Beautiful Music For Beautiful Souls

Discussion in 'Music' started by Spirit of Truth, Apr 4, 2015.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

Happier simpler times. I just finished listneing to Bing Crosby singing, 'Would you like to swing on a star', at work. Lovely. beats Lady Gaga.

Tanker and Jo M like this.
  2. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

ANIMA CHRISTI, SANTIFICA ME CORPUS CHRISTI, SALVA ME. SANGUIS CHRISTI, INEBRIA ME AQUA LATERIS CHRISTI, LAVA ME.

Passio Christi, conforta me. O bone Iesu, exaudi me. Intra vulnera tua absconde me.

ANIMA CHRISTI, SANTIFICA ME CORPUS CHRISTI, SALVA ME. SANGUIS CHRISTI, INEBRIA ME AQUA LATERIS CHRISTI, LAVA ME.

Ne permittas a te me separari. Ab hoste maligno defende me. In hora mortis meæ voca me.

Et iube me venire ad te, ut cum sanctis tuis laudem te per infinita sæcula sæculorum. Amen.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
    Body of Christ, save me
    Blood of Christ, inebriate me
    Water from Christ's side, wash me
    Passion of Christ, strengthen me
    O good Jesus, hear me
    Within Thy wounds hide me
    Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
    From the malicious enemy defend me
    In the hour of my death call me
    And bid me come unto Thee
    That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
    and with Thy angels
    Forever and ever
    Amen

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    gracia, Jo M and padraig like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

I was listening to Ft Rutler, whom I grown very fond of the other day talking on EWTN, 'Bookmarks' , abut a book he had just written on the top 100 Christian hymns. He said the old hymns always had profound theological content. 'Anima Christi', is such a good example of this.

I love hymns that give us something solid to chew on. I am afraid modern Church music doesn't usually do this.
    Bad poetry set to bad music.

gracia and Jo M like this.
  4. Blizzard

Blizzard thy kingdom come

I remember our Holy Mother once telling the seers in Medjugorje that she was very fond of the old traditional hymns rather than modern music

5. padraig

padraig New Member

Well I can't imagine in heaven us all singing , 'Kumbaya my Lord' , for all eternity. It would probably bore after about ten minutes.

But, 'Allgiheri Misere', would probably do for the first, say 1000 years.:)

gracia likes this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

I love Gregorian Chant..like being in heaven early:

gracia likes this.
  7. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

Tantum Ergo Sacramentum:

DesertStar7 and gracia like this.
  8. Sanctus

Sanctus "Pray, pray ,pray!"

Compline part one of two:

gracia likes this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

10. padraig

padraig New Member

11. padraig

padraig New Member

12. padraig

padraig New Member

13. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Powers

Thank you to all who are posting music in this thread.

I'm still quite unfamiliar - soon to be rectified.

This helps.

gracia and Sanctus like this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

In Wisdom you have made them all.

From the Psalms

Goodness I hear angels.

That;s what you get when you get a total brilliance composing.

Psalm 103

103 Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

6 The Lord executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.

7 He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.

8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.

9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.

10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.

12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.

14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.

16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.

17 But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.

19 The Lord hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

20 Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.

21 Bless ye the Lord, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.

22 Bless the Lord, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the Lord, O my soul.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

Ahhh From Ireland to Italy to Hollywood.

I could just about die hearing this from the film, : The Silence of the Lambs'

The late Patrick Cassidy, bless him.

It underlines the need of at need some basic need for beauty in Liturgical music.

I could just about die listening to this/

See My Heart

Chorus: And thinking of her
    Sweet sleep overcame me

I am your master
    See your heart
    And of this burning heart
    Your heart
    (Chorus: She trembling)
    Obediently eats.
    Weeping, I saw him then depart from me.

Joy is converted
    To bitterest tears

I am in peace
    My heart
    I am in peace
    See my heart
    https://lyricstranslate.com/en/vide-cor-meum-see-my-heart.html

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    garabandal and DesertStar7 like this.
  16. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Powers

DesertStar7 and garabandal like this.
  17. garabandal

garabandal Powers

18. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Maybe you would feel better about some of those feelgood hymns with a little tweaking of the lyrics. Like this:

:whistle::whistle: Sorry everyone if I've ruined the thread for you. I'll collect me hat'n'coat on the way out.

padraig likes this.
  19. padraig

padraig New Member

I hate to admit it; he sounds a lot like me.:D:D

I tried to join in the Latin chants with the Benedictine Monks at mass the other day and got shot dirty looks.:);)

Some modern stuff is nice. The Tiaze Chants are good but I'm not quite sure if you'd call them modern or not.

20. Dolours

Dolours Powers

It was a spoof, Padraig, by someone who had had enough of the modern hymns. I should have realised that people wouldn't know that without reading the blurb on youtube.

I don't know anything about Taize other than seeing notices in some churches for Taize prayer meetings. I avoided them because, for some inexplicable reason, I associated them with liturgical dance stuff. Clearly, I was wrong because liturgical dance wouldn't be tolerated in some of the churches hosting them. Maybe they're charismatics. Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough. This should get us back on track:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    DesertStar7 likes this.