Blessed Columba Marmion, OSB

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by Dave Fagan, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

20201003_190127.jpg Today is the memorial of Blessed Columba Marmion, a fellow Irishman and Dubliner.
    Born in 1858, he was a diocesan priest here for some years before heeding the call to become a Benedictine monk and later Abbot of the Maredsous monastery in Belgium, where he died in 1923.
    Recognised as one of the great Catholic writers and spiritual masters of the 20th century, he was beatified by Pope John Paul II in September 2000.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    AED, Dolours and Sam like this.
  2. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

Dolours likes this.
  3. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/czehnder_bmarmion_sept06.asp

...."From Fr. Tierney's perspective, Marmion "is for everyone." But, he cautioned, "it's not something that you would read like a novel. If you've read three or four pages, that's enough. It's something to be dipped into, to be savored or relished. Marmion said his books were written in prayer and can only be understood in a mentality of prayer. I've seen groups in Ireland, Belgium, France, that meet and read only three or four pages of Marmion and discuss it. People get not only to the stage of knowing Marmion, but loving him."

The Relevance of Marmion

It may be that more Catholics should read Marmion. Fr. Groeschel believes that Marmion offers "a marvelous antidote to the appalling Christologies of our moment. Abbot Marmion is rich in the writings on the Trinity, the Incarnation, and the Mysteries of Christ. He is a tremendous antidote to the shenanigans in our time."

(From the Ignatius Press article linked above).

AED and Dolours like this.
  4. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

5. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I love this quote from Blessed Columba Marmion which I saw on the Dominican's Facebook page:

"What can we give to God that is worthy of him? His Son JESUS. In offering His Son to Him, we render to Him That which He gives us."

AED and Dave Fagan like this.
  6. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

Yes, I'm just learning about Blessed Columba Marmion but have seen some wonderful quotes from him. I bought an anthology of his writing on Kindle today and look forward to reading more of his work.

AED likes this.
  7. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Wasn't he born and raised in Queen Street? Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember seeing a plaque on the house. I wonder if it's still there.

Dave Fagan likes this.
  8. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

Yes, 57 Queen street and he was baptised in St. Paul's on Arran Quay. I must have a look for the house next time I'm in the city centre.

9. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Standing with your back to the Liffey, the house should be on the right hand side of the street. Let us know if you find it.

Dave Fagan likes this.
  10. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

With the current 'working from home' situation I'm not sure when I'll have reason to visit the city centre next, so I thought i'd have a look at Queen Street on Google maps. It appears that there is now a large block of apartments on that stretch near Smithfield. There is a flat complex called Marmion Court nearby.

Dolours likes this.
  11. Dave Fagan

Dave Fagan New Member

The installation of Bishop Stephen Marmion Lowe as Bishop of Hamilton, New Zealand in February 2015. His cross is the Abbatial cross of Blessed Columba Marmion, who was his Great, Great Uncle.

16018111935028526456138641419894.png

Dolours and AED like this.