About the Afterlife

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Luan Ribeiro, Jun 29, 2018.

1. josephite

josephite Powers

I remember a priest giving a beautiful homily about what happens on earth and what happens in heaven.

The part of the homily that struck me were words to the effect....

Who we are associated with here on this earth is who we will be associated with in heaven ! The priest was refering to Jesus, saying if we are not associated with Jesus here on the earth then how do we expect to be associated with Him in the afterlife?

I also took from this same homily a notion that while on earth we are placed in our little corner of the world, in the time that is ordained and with those that we are to help and who help us! Here on this earth we are on a pilgrimage towards our home which is heaven and God allows us to journey with those who have a special connection to us, that is our family and other people we pray for, who we may not know but have a connection with in some way, saints in heaven who we have a connection with and even angels that are appointed to guard us.

Also interesting in regards to the afterlife, is an email I recieved from a good Catholic friend who wrote the following...

My dad was a good, down to earth Catholic who loved The Church and lived according to her precepts. He was knighted twice by Pope St John Paul II for his pro life work and his work in Catholic education.

His earthly body gave up the spirit for the final part of his journey 10 years ago but before his work here was accomplished he told only me and my mum the following story. Given his faith, I was surprised by what he related.

He was on the operating table when his soul left his body. Detached from his body, he saw all that was going on in the operating theatre.

Suddenly he found himself transported to the most beautiful and peaceful setting imaginable. He was not alone.

He looked around in wonder and then addressed his companion saying how great it was to be in this extraordinary place. But dad was very astute.

He asked “It is heavenly but it’s not heaven is it?”
    “You are quite right George. It is not heaven,” was the reply.
    “And you are not God” said dad.
    “I am not God” was the reply.
    “Am I going to see God?” asked dad.
    “It is not yet your time,” he was told.
    “Then why am I here?” asked dad.
    “We have seen how afraid of death you are and we have brought you here to give you a little taste of what lies beyond your present life. We want you to see there is nothing to fear in the afterlife.”

After that Dad’s spirit returned to his body better able to complete his work on earth. He lived for many more years in the Faith that drives out fear. He spent his retirement years as a Eucharistic Minister, visiting the sick and the dying comforting them, holding their hands and praying for an easy passage for them. In this they found peace and quiet and were enabled to let go in the light of love.

In Garabandal Fr Louis Andre S.J. was given a preview of the Great Miracle just before he died. He exclaimed “How fortunate we are to have such a mother in heaven.” He also said, “There is nothing to fear in the afterlife.”

Love in The Life of Christ

AED, Seagrace, gracia and 3 others like this.
  2. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Fantastic, Josephite
    Reminds me of the old saying “bloom where you are planted”
    I do believe we are each assigned a territory and a mission and your post confirmed it for me
    thank you (y):)

AED, Seagrace, gracia and 1 other person like this.
  4. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Archangels

Today's reading from the Book of Wisdom...

"For God did not make Death, he takes no pleasure in destroying the living.
    14 To exist -- for this he created all things; the creatures of the world have health in them, in them is no fatal poison, and Hades has no power over the world:

If God made Adam and Eve, and put them in the Garden of Eden, should we consider this a possibility of what Heaven is meant to be to some degree?
    Just a thought.

AED, gracia, sterph and 1 other person like this.
  5. gracia

gracia Archangels

Father gave a good homily on what it means to be healed, and cared for by God. He recounted the story of a priest consoling a mother whose daughter had just died of leukemia. She asked him "Father, why didn't God heal my daughter?" After praying for guidance on how to answer for a moment, the priest replied "God has healed your daughter now".

josephite and AED like this.