Cardinal Burke on the State of the Church

Discussion in 'Video Blogs' started by padraig, Aug 13, 2019.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

A really great interview by Patrick Madrid with the wonderful Cardinal Burke.

I have to say Cardinal Burke is astonishingly frank here. One thing he says is that the Church is going through a, 'Great Purification'.

But this very,very saintly and wise old gentleman gives huge grounds for hope. However he certainly doesn't mince his words; which delights me.

He certainly calls a spade a spade and a heresy a heresy.:):) Bless him A Great Man.

Carol55, AED, Heidi and 2 others like this.
  2. padraig

padraig Powers

You know when a Cardinal like Burke speaks so openly and frankly like this it is a huge wake up call that things are very,very,very bad indeed in the Church.

Really, really , bad indeed. Rock bottom in fact. Rock bottom.

AED and Mary's child like this.
  3. Fatima

Fatima Powers

I would ride on the back of Cardinal Burke any day. He is a true disciple of the Lord in our times.

4. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I haven’t listened yet, but a friend just posted this statement regarding this video:
    36C3DB77-97CA-4C91-B7C3-7B6142C05B08.jpeg

5. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Tue Aug 13, 2019 - 7:37 pm EST
    Cardinal Burke: Amazon synod working doc is ‘apostasy’, cannot become Church teaching

August 13, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Cardinal Raymond Burke said that the working document used for the upcoming Pan-Amazon synod organized by the Vatican at the request of Pope Francis amounts to “apostasy.”

The Cardinal made this comment when asked in an August 13 Youtube interview whether the working document known as the Instrumentum Laboris for the October 6-27 Synod may become definitive for the Catholic Church. Cardinal Burke replied: “It cannot be. The document is an apostasy. This cannot become the teaching of the Church, and God willing, the whole business will be stopped.”

Burke made this comment in a wide-ranging interview with Catholic show host Patrick Coffin. The main organizers of the Amazon Synod have been criticized for using the event to push for female deacons and married priests.

The Cardinal, in a discussion with Coffin over politicians and others who publicly depart from basic beliefs espoused by the Church, defined both heresy and apostasy.

“Heresy is the denial, the knowing and willing denial of a truth of the faith. For instance, the priest Arius who denied the two natures and one person of our Lord Jesus Christ. So, heresy is pointed towards a particular truth that someone denies, whereas apostasy is a general defection from the faith, a going away from Christ in a general way, and the many truths of the faith,” he stated.

Burke, in a different interview, commented on remarks that synod organizers made suggesting a relaxation of celibacy in the priesthood for the Amazon region, saying that it would affect the entire worldwide Church. “It is not honest” to suggest that the October meeting is “treating the question of clerical celibacy for that region alone,” he said in June.

Learn more about Cardinal Burke’s views and past actions by visiting FaithfulShepherds.com. Click here.

Pope Francis announced last year that the October Synod of Bishops of the Pan-Amazon region would meet in Rome with the purpose of identifying “new paths for the evangelization of God's people in that region, "especially indigenous peoples who are "often forgotten and without the prospect of a serene future."

Cardinals Walter Brandmuller and Gerhard Muller have also condemned the Amazon Synod working document. Cardinal Walter Brandmüller also critiqued the working document, calling it “heretical” and an “apostasy” from Divine Revelation. He called on the hierarchy to “reject” it with “all decisiveness.”

Cardinal Gerhard Mueller has denounced what he calls the document’s ambiguous terminology and “false teaching.” He also questioned what he termed the document’s “upside-down hermeneutics.” Asking rhetorically whether the Church is putty in the hands of bishops and popes to “rebuild” the Church as an instrument “with secular goals,” Mueller said that the text “presents a radical U-turn from the hermeneutics of Catholic theology.” Rather than underscoring the teachings of the Church or quoting Holy Scripture, Muller wrote that the Instrumentum Laboris instead revolves “around the latest documents of Pope Francis' Magisterium, furnished with a few references to John Paul II and Benedict XVI.

Leonardo Boff, a Brazilian theologian and laicized priest who is widely credited for being the “theologian of reference” for the synod and an important exponent of Liberation theology, declared that he sees Pope Francis’ election as a “springtime” for the Catholic Church. In his book Francis of Rome and Francis of Assisi, Boff asserted his belief that Pope Francis embodies Liberation theology because of his alleged dedication to the poor. He has stated that the ordination of married men may be an outcome of the synod. In an interview with Deutsche Welt, Boff credited the pontiff with starting a “revolution” in the Church. Liberation theology was specifically condemned by St. Pope John Paul II in 1985 for seeking to reconcile Marxist precepts with Catholic teachings for the supposed purpose of aiding the poor, especially in Latin America.

Cardinal Burke said in his interview with Coffin that secular media and some Catholic media are “glorying” in calling Pope Francis a “revolutionary.” Saying that the office of the papacy is not revolutionary, he said that its primary function is to “safeguard the doctrine of the Faith and the Church’s discipline in order to be the principle and foundation of unity in the Church.”

Burke added: “If you tell me that the Pope is a revolutionary, I would be very concerned because that has nothing to do with the papacy.”

padraig, gracia and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  6. padraig

padraig Powers

One thing I love about the Bishops and Cardinals who speak out is their kindness, gentleness, patience and forbearance. They never rant or take insults aimed at them personally. They teach by what they are even more than by what they say.

Their role as Shepherds is to Teach, instruct, warn, confirm and guide. In other words they are doing what God calls them to do and doing it well, bless them.

For we lay people things are a little different. We are not called to be Shepherds, so it leaves me a little lost as to what to do sometimes. To pray , certainly. But apart from that? It seems to be a big part is just being patient and waiting for God to act. Like Our Lady for instance. By appearing to do nothing she did everything. So by loving she was at the center of everything.

Waiting, hoping, praying.

Waiting hoping, praying.

Waiting for the Lord to act. To save us.

Joan J, gracia, Carol55 and 2 others like this.
  7. padraig

padraig Powers

It is written though that lay people will save the Church in our days.

I admit though I am a little bit puzzled at the moment looking round me how exactly this might come about.

Oh well. Waiting , praying, trusting God, if these are all I have these are all I will give.

Waiting and praying with Mary for a Second Pentecost.

[​IMG]

Joan J, Carol55 and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  8. padraig

padraig Powers

I enjoy listening to Michael Voris more and more lately.

I am inclined more and more to the belief that he has been called by God to his fiery ministry. He reminds me of the Old Testament Prophets; a voice crying in the wilderness, make straight the way of the Lord.

Plus he is fun to listen too. He must drive some bad Bishops to apoplexy.

SgCatholic and Fatima like this.
  9. Lumena

Lumena Archangels

Padraig, I was in attendance when he spoke in New Zealand some years ago and I felt as though I was in the presence of a SUPER APOSTLE, someone whom God has given to us in our day to be a Saint Paul for our times. He is so completely fearless! At the time, he was criticised by some in our Diocese as being too negative - but surely he is being vindicated daily, now. As is Vigano. Without these two and others, we would not have the revelations or understanding of what is happening. Surely we are incredibly blessed to have the truth, and the exposures, as painful as it is. And the fact that Mr Voris led a sinful life (of homosexuality) before, gives him an inside, in-depth knowlege of the battlefield - because hes a defector from that lifestyle and mindset, and he knows the enemy much better than he would have , had he not been in that dark place.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Carol55, SgCatholic, padraig and 3 others like this.
  10. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

Padraig, Thank you for posting this it is a great interview of Cardinal Burke. (Thank you Cardinal Burke and Patrick Coffin for all that you do. :love:)

Our faithful shepherds are up against a lot lately like this story dated August 15, 2019 -

WATCH: ‘Progressive’ pro-gay Catholics shout down faithful African priest during Mass
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/w...hout-down-faithful-african-priest-during-mass . :eek:

Edited to add:

I'm not sure if the following has been posted on the forum yet.
    (I just read about a very rare lightning strike that recently occurred at the North Pole and the following photo reminded me of this story https://watchers.news/2019/08/15/lightning-strikes-north-pole-august-2019/ ).

upload_2019-8-18_19-31-5.png
    Tackle the Amazon Synod with LifeSite and other leading orthodox Catholic voices

Dorothy Cummings McLean | https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/j...thodox-catholic-voices-to-tackle-amazon-synod
    amazon synod, catholic, church militant, lifesitenews, michael matt, michael voris, raymond burke, the remnant, voice of the family, walter brandmuller

August 16, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) — Experts on the crisis facing the Catholic Church today, including Dr. Taylor Marshall, Michael Matt, Professor Roberto de Mattei, Michael Voris, and John-Henry Westen are joining forces for an online roundtable discussion.

For the first time ever, these defenders of Catholic orthodoxy will be appearing together to face down the latest doctrinal crisis in the Church: the Synod on the Amazon.

On October 4, the eve of the synod, Voice of the Family will sponsor an online roundtable discussion among these and other renowned pro-life, pro-family, pro-Catholic journalists, and everyone is invited.

Our Church — reformed or deformed?” will be livestreamed from the Hotel Massimo D’Azeglio, Rome, so that you and other Christians around the world can participate.

For just $10, early birds will receive an all-access livestream pass to the conversation. But don’t delay, for on September 1, the price goes up to $25. Register now.

The Pan-Amazonian Synod will take place between October 6 and 27. It concerns every Catholic who values the integrity of the Faith. At stake are the gifts of celibacy, the nature of the priesthood, and the concept of evangelization itself. It’s all there in the synod’s working document, a plan of action called “an apostasy” by Cardinal Raymond Burke.

Burke’s fellow “dubia cardinal,” Cardinal Walter Brandmüller, has also condemned this Instrumentum laboris. So has Cardinal Gerhard Müller, a former prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Meanwhile, the synod’s “theologian of reference” is the liberation theologian — and laicized priest — Leonardo Boff, who helped write the pontifical encyclical Laudato Si’.

“Pope Francis is one of us,” Boff told a German newspaper in 2016.

In the same interview, Boff revealed both that he still celebrates Mass and that he believes that Jesus Christ is only one of a number of religious figures in whom the divine “appears.” Even his interviewer observed that this did not seem very Catholic.

This year, Bishop Franz-Josef Overbeck, the German bishops’ pointman for Latin America, stated that the Synod on the Amazon will lead to a “rupture” in the Church and that “nothing will be as it was before.”

Don’t believe him? Just this past week, America’s bishops admitted that only a third of Catholics in the USA believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist. Who could have imagined such a calamity in 1959, when Pope John XXIII first announced the Second Vatican Council?

But all is not lost, for those who know their history are not destined to repeat it.

“Pope Francis’s advisers for the Synod on the Amazon met secretly near Rome at the end of June in order to lay out their strategy, in a manner analogous to what the progressive theologians of Central Europe did on the eve of the Second Vatican Council,” roundtable participant Robert de Mattei wrote last month.

“But the conservative group which opposed itself to them then was disorganized and unaware, with a few exceptions, of the maneuvers which were in progress[.] ... Today, the group which unites those Catholics faithful to the perennial Magisterium of the Church is organized and combative.”

The October 4 roundtable discussion will definitely be part of that organized combat as key figures from LifeSiteNews;The Remnant Newspaper; Church Militant; Tradition, Family, and Property; and La Nuova Bussola Quotidiana, as well as independent Catholic journalists from Italy and the USA, meet in Rome.

The conversation will be held in English, with simultaneous translation into Italian. It will begin at 9 A.M. and end at 12 P.M. Eastern Time (3 P.M. to 6 P.M. in Rome).

Remember, early-bird price is $10 until September 1. Please register today!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    SgCatholic and padraig like this.
  11. Irishguy

Irishguy Guest

Where does it say that lay people will save the church???

There is a huge chasm between the top tier of the church and the bottom of the church -

Thats is the pope along with cardinals/curia bishops v the lay people.

Top tier of the RCC don't care about us as in return we don't care about them. All that matters us and god.

There are some people out there like some priests and lay people so blindly loyal to the pope. If pope tells people to sin as some people would obey simple as that. They dont know how to differentiate between loaylty to pope or loyal to god 's laws. Its God law that takes precedence over everything.even the pope.

I reckon there about 200 cardinals or more but the majority of these cardinals haven't spoken up to PF's plans and ways etc except for 4 dubia cardinals. That's a huge concern cos when PF sees this just 5 as he would say PFFFTTT.

I have zero interest in PF or the church just relationship with god as that's it. Its god call now not mine or others.

There are others doing a fight back like M Voris as he is a pain in the neck to the top tier of the RCC. RCC is all about money, power and and corruption, gay lifestyle and bling as we do nothing at all. Several popes knew of Fr Marciel as it was known way back re Fr Marciel's activities in 1943 just like Fr Smyth in 1965 as popes kept quiet cos they needed Fr Marciel's & other religious orders monies just like they needed Cardinal law's monies.So at the end of that day, they couldn't or won't fire Cardinal law or Fr Marciel.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
  12. gracia

gracia Archangels

I have seen a lot of people burn out by following what Pope Francis is doing. They burn out, and they leave.

Maybe, don't worry so much. Follow Christ as a faithful Catholic Christian. Don't worry *too much* about what is going on at the top.

Follow Christ, look to Our Lady, be faithful, hang on.

13. padraig

padraig Powers

Yes we are blessed, especially as far as Cardinal Burke is concerned.

Although I did read a detailed anaylsis of Archbishop's recent statements in the Catholic Herald and there are some points that are a cause of concern. We are all of us sinners and at even our finest moments we can be a little, well tainted. Our Motivations can fall a little short.

Caridnal Burke I would consider to be something of a saint; I believe his mitves are very pure. But Archbishop Vigano, well, I would be a little careful in osme of the things he is starting to put out there. I know if he makes any further statements I will be taking time to study them a ltitle more closely.

14. padraig

padraig Powers

The poor priest! Sometimes I admit I have been tempted to shout out in Church at some of the terrible things I hear. But I never have. I am not sure if at mass would be the right time to do so.

We live in truly terrible times. Terrible.

I am really, really looking forward to that round table discussion. Some great brains there, some very holy people. I hope they come up with some good ideas. I admit I have none myself, beyond prayer that is. Perhaps they wil lhave some good ideas.

perhaps. I do so hope so.

AED and Carol55 like this.
  15. padraig

padraig Powers

'Top tier of the RCC don't care about us as in return we don't care about them'

There are saints and there are evil people everywhere in every walk of life; inlcuding Caridnals and Bishops.

AED likes this.
  16. Irishguy

Irishguy Guest

Saw Cardinal Burke in Mass last year which i went in for a brief prayer then i realised it was a full latin mass with Cardinal Burke presiding. His dress was like a prissy drag queen which pissed me off. Guess what some priests call him 'mother Burke' as i was dumbfounded. His long overflowing dress ( “look-at-me” ecclesiastical frock that screams swishy opulence ). One thing that came up to my mind was effeminate cos of the dress.

Was freaked out by this cos i never seen it before only on tv. Then i avoided Cardinal Burke since then as he comes to Ireland every year for full Latin mass as i believe that he has some Irish roots by the look of his face when i saw him in the flesh plus his surname as well.

Vigano is more of a courage and bravery to spill the beans as he was doing it for the sake of the church and to expose the rotten corpse that is inside of the RCC-Vatican and the top tier. Vigano bit honorable in my view.

Heard more of the story re deaf school in Argentina where PF was then a bishop as he didn't do anything proactively to protect the abused as he knew it. That's probably why PF hadn't visited his home country for fear of an expose.Instead he sent the abuser from Italy to Argentina cos kind of a dumping ground into a working class or places with disabilities was a common method cos they dont have the language nor raise a protest nor ability to prevent it in the first place. That was the case with Ballymun re singing priest Fr Walsh now in prison.

They wouldn't dump abuser priests into rich or affluent areas for fear that they would be found out cos these areas have the ability and language to protest or force the abuser priest out whereas working class people wouldn't have a clue nor being more informed re a priest in question.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
  17. Irishguy

Irishguy Guest

Its now high time for Jesus to clear out the temple (Church) just like when he was angry when he overturned the tables and drove out everything.Its a question of when and filth/evil are building and building up bit by bit before it goes into a full blast.

PF is the first step into a long series of unraveling events something like false prophet. This was/is worse than Luther reformation as its a spiritual crisis more pronounced than before..

gracia likes this.
  18. padraig

padraig Powers

Although they do say that the people get the priests they deserve.

The layfolk in our generation are basically Apostate. Little wonder then that the clergy go the same way. The Laity and clergy go together in our Fall. We're all to blame...and there's plenty of blame to go around.

19. Dolours

Dolours Guest

What a nasty, unfounded attack on Cardinal Burke. That some priests make derisory remarks about him says more about them than the Cardinal.

If anyone had any dirt on Cardinal Burke it would have been front page news the day he put his name to the dubia along with the other three Cardinals. Had there been even a hint of scandal on any of the four Cardinals, every heresy-promoting so-called "Catholic" blogger, journalist, newspaper or magazine would have magnified it out of all proportion and made sure to feed it to their friends in the secular media, as happened with Archbishop Vigano and his dispute with his (Jesuit) brother. You can be absolutely sure that whatever Cardinal Burke wore when celebrating Holy Mass were appropriate vestments approved by the Church. To liken priestly vestments to the clothing of a drag queen is scurrilous, expected from gutter press journalists or bloggers but from shameful coming from a Catholic.

Whatever label people choose to put on individual members of the clergy - conservative, liberal, traditionalist or progressive - doesn't make the person an abuser. Maciel was as conservative as McCarrick was liberal and both were evil. And that's not peculiar to the Church. We're seeing the same in the secular world. Look at Harvey Weinstein, regarded as something of a God in Hollywood. Turns out that his antics were common knowledge among the Hollywood glitterati and their media cronies but they sang dumb for the sake of their careers. Jeffrey Epstein's network included the who's who in the political, financial and scientific circles yet the most evil of his accomplices may never face a day in court never mind jail. He was greeted with open arms by the top echelons of society even after he had done time for his sexual predation.

Bad as the scandals are, we all need to remember that not all priests or Bishops have abused or covered up for abuse. And every priest, just like any one of us, is entitled to the presumption of innocence. I have absolutely no doubt that there are abusers in every occupation but apparently only Catholic priests are presumed guilty by virtue of their occupation.

As to whether the vestments of Catholic clergy are OTT, have a look at God's instruction for the clothing of Aeron: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+28&version=CEV
    And Aaron was only offering animal sacrifices in the Temple. At Holy Mass, our priests re-present the eternal sacrifice of the Son of God. That Jesus humbled himself doesn't give us the right to humiliate him. Putting on a veneer of humility doesn't make a priest humble. No truly humble priest would sneer at a Bishop, especially to a layman. There are times that a veneer of humility can hide a lack of appreciation for the enormous privilege ordination confers on priests - and the responsibility which accompanies that privilege. Sometimes it may well be genuine humility but how often is it a sign of the priest's lack of faith in the Real Presence?

maryrose, Sam, AED and 2 others like this.
  20. padraig

padraig Powers

I am really very,very sorry I am more than a little slow on the uptake sometimes. Right it of to innocence. Somehow it didn't click with me that, 'Irish Guy' , was a Troll. But as soon as I put two and two together I banned his from the Forum.

Trolls remind me so much of Demons. It's spooky.

HeavenlyHosts and Mary's child like this.