Catholics and alcohol

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by torrentum, Mar 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM.

1. torrentum

torrentum Archangels

Do you drink alcohol?
    If so how often?
    I’ve heard it said a thousand times, that Catholics can enjoy alcohol, to a certain point.
    Being drunk is a mortal sin, and rightly so, there’s nothing as pitiful as someone who is drunk.
    But, what I find incredibly difficult to nail down is, what exactly is ‘drunkenness’?
    Some say “one unit and no more”.
    One of the saints said “drink to the point of hilarity”.
    Others say, “treat it like a lion - don’t turn your back on it”
    Whenever I drink, it’s usually 2 to 3 pint of beer, and that’s enough without any negative “hangover” effects. Mind you, I’d need the 2-3 drinks over a few hours of time.
    But what is drunkenness? Some define it so differently. Some have a high tolerance. Some low. Some like beer, with a low alcohol content, some spirits with a high alcohol content.
    The Jews must drink a number (a surprisingly high number) of glasses of wine on the feast of the Passover. I was very surprised to learn this.
    Personally, I rarely drink, and have always been watchful of alcohol.
    Is there anyone who can advise when enough is enough?
    The reason I ask is actually not for me: a good catholic man I admire was chatting to me on the phone today (lockdown) and wondered this exact scenario to me. He laughs and jokes about having a few bottles for the weekend, and wondered when enough is enough. I couldn’t offer any advise, but would appreciate the advise of any Catholic who knows how to enjoy alcohol, while staying in a state of grace.

So, when is enough, enough?

Mario likes this.
  2. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Archangels

I was raised in a Puritan-style Protestant denomination after age 5. No alcohol allowed!! Not for any reason. Even alcohol-flavored sweets or flavorings (imitation rum) or candy "liqueurs" were forbidden.

My parents adamantly refused to eat in restaurants which sold only beer (never mind a fully stocked bar).

So I still have an underlying (negative) reaction, despite all those years ago. It was so deeply and thoroughly impressed on me.

That aside, as a rational adult, once in a long while I'll have a Strawberry Daiquiri or a Margarita.

I think alcohol is something best avoided except as an occasional treat or for special occasions, and then in moderation.

And I've once seen moderation go into full-blown alcoholism, which reinforces my reserve.

A big sweet tooth is enough to deal with anyway. :D

Beth B, Sam and torrentum like this.
  3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

A big sweet tooth is enough for me to handle as well:eek:

DesertStar7 and torrentum like this.
  4. torrentum

torrentum Archangels

LOL you opinion is not far off from my opinion

DesertStar7 likes this.
  5. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Alcohol taxes the system in the way it is metabolized, anyway.

6. Malachi

Malachi Archangels

I'm sitting now with a nice whiskey and enjoying it very much. Was supposed to be hitting Islay tomorrow and up through the highlands on a whiskey trip tomorrow for the weekend ffinishing in Edinburgh. Best not to ask me how long a piece of string is. But at a push I'd say it depends on the individual and circumstances all else is puritanical nonsense. Losing the use of reason and the ability to make choices is patently sinful as we are not mere animals

7. theflyingnun

theflyingnun New Member

8. padraig

padraig New Member

I went to confession one time with a holy , wise old priest many years ago and told him I had been drunk.

'What do you mean you were drunk? he said.

Well I told him a had had a few beers with firends in a pub.

'Do you remember everything that happened?' he asked.

'I do ', I said.

'Then you weren't drunk', he said.

'When you drink do you ever forget what happened?' he went on to ask.

'I always recall what happened', I said, 'Sometimes I wish I didn't but I always remember'.

'Then you've never been drunk ', he said.

I've always takent his as a good rule of thumb.

torrentum likes this.
  9. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Archangels

My view is why does one even need to drink alcohol...I have seen it destroy many families and marriages. I feel if some has a need to drink, there lies an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin.
    Sorry its very plain and simple for me.

border collie, Sam and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  10. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Me as well

11. padraig

padraig New Member

Malachi and Byron like this.
  12. Byron

Byron Powers

I personally enjoy a Prosecco sometimes on the weekend. But I seldom drink. The wine with dinner ended long ago, Migraines.

AED likes this.
  13. Mario

Mario Powers

For me, drinking was a problem. In my junior year at college I came very close to killing myself when in a drunken stupor. Since Jesus won me to Himself in 1977, I've never been drunk. I still drink socially on occasion, but probably only a handful of times each year, and then virtually always limit myself to 2 drinks in an evening. One long night I think I had 3 drinks. I will not allow myself to be put in situations where the brew is flowing freely.

For those who avoid the stuff entirely, I respect that. But Jesus' attitude at the wedding feast of Cana shows that celebration is not a bad thing and such can include alcohol. Now I have a close relative who is alcoholic and certainly understand the need of restraint around him.

Safe in the Father's Arms!

DesertStar7, Beth B, AED and 2 others like this.
  14. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Love a good class of red wine or 2 or 3.

I love the wedding feast of Cana -- and it wasn't ribena that was flowing but the best wine!

Beth B and AED like this.
  15. AED

AED Powers

Me too Byron. Back in the day I did indulge in wine --as I look back I think it was too much. But I seldom have a glass now--for years. With age comes wisdom.