Another Native American to possibly become a Saint! Black Elk of South Dakota.

Discussion in 'Inspirational Stories' started by TinNM, May 26, 2021.

1. TinNM

TinNM Archangels

I had not heard of Black Elk, Nicholas Black Elk, here he is on the left, talk about inspirational!:

[​IMG]

‘A long line’ of holy catechists have served the church, pope notes – Catholic Philly

A catechist from the United States may soon be added to their ranks. The U.S. bishops in November gave their formal support to the sainthood cause of Nicholas W. Black Elk, a 19th-century Lakota catechist who is said to have introduced hundreds of Lakota people to the Catholic faith.

“Black Elk — Catholic, husband, father and elder — he was an ardent catechist and an internationally admired mystic,” Bishop Robert D. Gruss of Rapid City, South Dakota, told his fellow bishops.
    And from Epic Pew, I was unaware of this Catholic website but it looks good... their story:

4 Quick Things to Know About Possible Saint, Black Elk – EpicPew

A few books on him as well:

Black Elk's Religion: The Sun Dance and Lakota Catholicism (The Iroquois and Their Neighbors): Holler, Clyde: 9780815603641: Amazon.com: Books

More, South Dakota news: Nicholas Black Elk headed toward becoming a Saint (kotatv.com)

So, just a brief mention on this. Please see links for more. Another amazing story.

Carol55, AED, Ananchal and 3 others like this.
  2. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

Excellent! :)

RosaryWielder likes this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

Thank you so much. Love these new friends in heaven.:)

AED and TinNM like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

When I was young there was a popular book making the rounds: Black Elk Speaks. It must be the same man.

TinNM likes this.