Alert: Volcano eruption in La Palma could result in mega-tsunami

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by luz, Sep 14, 2021.

1. BrianK

BrianK Powers Staff Member

Still going…

Michael Pio, AED, josephite and 3 others like this.
  2. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

3. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" ADMIN Staff Member

New ash emissions have started on south west vent, lava continues to flow over sea cliff face..

latest drone footage of the main cone..

Michael Pio and Ananchal like this.
  4. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I don't think that's smoke coming from the volcano; I think it's steam, and I don't know if that's good or bad or indifferent.

"Quis ut Deus" likes this.
  5. BrianK

https://www.guidetocanaryislands.com/current-volcanic-eruption-now-longest-la-palma-history/

The current volcanic eruption is now the longest in La Palma's history
    [​IMG]
    Image source: Instituto Volcanológico de Canarias
    The current volcanic eruption on La Palma started on September 19th and at that moment probably no one thought that it will last this long, surpassing the previous longest eruption known to happen on the island.

Today, December 11th, the Cumbre Vieja volcano has been erupting for 84 days, equal to the amount of time of the eruption that happened in 1585, of the Tehuya volcano, which lasted between 19 May and 10 August 1585.

Although the eruption is still ongoing on La Palma, there are some signs that it might lose strength, so people are now hoping that it will end before the end of 2021, although this prediction has not been confirmed by experts in the field.

The decrease in seismicity, with only 9 earthquakes in the last 24 hours, and the slight increase in the area affected by the lava -which runs on previous flows- have been the main novelties announced by PEVOLCA.

The area affected measures approximately 1,184 hectares, while the lava deltas measure about 48 hectares. There are 72.75 kilometers of road destroyed or affected by the lava, according to the latest record. In addition to the affected portions of the LP-2, LP-211, LP-212, LP-213, and LP-2132, it is estimated that more than 10 kilometers correspond to streets, slightly more than 2 kilometers to crossings and more than 49 kilometers to other roads.

Regarding air quality, there have been high concentrations of gases, especially SO2 and CO2, in restricted access areas (exclusion or evacuated) in the south of the island.

Sent from my iPhone

6. jackzokay

jackzokay Powers

Look up the 249gramme rule. It used to be that anything under that weight didn't require a permit. I think this is still the case - but of course this may vary from region to region.
    As Brian says, the Mavic is the drone to buy. The mini 2 is a great starter drone. And fairly reasonably priced. Its under the 249 grammes too.
    I've got the Holystones and several similar ones. But none of these can compete with the Mavic. They are mere imitations.
    Also, buy a bundle (which usually comes with 3 batteries - the value in this cannot be understated).
    I'd highly recommend this hobby to those that spend a bit of time outdoors....

Mario and Michael Pio like this.
  7. "Quis ut Deus"

Latest update from Discovery .....

Around noon local time (Sunday 12/12/2021) a sudden large explosion occurred at the main crater of the cone, producing a steam and ash plume that quickly rose to estimated 5,000-6,000 meters altitude.
    The event was likely a so-called vulcanian explosion, typically caused when a larger plug in the upper conduit has formed and is suddenly thrown out when gas pressure underneath overcomes a threshold (comparable to a cannon-shot mechanism).
    Today's explosion likely might be due to the fact that the conduits have gradually been closing up / filling with debris in their upper parts as supply of rising material is less abundant. This fits with the model that the eruption has entered its final waning stage, but also creates highly dangerous conditions, because such explosions could (and likely will) repeat in the days to come.

Carol55, Beth B, AED and 3 others like this.
  8. "Quis ut Deus"

***Breaking news ****

PEVOLCA orders Confining population Los Llanos, El Paso and Tazacorte the situation of the air quality extremely unfavourable for sulphur dioxide..

Things seem to making a turn for the worst again?

Carol55, AED and Mary's child like this.
  9. "Quis ut Deus"

10. BrianK

11. "Quis ut Deus"

Since 9pm last night Involcan has reported no volcanic tremor which would suggest the volcano has or is coming to an end, However volcano discovery report an increase in volcanic activity, earthquake activity and volcanic tremor so I have no idea what to believe ?????

Rose, Jo M, Carol55 and 2 others like this.
  12. "Quis ut Deus"

Well from what I have seen and read today I will presume that the volcano is indeed at an end.. Hopefully through the grace of God the people of La palma can embrace Christmas and rebuild their lives.

Rose, HeavenlyHosts, Byron and 5 others like this.
  13. AED

AED Powers

That would be a miraculous intervention for sure. May they receive this gift for Christmas!

HeavenlyHosts, Mary's child and Jo M like this.
  14. Whatever

Whatever Powers

Gutntog uploaded this little video of the church in Tazacorte. The church is dedicated to "Our Lady of Anguish". That's the first I ever heard that title for Our Lady. I wonder is it the same as Our Lady of Sorrows?

AED likes this.
  15. BrianK

Rose and Ananchal like this.
  16. BrianK

AED and Rose like this.
  17. Basto

Basto Guest

Spanish authorities have just declared the end of the eruption of the Cumbre Vieja volcano, which has lasted 85 days and 8 hours since 19 September.

Whatever, AED and IheartMary like this.
  18. IheartMary

IheartMary Angels

Wow! It looks like the Canary flew out alive, and on Christmas, too! Jesus has saved the entire East Coast! Is anyone else seeing the symbolism? :):D

miker, Mary's child, Whatever and 2 others like this.
  19. Basto

Basto Guest

The occurrence of an eventual mega tsunami as a result of landslides, in this case, was always a very remote possibility. But this risk will remain for a long time after the eruption because all the geological material that resulted from the volcanic eruption is not yet very consolidated and any geomorphological agent, such as an earthquake, could lead to a major collapse.

20. Muzhik

Muzhik Powers

I was going to comment about speaking too soon, because a couple of hours ago I checked the webcam and saw it spouting lava. Just checked again and now I clearly see the caption, Archived Eruption Highlights.