her family are planning to attend 10.30am on Christmas eve. My husband has been requested to act as usher at the traditional Christmas eve Mass. We don't have a ticket system so it could involve turning people away. I myself plan to attend 9.30am on Christmas day.
    It looks like we will be shut down again right after Christmas. I think make the most of this current window of opportunity as we could be facing another 6 or 7 weeks of no Mass. I got confession today from my elderly retired parish priest. He is still beavering away and told me to ring him to arrange a time for the grandkids to go to confession. We are so blessed to have him.

Dolours, Te Deum, AED and 2 others like this.
  18. AED

AED Powers

Oh Shae I know. I know exactly! We are blessed here to have a chapel devoted to adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. I have two scheduled hours a week. No great crowds. A few-'like me. And the Sisters of course. This blessing in our midst and yet we barely avail ourselves. ?(I include myself in this because when I am in town on errands I seldom drop in. I've taken to begging my guardian angel to push me through the door--i think there is great spiritual static around a of us these days)

19. Adoremus

Adoremus Powers

Just announced for Ireland, no more public Mass after 26 Dec.

A local priest told my sister a few weeks ago that if they tried to ban mass again, our Bishop was prepared to disobey. Let's pray that he doesn't lose his nerve.

20. Fede

Fede Archangels

Oh that's so great of him! So wonderful to see true disciples of Jesus. Will pray.

Te Deum and HeavenlyHosts like this.