20th anniversary of "9/11" - where were you?

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by DesertStar7, Sep 11, 2021.

1. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 To Jesus + through Mary @-}---

I was in this very same home office. Had AOL then. Took a work break to check the news on AOL's home page.

Prominent headline: An airplane has crashed into one of the Twin Towers.

No accompanying (yet) photo. No streaming video (impossible then?).

I figured a small passenger plane, either a two- or four-seater. Pilot had a stroke or a heart attack?

Must return to work. Did so. Forgot.

About 20 minutes later I check AOL news again. A second plane has struck the other Tower. o_O

Okay, something's going on!! :cautious:

Run to the living room. Switch on American Broadcasting Corporation. News anchors pallid. In shock. Halting speech. And ... VIDEO :cry:

The company I worked for sent urgent e-mails demanding people return to production. That was SO difficult to do. :( Fortunately the technology didn't yet exist to check keystrokes per minute and pause time. :coffee: Did my best, but focusing on work was almost impossible.

You?

Sam, Jo M, Beth B and 2 others like this.
  2. Luan Ribeiro

Luan Ribeiro Archangels

I was at home

3. Byron

Byron Powers

Having a cup of coffee, and watching the news. It was terrifying. I drove back to school to pick up my kids. And we prayed on the ride back home for our family and friends in NY.

Jo M, Beth B, HeavenlyHosts and 2 others like this.
  4. PurpleFlower

PurpleFlower Powers

I was 16, not quite out of bed yet (homeschooled), when my 9 year old sister rushed in with a phone in her hand, shouting, "Wake up and turn on the news!" Her best friend across the street had called to see if we knew. I foggily looked at her and she said, "A plane flew into a tower or something..."

I was like, "Huh?" We ran into the living room, followed by our 7 year old sister and 5 year old brother, and turned on the TV to see video of the first plane crashing into the tower. As I was trying to process this in horror, the report came in of the 2nd crash. We were terrified and dumbfounded. I ran to wake up my dad, and when he came and watched it, he broke down in tears. I'll never forget him crying. I started crying too, especially when we saw people jumping from the windows. He kept softly calling on God.

We woke up my mom. Her response was to spring into action: prayer. We turned on all the TVs and for the next several days we prayed all day for those who died and for the survivors to be found. We went to daily Mass and the church was full. My dad painted God Bless America on the back window of our van, as almost everyone else had some similar message of prayer and patriotism on their vehicles. In a way, I miss those days.

Sam, Byron, Jo M and 5 others like this.
  5. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I was driving to work listening to the morning news and drinking coffee when the hosts yahoo messenger app on his cell phone started chiming like crazy in the background. That's weird I thought. I wonder what that's about... About 20 seconds later he announced that a small plane had hit one of the towers. I really didn't think too much else about it. NY has a lot of air traffic. Then I remembered the bombing and the wheels started turning.
    When I arrived at the office the TV was rolled out into the commons area with about 8 of my coworkers standing around it. I knew then it had to be more serious than a small plane by the looks on their faces. The first thing I saw was footage of the airliner hitting the first tower, followed shortly after by the second.
    We were all kind of dumbstruck. I called my wife and told her what happened. She was about 7 months pregnant at the time. I don't recall feeling much of anything to be honest, I just remember thinking that this was the pearl harbor of our time and war was going to be the central focus of all our lives from this point forward. Then the people started jumping from the towers and I just couldn't watch it. I think I went to my desk and prayed for them.
    I left the office, my boss told us all to go home and be with our loved ones. I was grateful for that, I didn't want my wife being alone.

Sam, Byron, Jo M and 5 others like this.
  6. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I was talking on the phone early in the morning, East Coast time, about 8;35, to my son’s godmother. When we finished, I turned on the tv to catch the news. I saw the footage of the first plane, followed by a live shot of the 2nd plane. In horror, I called her back. Then I called my husband at work, and he had been informed of the plane hitting the Pentagon. I vaguely remember that they could see the smoke from where they were working. I stayed by the news for awhile. Like Don, I was disturbed by those people jumping. I was in prayer and went for a walk. The sky was so blue that day. No air traffic.

Sam, Don_D, Byron and 3 others like this.
  7. Clare A

Clare A Archangels

I was settling my youngest into her new school when my husband called me on his mobile with the awful news. He said that casualties weren’t yet known but there were many thousands in the WTC so the death toll was likely to be over ten thousand.

In shock I drove home with the strange desire to have all my four children with me. My heart was full of love for the American people whom I had got to know so well when we lived there. Of course I went straight to the tv when I got home and saw those terrible pictures. America was never alone in this. The next day our newspaper had an editorial saying ‘they (the US) are family’. So true.

Don_D, Byron, BrianK and 4 others like this.
  8. Donna259

Donna259 Powers

I was the School Nurse for a middle school of 1400 5th and 6th graders. We are close to NYC and many of our parents worked at WTC. I spent the day handing children off to crying parents who had no idea if their wives/husbands were alive or dead. Phones were jammed. Unable to get calls through. I personally worried about my brother and brother in law who both worked nearby in downtown NYC....

I'll never forget hearing fighter pilots zooming overhead throughout the day for National Security. It was the scariest day in memory. They were flying from NY to DC all day long....I thought we were at war, in a sense, we were.

Don_D, Byron, Rain and 6 others like this.
  9. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

You were on the front lines.

Don_D, Byron, Mario and 3 others like this.
  10. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Same here…I watched the second plane fly into the tower. Horrifying….
    The poor souls that died that day and the sorrowful families.
    How can such evil exist……

Now because of the Biden failure in Afghanistan , I fear we are in danger again , 20 years later. God have mercy.

Don_D, Byron, Rain and 4 others like this.
  11. Mario

Mario Powers

Don_D, Byron, Rain and 5 others like this.
  12. Jo M

Jo M Powers

I was at work. My mother, never one to call me when I was working, called to tell me she was in the backyard with the dog when she heard the fighter jets take off from the air base near the house. She thought something was wrong, and was horrified when she turned on the TV. Like so many in offices, we were also huddled around a small TV, I don't know how we ever made it through the day. My husband was eventually deployed to Iraq, and while he was there I took my son to NYC to the Twin Towers site where they had a massive makeshift memorial on the fences, and walls surrounding the area. It was an emotional moment for the both of us. I recall staring down into that bottomless black pit where the buildings once stood, no words to describe the evil, and sorrow that took place there. :cry: It is hard to believe that it has been 20 years.

Don_D, Byron, Rain and 5 others like this.
  13. DesertStar7

Yes, no air traffic after, and for many days after. I remember when, on going outside, looking up at the sky to see absolutely no contrails day after day. I thought, this is what the sky looked like 100 years ago.

And terrible to know WHY. :(

And yes, for many months after, most vehicles proudly displaying at least one American flag from an antenna.

Jo M, Don_D, Rain and 3 others like this.
  14. Mario

Mario Powers

This is what the true heart of America is like, now buried not in the rubble of 9/11, but under the murderous guise of politicians in league with the Great Reset.

Lord have mercy!

Jo M, Don_D, Rain and 3 others like this.
  15. Mario

Mario Powers

Yes, I had driven the 35 minute ride into work without the radio on; as I entered the building I was puzzled why fellow workers were clustered together around TVs. Seeing a plane crash into the Tower, I just stood there dumbfounded. Then I went to my desk and called Geralyn. The day is forever inscribed in my memory! :censored:

Safe in the Refuge of the Immaculate Heart!

Jo M, Rain, Clare A and 2 others like this.
  16. Mario

Mario Powers

17. BrianK

BrianK Archangels Staff Member

I was 15 miles from the Shanksville PA 9/11 crash site when it happened. They closed the whole top of the hill around the Johnstown PA airport to just military and emergency units. My office was just outside the exclusion area fortunately.

A good friend knows a drag bucket operator at a strip mine near the crash site who claims to this day that he saw the airliner, and a following A-10 Warthog that shot that flight out of the air with its machine gun.

A patient had debris from the crash in his yard at Indian Lake. Eight miles the way the crow flies from the crash site to my patient’s home. They also believe it was shot down because the debris field was too widespread if it went straight into the ground, in their opinion.

I frankly don’t know what to think, even now, 20 years later.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-401315/Flight-93-shot-claims-book.html
    “Certainly it is unclear how a single piece of fuselage the size of a dining room table could have been recovered from a marina in Indian Lake, a couple of miles away from the crash site — unless it fell from the sky during an aerial break-up.”

Sam, Jo M, Don_D and 4 others like this.
  18. HeavenlyHosts

HeavenlyHosts Powers

I just read the link. Now I don’t know what to think either.

Jo M and DesertStar7 like this.
  19. DesertStar7

Hmmm. :(

Jo M, BrianK and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  20. Luan Ribeiro

Luan Ribeiro Archangels

at the time of the attacks how many Christians did not think it was the beginning of the great tribulation?

DesertStar7 likes this.