Can organised religion relieve poverty by selling it's wares?

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by grimisocks, Aug 29, 2012.

1. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

2. grimisocks

grimisocks Principalities

I saw the above photograph on my Facebook page but they're two a penny. We've all seen them. To me, it does pose a question and not just a Roman Catholic one at that. Can religions relieve poverty by selling it's property?
    My view is, yes they can. When I see the opulence of organised religion I do wonder, is this right?
    Opinions please...

3. garabandal

garabandal Powers

The Catholic Church does more for the poor and developing nations than any other organisation on earth!

Poverty in these countries is caused by the West and its exploitation of their natural resources and also by fixing markets to prevent growth from occurring in those nations.

When John Paul II died his possessions could fit into a suitcase!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testament_of_Pope_John_Paul_II

Carmel333 likes this.
  4. Daniel

Daniel Angels

Whoever made that poster is as concerned for the poor as Judas was - it is just another stick to poke the Church with...

John 12:4-7:Then Judas Iscariot'one of his disciples, the man who was to betray him'said, 'Why has this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?' He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he was in charge of the common fund and used to help himself to the contents. So Jesus said, 'Leave her alone; let her keep it for the day of my burial. You have the poor with you always, you will not always have me.'
    Question: Do you recall the comments about Judas in chapter 6:70-71?
    Answer: "Jesus replied to them, 'Did I not choose the Twelve of you? Yet one of you is a devil.' He meant Judas son of Simon Iscariot [Iscariot = man of Kariot], since this was the man, one of the Twelve, who was to betray him."

Note: the town of Kariot is in the province of Judea. Judas name in Hebrew is Yehudah. It is the name of the 4th son of Israel/Jacob who is the father of the tribe of Judah. Like Jesus, Judas is of the tribe of Judah. In each of the lists of the Apostles in the Gospels the note is added that he is a traitor [Matthew 10:4; Mark 3:19; and Luke 6:16]. There is also another Apostle named Judas'a faithful Apostle who is identified as "Judas of James," meaning he is either the son or brother of a man named James (Luke 6:16; Acts 1:13). Like the nation of Judah, these two disciples named for the tribe/nation of Judah are split in their response to Jesus: Judas of James accepting Jesus as the Messiah and his Savior and Lord and Judas Iscariot who fails to receive Jesus into his heart and who rejects Jesus as Savior and Lord.
    Question: Why is Judas Iscariot protest about the wastefulness of the ointment insincere?
    Answer: He does not care about the poor. He is a thief. St Thomas Aquinas commented on Judas' indignation at the "waste" of the expensive ointment: Frequently the servants of Satan disguise themselves as servants of righteousness (cf. 2 Corinthians 11:14-12). Therefore, (Judas) hid his malice under a cloak of piety." (St Thomas Aquinas, Commentary on St John, ad loc., The Navarre Commentary, John, page 163).

Question: What has led to Judas' downfall? Hint: See Matthew 26:15; Mark 14:11; Luke 22:3 &5; John 6:70; 12:2 & 27.
    Answer: He is led into sin through his love of money and becomes a tool of Satan.

You have the poor with you always...
    This statement by Jesus is often misinterpreted by people who excuse themselves from providing for the poor with the excuse that Jesus said there would always be poor people and so solving poverty is impossible. But Jesus is referring to Deuteronomy 15:11. That passage is concerned with the Laws of the Sabbatical Year in which remission must be granted to any creditor holding a personal pledge of another Israelite. At the Sabbatical Year the creditor must release the debtor, who is a covenant brother, from his debt. The passage contains the command that there must be no poor among you. Those who receive material blessings are required to share their bounty with the less fortunate. In Deuteronomy 15:10-11 Yahweh says: When you give to him, you must give with an open heart; for this, Yahweh your God will bless you in all your actions and in all your undertakings. Of course, there will never cease to be poor people in the country that is why I am giving you this command: Always be open handed with your brother, and with anyone in your country who is in need and poor. The teaching is not to neglect the poor but if there were no poor there would be no opportunities to show how much we love God. Jesus is not saying that He is more important than the poor but that the passage from Deuteronomy illustrates how we show our love of Him and our appreciation of His forgiveness by how much love and forgiveness we offer to others.

Jesus defends Mary by saying: Let her use it for the day of my burial...

Carmel333 likes this.
  5. Carmel333

Carmel333 Powers

Alot of the sacred relics and artwork in the Church, were given to the Church by families who specified that the Church was to keep the item, for ALL generations to enjoy. Why doesn't the Government sell all our parks and monuments and get rid of the deficit and take care of the poor? For the very same reason! The Catholic church does more for the poor for the last 2000 years than any other organization ever. Some of these poor people are so grateful that they can go to Mass, and see a beautiful Heavenly place, and belong. Read about St Bernadette of Lourdes and how poor they were, and how the family was so joyful to be able to attend a beautiful Catholic Cathedral to worship. At Mass, even thought they were the poorest of the poor, they as children of God were treated to a Heavenly beautiful place to worship. That is the gift the Vatican gives to ALL Catholic parishes. It makes sure that a Catholic Church is built in splendor for even the poorest to worship in the splendor our beautiful King deserves.

RoryRory likes this.
  6. heyshepard

heyshepard Archangels

7. Well said! Catholic Hospitals give more free treatment to AIDS patients than all the other institutions combined!

8. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

9. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

I agree with you Carmel333 well spoken.The day may come when we will have to begin all over again.