20th anniversary of "9/11" - where were you?

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by DesertStar7, Sep 11, 2021.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

Psalm 91

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." 3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. 4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. 5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, 6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. 7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. 8 You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. 9 If you make the Most High your dwelling- even the LORD, who is my refuge- 10 then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. 11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; 12 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. 15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. 16 With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

Beautiful

Jo M likes this.
  3. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

The Lord Bless you and Keep you

Jo M likes this.
  4. Jo M

Jo M Powers

So beautiful, gave me chills.

5. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

:)

6. Carol55

Carol55 Ave Maria

It is still a little difficult to talk about 9/11/2001.

My two older children were in grammar school and I was getting ready for the rest of the day which included dropping my youngest off at nursery school when it came on the news.

I got a phone call from one of my sister-in-laws, she was checking on my husband who thankfully was working locally that day. Originally, he was supposed to have a meeting in the WTC but I think that was planned for later in the morning and he wouldn't have been there when the planes struck.

I was worried about one of my childhood friends who I thought was working in one of the buildings. Later that morning, I found out that he was not but two other childhood friends were and they both perished. One was father to two small children.

9 people from the town I grew up in died in the towers along with 13 people from the town I have lived in since I was married.

The day consisted of picking up my two older children and trying not to appear to be too anxious about what had occurred.

I can't remember when fighter jets started flying over my house but that seemed to last for days and increased my level of anxiety.

I also found out that another neighborhood friend and classmate of mine from our parish school lost his brother in the towers. Here is his story https://www.chaminade-hs.org/about/...-school-remembers-911-20-years-later-20210910 .

All of those I knew personally who perished that day belonged to the same Catholic church that my family did. In fact, we were very close to one of the families and they all attended my wedding.

Years later, one of my students told me that he was one of the firemen holding up the American flag in one of the pictures which became very famous. I was teaching college classes and he was on disability and looking to begin a new career.

Through the years, my children have met classmates and team mates who lost a parent in the towers. It has been heartbreaking. Edited to add a story from my children's high school and a photo: https://patch.com/new-york/huntington/video-st-anthonys-dedicates-911-memorial Two of my children were in attendance at the school at the time of this dedication.

upload_2021-9-13_7-29-27.png

Since, we live on LI about 40 miles from downtown Manhattan there are many 9/11 memorials. Almost every fire department and school has a piece of the remains from one of the buildings placed on their lawn and several towns and counties have constructed memorials which I felt was a good reminder of that day but unfortunately my feeling this year is that many, many politicians have forgotten and worse yet, sold us out. I honestly can't express how these past few weeks have felt but I think that many of you probably feel the same way. I suppose that I feel that we have moved very close to a chastisement and I imagine that many of you are thinking the same thing.

Jesus I trust in you.+

Edited to add:

I just watched this on the Huckabee show that I had DVR'd yesterday.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  7. AED

AED Powers

Yes. Your words resonate.

8. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I feel the exact same way , the way you have expressed it. I am sorry for your loss of so many friends and members of your parish. So much a part of your life.
    Jesus will reconcile all things to Himself.
    We have that assurance. We just have to wait on the Lord.

9. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

Wow. :(

I have no family or friends in your area, and to this date have never yet met anyone directly impacted (unless they simply didn't make it known).

My sister went to listen to this man, Joe Torrillo, this past weekend: http://www.joetorrillo.com/ in Clear Lake, Iowa (near our hometown). Apparently a piece of 9/11 wreckage is on permanent display in Clear Lake. I haven't yet seen it, but I'm seldom home.

Carol55 and HeavenlyHosts like this.