BREAKING: Pope Francis To Step Down

Discussion in 'Pope Francis' started by BrianK, Dec 23, 2020.

1. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

I wouldn't be too hard on the likes of Scott Hahn. It took me a while to get my head around the reality of Pope Francis. 'Is the Pope a Catholic' is a phrase that has lost its irony and this is almost unthinkable.

As for Netflix, weren't they recently in the news for a paedophilic film that sexualised little girls? Perhaps Pope Francis wishes to show that Catholic prelates are equal-opportunity abusers.

Sunnyveil likes this.
  2. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Powers

From "the Pope of the poor," to the Pope of Big Corporations, wow how low this Papacy has gotten...

josephite and Dolours like this.
  3. indaiatubano

indaiatubano Principalities

pope francis will resign? live now

RosaryWielder and Clare A like this.
  4. BrianK

BrianK MOG’s resident Rottweiler Staff Member

Maybe there’s more to this after all...

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pope-francis-signals-again-he-may-step-down-from-being-pope

Pope Francis signals again he may ‘step down’ from being pope
    This is one of many times since his election in 2013 that Pope Francis has spoken about stepping down from his post as Vicar of Christ on earth.

Thu May 17, 2018 - 1:41 pm EST[​IMG]
    By Lisa Bourne

VATICAN, May 17, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – Pope Francis signaled yet again this week the possibility that he may resign from being pope. He asked morning Mass attendees on Tuesday to pray for priests, bishops, and the pope who, he said, must learn “when it’s time to take his leave and step down.”

Francis said he hopes that all pastors have the grace to know when to step down, and that when they do exit their post, they should not “leave halfway,” as reported by Vatican News.

This is one of many times since his election in 2013 that Pope Francis has spoken about stepping down from his post as Vicar of Christ on earth.

In 2014, he suggested that he would entertain the possibility of resigning if his health failed him, because he would not have the “capacity to govern well.” He suggested he would retire like Pope Benedict did if he felt that he could not “go on.”

Again in 2014 Francis said Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation was a “beautiful gesture of nobility, of humility and courage,” adding that it “cleared a path for later popes to do the same.” Francis also said Benedict’s stepping down “should not be considered an exception, but an institution.”

Then, in 2015, Pope Francis said that the Church should not have “leaders for life” and that there “should be a time limit to positions (in the Church).”

In the five years that he has been pope, Francis has allowed the teachings of heretics to go unchecked while he has refused to answer questions about ambiguities in his own teachings. Last year group of clergy and lay scholars from around the world issued a formal “filial correction” of the pope, accusing him of propagating heresies concerning marriage, the moral life, and reception of the sacraments. Earlier this month, Dutch Cardinal Willem Eijk raised the question that Pope Francis may be part of the Church’s “final trial” before the second coming of Christ.

In his homily this week at the Santa Marta papal residence in the Vatican, the Pope said that St. Paul was “compelled by the Holy Spirit” to leave Ephesus and go to Jerusalem, he said, and this “shows us the pathway for every bishop when it’s time to take his leave and step down.”

“When I read this, I think about myself,” Francis said, “because I am a bishop and I must take my leave and step down.”

Francis said as well that all bishops should trust the Holy Spirit in knowing when it’s time for them to step down. “I am thinking of all bishops,” Francis said. “May the Lord grant all of us the grace to be able to take our leave and step down in this way (as St. Paul did), with that spirit, with that strength, with that love for Jesus Christ and this faith in the Holy Spirit.”

“All pastors must take our leave,” he stated. “There comes a moment where the Lord tells us: go somewhere else, go there, go this way, come to me. And one of the steps a pastor must do is to prepare himself to take good leave, not to leave halfway."

Benedict’s historic renunciation of the papacy in 2013 was the first papal resignation in more than 700 years, when Gregory XII gave up the Chair of Peter in 1415.

Since Benedict relinquished his office there has been significant speculation about whether there was more behind his resignation than just frail health, including possible pressure from factionswithin the Church lobbying for a moreprogressive pope. And questions have continually surfaced over governance and authority in the Church with two concurrent living popes.

5. Richard67

Richard67 Powers

I pray that he does not resign, as this would only add to the confusion and doubts that exist regarding Pope Benedict's resignation. We would have three men dressed in Papal white, each calling themselves "Pope."

AED, Don_D, RosaryWielder and 3 others like this.
  6. non sum dignus

non sum dignus Archangels

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/pope-francis-resigning-stepping-down/amp/

He talked in years past of the possibility of resigning...2018 in the LifeSite article.

But the current rumors about 2020 are based on a quote that never happened .. a snip from the article....

“The #fakenews story keeps getting picked up about my predicting the pope’s resignation in 2020. Because he has ignored my tweets and messages, I have now emailed (attached) the @Daily_Express reporter @CallumHoare asking for a correction and its removal. Don’t hold your breath,” wrote Austen Ivereigh.

AED, Jo M and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

I found Nanci Pelosi's comments about dragging Donald Trump out of the of the White House by, 'His tiny hands, hair and feet' so odd. It sounds to me like she wanted to preform an abortion.

For someone who says she does not hate; well it sounds an awful lot like she knows very,very,very well how to hate.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/nancy-pelosi-white-house-house-speaker/2020/12/22/id/1002818/

Clare A, AED, Jo M and 3 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

9. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Thank you for posting that video. Coincidentally, I had watched very recently a couple of Jordan Peterson's Biblical Series videos, the first of which has the title "Introduction to God". Peterson draws heavily on Nietschke. I only watched a few of the videos because, although he made some good arguments for the existence of God and Christianity, he seems to have strange notions on matters of faith. I'm not sure of the terms, but I think that he could be a Deist (not that I know much about Deism). He made some disparaging remark about the Catholic Church which also didn't sit well with me. I scratched him off my list of people worth listening to when he said that the destruction of Sodom was down to a failure to welcome the stranger, repeating the same old stuff that the lavender lobby has introduced to the Catholic Church. Do these people believe the angels just dropped by Lot's House for a cup of tea and a chat only to be shocked when the neighbours didn't say "come on over to our house"? There's a reason the sin got its name from the city but it's not PC to mention that nowadays.

Anyway, it was good to hear Bishop Sheen explain about Nietchske having had a nervous breakdown after writing about the AC. For all that Peterson puts a lot of effort into his lectures, the best way I can explain what's lacking in that series of lectures is that there's a sterility to it - perhaps a lack of God's grace. I know that Peterson has a lot of admirers because he stood against the gender theory nonsense and his outspoken anti-Communism, but I reckon that someone with so little faith giving lectures touching on matters of faith can do more harm than good to young minds. What a pity there are no Bishop Sheens around now.

I'm sure I recall Peterson saying in an interview that he had worked as an advisor to one of those super influential organisations - possibly the Davos crowd. People are quick to attach the Communist label to this Great Reset stuff but I'm not convinced. Sure, the climate change and man is his own god aspect are a dream come true for the likes of Chomsky (I thought he was dead but he isn't) but I'm wondering how much of it comes from the likes of Peterson.

Clare A, josephite, Mario and 2 others like this.
  10. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I have been an admirer of Scott Hahn since I watched him on EWTN. A man of deep faith and so much knowledge. What's not to admire about him? Maybe that's why I was so disappointed when he and others like him were silent as good Catholics were suffering for defending the Faith. My bottom line is that if we could see the problem with Amoris Laetitia they couldn't have been unaware of it and they had a platform. We now have a situation where evil triumphs when good men did nothing. Maybe his being a convert contributed something to his silence. Being a convert didn't silence Taylor Marshall despite all the slurs cast on him.

Clare A, josephite, AED and 5 others like this.
  11. Dolours

Dolours Powers

That's probably the wisest way to deal with it. What can't be cured must be endured and we can't cure the Vatican's ills other than to pray for all involved.

josephite, AED, Jo M and 4 others like this.
  12. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

It's their anti-sacrament. Their idea of the ultimate act, just as ours would be the Mass.

There is nothing worse than a bad winner, far worse than a bad loser.

Clare A, josephite, AED and 2 others like this.
  13. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

It isn't easy to criticise one's pope. He might have decided to leave it to prayer. Maybe he was afraid of schism.

Let us not allow Pope Francis cause division among those who are loyal to the Faith.

Beth B, Clare A, josephite and 2 others like this.
  14. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

What an insightful post!

I never watch this good mans videos but I did watch a few some time ago. He rejected the resurrection of Our Lord.

Which is perfectly fine. No one is obliged to believe in anything.

But I think you nail it. To me you found the perfect word to describe his views:

STERILITY.

But you know what. Brilliant minds and psychological subtleties won’t get us through what’s coming.

What might is surrendering to God’s will.

Having the trust of a little child.

Holding Our Lady’s hand and saying: lead me Mother.

Repeating Jesus I trust in you. Thy will be done.

Without this everything else is just the ego speaking. It’s smoke and mirrors.

Nietzche had a brilliant mind. He rejected Jesus and extolled the virtues of Caesar.

Look how it turned out.

Clare A, josephite, AED and 3 others like this.
  15. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

Great post.

Beware of conservatives who are really only progressives in a lower gear. At least you always knew where you were with Chomsky.

I've never read Nietzche and I've no intention of doing so, but I've read from very trustworthy people over on the Orthosphere site that, as atheists go, he was exceptionally honest. Which is probably why he went mad, being unable to delude himself. Of course, the myth is that it was all down to syphilis. Some of his criticism of the Church might have had a certain validity. He accused the Church of the time for being too 'soft'. Perhaps it was already the latent 'Church of Nice' it has now become. It's hard to imagine the Church of Lepanto, now.

Clare A, AED and Blizzard like this.
  16. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

I think nietzche was an honest though misguided seeker.

I pray that he saw the light before he left this world.

josephite, DeGaulle and padraig like this.
  17. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I know little about any of these people who have had so much influence over the minds of young people for decades.

Peterson seems to believe that although there is a God, man invented religion. The Bible, in his view, is the result of collective wisdom gained by man through experience and observing human behaviour over many generations. That's the Old Testament. I don't know his views on the New Testament. Hope I'm not misrepresenting the man, but that's what I gathered from the videos I watched (listened to because I hadn't the patience to sit looking at the screen for so long and after a while he was inclined to grate on my nerves). I don't think he believes that God sent any angels to Lot's house. I'm not sure he believes that angels exist or that there is an afterlife. In fairness to him, he didn't claim to be an expert on the Bible. He was still on a learning curve at that stage.

He believes that people can have religious experiences and said that drugs can have a similar effect. I didn't know until I read a comment elsewhere that he has had a drug problem, so perhaps he was talking from personal experience. Maybe he understands what he calls a religious experience to be some kind of ecstasy or nirvana but it can't be the Christian awareness of Jesus, our personal saviour who loves us so much that he took human form and died for all of us and would have made the same sacrifice had it been required for a single one of us. I felt sad for him because, having reasoned that there must be a God, he seemed to be trying to fit God into a mould he could accept but wasn't sure what shape the mould should have. I hope that he prays and asks God to set him on the right path, otherwise he could drive himself crazy trying to shape the god mould.

He's also an admirer of Carl Popper, the man who had a big influence on George Soros when Soros was a young man studying at the LSE - that's where Soros got the name for his Open Society Foundation.

I'll say a prayer for him.

DeGaulle and josephite like this.
  18. Dolours

Dolours Powers

According to Bishop Sheen, Nietzche was the son of a Lutheran pastor. According to Jordan Peterson, he was a student of Carl Jung. He wouldn't have been the first super intelligent person to have had a mental illness. It must be a very heavy cross to bear. Heavier for those who believe that this life is all there is.

I haven't read any of them except Jung and that was a single book (if I read the full book), as part of a short course I did years ago. What I read must have been very forgettable because I don't recall any of it other than something linking addictive traits to whether or how long the person had been breast fed as a baby. Or was that the result of poor potty training? I don't remember although I'm sure that breast feeding and potty training were mentioned.

I'm struck by how many of these influential people were Jewish or were influenced by Jewish intellectuals, as well as how many of those Jews flirted with Communism, at least in its early stages. Nowadays, of course, all of them are said to have rejected Communism (in Chomsky's case Marxism). Chomsky seems to be a rebel forever in search of a cause. For someone with a passion to change society, it's strange that he never sought political office. No doubt he has a set explanation for why he didn't but could an unstated reason be that although he can find plenty to rebel against, he knows he doesn't have any solution that would satisfy all his admirers?

That Carl Popper book about the Open Society and its Enemies might be worth reading, if only to get a sense of what Soros has planned for the Great Reset because Soros seems to have a finger in every pie.

Soros may well be the most honest of them all. He doesn't believe in God and says that he is a kind of god. Well, to people with no supernatural faith, his money and the influence it buys would make him a godlike figure. He also makes no apologies for his activities during the war. In fairness to him, he was a child then. I suppose that for someone with no faith, who believes that this life is all there is, self survival at all costs might be an ethical choice. I don't know whether it would but if so, he did what he thought he had to do to survive after his father had put him in the care of the man who used him to the detriment of unsuspecting Jews.

The Fatima prayer has never been needed as much as it is in our time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    DeGaulle, Mario, Clare A and 3 others like this.
  19. DeGaulle

DeGaulle Powers

I am ignorant of the Karl Popper book to which you refer (I'd be grateful if you could provide a wee precis), but I have long been grateful for his strict definitions of the limitations of science and how his thesis of falsifiability nails such pseudo-sciences as Freudianism and the other psychologies, Darwinism and neo-Darwinism, social sciences and all the rest, many with quite an aura of respectability and acceptability, for the charlatanism they represent.

20. Dolours

Dolours Powers

A precis from me? No chance. Reading it will probably have the same effect on me as reading Joyce's Ulysses. I never finished the first chapter of that because it had the same effect as a sleeping pill on me. But here's what Wikipedia says about Popper's book. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Society_and_Its_Enemies

I see that he was no fan of Marks or Hegel. All these names are new to me. Hegel's name pops up a lot. I have seen him referred to as the Protestant Aquinas.

Pope Francis made a remark once about Communists having taken Christian ideas (I'm sure he didn't use those words). I think he was right. But I also think it is probably true of all these atheist do-gooders, communist or not. They take what makes them feel comfortable and superior, discarding what they don't like and most of all belief in the one true God which is essential to making it all come together. Hope I'm making sense.

DeGaulle likes this.