At Mass last night.

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Jun 30, 2020.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I finally got to mass last night as the Lock Down of services ended. No regular mass for at least three months now. I almost didn't go I was so tired after my night shift. But I had so been looking forward tot his day. So I went to bed and managed to sleep for half and hour. I then had to walk to Church as my car was broken down and also fell asleep several times during the service.:) But I can;t really blame myself, I was exhausted.

The Church was as full as it could be and they even had an organist and choir which was beautiful. The Father said that Mass is essential and should never have been stopped. He was quite right of course.

I had to leave after Holy Communion I was so tired and had already been in Church for well over an hour.

It was the Feast of St Peter and Paul which was significant. I was most interested in the story of the angel rescuing St Peter from prison. He woke Peter up by striking Peter, 'On the side'. I have a feeling Peter must have been in a deep , deep sleep. So perhaps he was on the night shift too.:D:D

Walking home after mass I had a feeling that something wonderful is going to happen in my life shortly. I have had this for quite some time now. Perhaps it is a grace.

It is so wonderful for Christ to visit us in every moment of our lives.

But nowhere so wonderful as at Mass, in the Eucharist.:)

[​IMG]

maryrose, Carmel333, Julia and 11 others like this.
  2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Wonderful!

padraig likes this.
  3. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Padriag, I too finally made it to mass for the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul and received our Lord for the first time in months. I nearly cried tears of joy.
    How anyone could proclaim that the public Mass is non essential I can not help but see it as the work of the Prince of the air.

Catherine L, Jo M, SgCatholic and 8 others like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

The hoof print of the old goat all over it.

Sam, Beth B, Christy1983 and 2 others like this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes, but there is one thing I notice and that is this. It is one thing to miss the Mass because it cannot be avoided and it is quite another to miss if from, say, laziness or lack of belief.

We set limits on God but God sets no limits on Himself. I discovered myself that the love of God desires to enter into our hearts a million times more urgently than even our greatest sins have desired His coming. He came in the Desert of the Loss of the Sacraments just through different doors. He came in other ways as though brought by the hands of angels.

The Waterfalls of grace never ceased.

A lesson for the future.

[​IMG]

Tanker, Catherine L, Sam and 3 others like this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Padraig, I sometimes get the same feeling, that something good is getting ready to happen in my life.....or more properly, God is getting ready to do something good for me.

Sam, Beth B, Don_D and 2 others like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

On thinking of the Good Angels lately (and they are EVERYWHERE in Scripture), a Greek word keeps occurring to me, 'Economia'.

That the angels when they act do so like Athletes. They never waste a second, never waste a movement never waste a word, they are pure, simple action. They could win a gold medal with every footstep. Get a book award with every word. Perfection of Grace. They simply do God's Will. We could learn from them.

It also seems to me that if we cannot find God and His Holy angels in leaning the pots and pans we will never find them on the mountain tops.

But, on the other hand if we cannot find all heaven on the mountaintops, we will never find them in the pots and pans.

[​IMG]

Tanker, Donna259, Sam and 2 others like this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

God has buried us in Good things, mountains of them.

But His Great love urges Him to bury us a whole lot more, forever and ever.

Amen.

HeavenlyHosts and AED like this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

I heard Fulton Sheen tell a wonderful story this morning. One time he was visited by a young girl from New York City. On the way to her very first dance one evening she was attacked by a total stranger. Sometime later she fell pregnant and though she told her sad tale to everyone only three people believed her, including her mother and her local Pastor. Everyone else regarded her as a fallen woman, something of a slut.

Though a devout Catholic she was shunned at Church, they would not even let her join he local choir. But Fulton said a wonderful thing to her. He said that just as Christ had taken the sins of the entire world on Himslef so she had taken the sins of a perfect shoulder on herself fro his Redemption.

It seems to me with the virus and the loos off the Sacraments the Good God asks us to take the sins of the entire world on ourselves.

Let us do so joyfully and with trust.

Tanker, Jo M, josephite and 7 others like this.
  10. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I went to Mass today for the first time since March. I was given a ticket at the door but I don't know why. I don't know how many people were there - probably close to the limit of 50. Our parish is full of saints. Three months since we had Confession and it seemed that everyone received Communion. Priest and EMHCs each stood behind a table in front of the altar; each table had what seemed to be a plate covered by a linen cloth; the consecrated hosts were laid out separately on the cloth; people helped themselves to the hosts while the priest/EMHC said "the Body of Christ".

I have three days to find somewhere else to get Confession, go to Mass and receive Communion for the first Friday and Saturday.

Carmel333, Pray4peace, Sam and 3 others like this.
  11. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

:):):)
    :eek::cry:

Carmel333 likes this.
  12. Donna259

Donna259 Archangels

wow are you in the US? that's ridiculous

13. Mario

Mario Powers

:(:(:(
    O MARY CONCEIVED WITHOUT SIN, PRAY FOR US WHO HAVE RECOURSE TO THEE!

Tanker, Don_D and AED like this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

I tried to get to mass last evening but was tired I just fell asleep. But fresh as a daisy this morning marched up with great joy and got there just as the Father was opening the doors.:) I tried greeting him but I think they are taught not to be distracted before mass, which is wonderful. Old School.

He is Canadian and as a child his family, 'Converted' to the Traditional Rite. A very, very prayerful priest indeed. I love all this it is like going back in a Time Machine to better days. Everything I see in this old way of doing things seems good.:):)

Today if the Feast of the Most Precious Blood. Pope St John 23rd had a huge devotion to the Precious Blood and mentions this numerous times in his autobiography. I confess I have never followed this and am more familiar with it through Protestant Hymns. Strange but true.:):)

I feel this huge draw to give much, much more time to Church and prayer at the moment. Night is falling. We must get ourselves set.

I noticed a new statue to St Anthony holding the Child Jesus beside where I sit. I studied it today, it is gorgeous. I hate bad statues.;)

What a delight to be back at Mass again!!
    [​IMG]

Te Deum, Julia and Sam like this.
  15. Dolours

Dolours Powers

This is post-Christian Ireland where our priests have to tread very carefully. The Church, especially the priest, would be blamed should anyone who had attended Mass and received Communion contract the virus. The prevailing atmosphere here is such that it wouldn't matter where else the person had been, it would be all the fault of the Catholic Church irrespective of where, when and how the person was infected. To our civil authorities, worshipping God at Holy Mass is on the same level as a visit to the hairdresser. Hair salons were permitted to open up on the same day as public Masses were permitted. Had one of those parishioners visited a hairdresser/supermarket/restaurant after Mass and subsequently fell ill with the virus, the newspaper headlines would be screaming about the dangers of Mass and Communion and the visit to the hairdressers/supermarket/restaurant might barely merit a mention.

The priests and volunteers in our parish are good people with the best intentions. They truly want to keep people safe and make sure that the Government won't ban Mass again. And it must have been a joyous occasion for the priest seeing people at Mass who weren't there for a funeral. The sad part is that no matter how many hoops the Church jumps through to keep everyone safe, it won't make a whit of difference when someone who has been to Mass does contract the virus which is bound to happen now that the lockdown is all but over and the virus hasn't gone away.

It was a weird experience. I can't banish from my mind similarities with going to the cinema.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Tanker, Donna259, AED and 2 others like this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

I believe people are being trained or weaned off going to Mass. It is a Test Run for the Big Ban which is coming. Imagine if Catholics had been banned for using the Internet during the Lock Down.

There would have been a Revolution. But for loss of the Sacraments there was hardly a whimper. What you love, your Family, your Country, your Faith you will die to Defend. It this was a Test Run,we Catholics scored 1 out of ten.

It must have been the same when the Protestant Authorities in England during Elizabethan Times when they banned all things Catholic. They must have been astonished what they could get away with. In Catholic Ireland however folks said , 'No', to stopping the Mass right from the very start and so preserved the Faith.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Don_D, AED, Sam and 2 others like this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

You know the Evil One was never going to come to us and say,

'I want the Mass stopped because I hate it!'

No, that was never his way of how he works.

What he was always going to say was,

'I need the Mass stopped for you own good'.

Which was exactly what he did.

Don_D, AED and Sam like this.
  18. padraig

padraig New Member

The trouble is we don't pray enough.

..and because we don't pray enough ,we don't love enough.

...and because we don't love enough, we don't care enough.

[​IMG]

19. Carmel333

Carmel333 Archangels

So today I went to daily Mass again, and since I read our letter from the Diocese, and Father seemed encouraged when I received on the tongue a few weeks ago, I received on the tongue again today. I feel VERY uncomfortable receiving in the hand, and I did try it when the Churches opened as everyone else seemed to be doing it. Anyway, our Diocese of La Crosse said it encourages communion in the hand during this time, but never forbid communion on the tongue. Father Francis is very good about giving communion on the tongue, and I have never felt his thumb or finger once touch my tongue since he has been there. Long story short, after Mass a lady I've never seen before came over to me and told me it was now FORBIDDEN to receive communion on the tongue. I respectively disagreed and told her what the letter from the Bishop in our Diocese had said, and that Father had smiled and nodded when I had stuck my tongue out at him. She then started to raise her voice and yell that I am putting them all at risk, and putting Father at risk. I told her I felt very uncomfortable receiving in the hand, and that I felt it was more important to be as reverent as possible to the Lord in receiving, and that she should re-read the guidelines of the Diocese to see that it was not forbidden. She started talking about medical stuff regarding the virus, and I interrupted her and asked that if she had a problem or a complaint, she should take it up with Father or the Bishop and again tried to pray. I told her I did not want to argue with her and I disagreed. Anyway, she asked me to please sit in the very back and receive communion last as she was not comfortable with me. I told her I would do that from now on if it made her feel more comfortable. Has anyone else had any issues like this happen to them? Did I do the right thing? Would love your opinions on this!

20. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

That lady has no authority over you, where you sit, or how you receive Holy Communion. You went over and above your duty to even speak with her.
    No, thankfully, I have been able to receive on the tongue, no issues.
    I would try my best to ignore her. Pray for her. I’ll pray about this as well. Thank you for bringing this up. I hope she will go away.

Tanker, Don_D, Carmel333 and 2 others like this.