Christmas Mass

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Dolours, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Have you all made arrangements for getting to Mass at Christmas? Our parish had a raffle but my name didn't come out of the hat. I've been checking the websites of the big churches in the city centre. Most have a booking system for Christmas Eve Masses but don't seem to have any restrictions for Christmas Day other than a 50 person limit. I'm surprised that they can only have 50 people in those huge churches. Our parish church is smaller and can have about ten more people at Mass.

Julia and AED like this.
  2. AidanK

AidanK A great sinner

Our SSPX chapel is holdind all services as normal and our congregations growing as a result

3. AED

AED Powers

I have no idea what I am going to do. Perhaps attend Christmas Eve Mass (not a vigil) at the Eucharistic chapel and pray through Christmas Mass with EWTN. :(

Julia, Jo M, Dolours and 2 others like this.
  4. Fede

Fede Archangels

We registered for Christmas day as soon as they made that available. Our priest scheduled 9 Masses between Christmas Eve and Christmas day to try to allow as many as possible to go due ti restricted numbers .and by registration only..they were all booked within days over a week ago. however, our premiere may be locking down the province on Monday in Ontario ..I hope not..

Julia, Jo M, Dolours and 3 others like this.
  5. AED

AED Powers

You have a wonderful priest.

Julia, Jo M, Dolours and 2 others like this.
  6. Mary's child

Mary's child Powers

We had to reserve a seat, going to the midnight Mass. Fede I am praying that Canada doesn't lock down.

Jo M, AED, Dolours and 1 other person like this.
  7. Shae

Shae Archangels

Our Churches are still closed here:( But my Pastor is offering a Holy Communion drive-through on Christmas morning, so I will do that.

Julia, Jo M, AED and 5 others like this.
  8. Denise P

Denise P Archangels

We will have 5 masses on Christmas Eve starting at 2:00 pm. On Christmas Day we will only have 3. No reservations— first come basis. We cannot sing.

Julia, AED, Dolours and 1 other person like this.
  9. Katfalls

Katfalls Powers

I will be sitting in the parking lot streaming Mass on my tablet. Then go to the door for communion. I saw my neurologist yesterday, got the results back from my brain MRI, the tumor has not grown and is not pushing on anything. The headaches are being managed. But she yelled at me and told me not to socialize at all . . . Since I am over 70 and have several health issues. So feeling blessed that I can have any kind of church. It's not bad, I am on the outside of the wall looking in through my tablet.

Julia, maryrose, Jo M and 11 others like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

God bless you, Katfalls. So glad that your tumor is under control. Thank God.

Jo M, Sam, Sunnyveil and 5 others like this.
  11. Shae

Shae Archangels

Very encouraging news Katfalls! I am about to pray my Rosary and will pray for your intentions.

Julia, Jo M, Sam and 4 others like this.
  12. Dolours

Dolours Powers

There's no way our parish could accommodate everyone who applied for tickets while keeping within the rules. There's some arrangement for giving Communion outside of Mass time on Christmas. The lottery was the fairest system. I'm not too bothered that I didn't get a ticket. Some of my family told me I had better apply because we didn't know then what would happen in the city churches. Turns out none of us got a ticket for Christmas Mass. My favourite church in the city isn't using a booking system so I'll arrive early enough to be sure of a place on Christmas Eve and I don't expect to have any problem on Christmas morning.

Julia, Jo M, Sam and 3 others like this.
  13. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Nine Masses is impressive. Are there many priests in your parish? We only have two. Christmas lockdowns could make politicians very unpopular. With any luck, that will make your premiere think twice before ruining everyone's Christmas.

I heard that there were thousands of applications for tickets in our parish. The rule here is that there must be an gap of at least an hour between Masses. Trying to accommodate everyone would have been too much for our elderly priests. There are plenty of options in the city centre on Christmas morning for anyone who didn't get a ticket for the parish Mass.

Julia, Jo M, Shae and 2 others like this.
  14. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Wow! 5 on Christmas Eve is a lot. Usually Vigil Masses begin after 4 pm but everything is out of kilter this Christmas.

That no singing rule sounds as crazy as our rule about an hour's gap between Masses.

Julia, Jo M, Shae and 2 others like this.
  15. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Good news on the health front. Thanks be to God. When we were kids churches were often so full for Sunday Mass that some people would have to stand outside. We were told that as long as we were there we were part of the congregation even if we couldn't get through the door. That's not a whole lot different than your having to sit in the car park. At least you will be able to see the Mass on your tablet. Any time we had to stand outside, we saw nothing and relied on the bell to know when to kneel for the Consecration.

Jo M, Katfalls, Sam and 5 others like this.
  16. Dolours

Dolours Powers

That's sad. At least you can receive Holy Communion.

Julia, Jo M, Shae and 3 others like this.
  17. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Try not to let it ruin your Christmas. Christmas Eve morning is better than no Mass at all.

Julia, Jo M, Shae and 3 others like this.
  18. AED

AED Powers

This is good news about the tumor. May God shrink it in Jesus's Name. I can't help but think how consoled Our Lord is that you are making such an effort to be near Him on this beautiful powerful feast of His birthday. So many won't care one way or the other sadly. I know Jesus and Mary don't take your sacrifice lightly.

Julia, Jo M, Dolours and 5 others like this.
  19. Mario

Mario Powers

I will join AED in her intention for you, Katfalls!:):notworthy:

Come Lord Jesus!

Jo M, Dolours, Katfalls and 5 others like this.
  20. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Archangels

At my church here in Texas, we will have Christmas Eve Masses at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and midnight, and on Christmas day at 8am, 10, and noon, to accommodate everyone. We have to wear masks and be 6 feet apart from other families.

Julia, AED, Jo M and 5 others like this.