1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Which cross do you pray before?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by soldier of christ, Aug 23, 2017.

1. soldier of christ

soldier of christ Principalities

A thought came to me today as I was driving to mass, why do I prefer to look upon the cross with Jesus crucified. I have been "reminded" several times that we Roman Catholics focus on Christ crucified, where the Byzantine Rite focuses on Christ resurrected which displays a cross with no body. I guess I never contemplated it much before, but I do prefer a Christ crucified cross. It helps pull me back when my "head gets a little too big" and I think I am being a wonderful Christian. Resurrection is my goal, but the road there can be just as important. I must take up my cross and carry it, life is hard and Jesus never said it would be easy, he led the exemplary life for us to follow

Dolours, HeavenlyHosts and gracia like this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Interesting thought. I too prefer the cross of the Crucifixion for the reminder it gives of the passion of Our Lord. This helps me to remember that he bares my cross as well with the Grace he bestows on us to carry our crosses. I could never carry it without it.

Dolours, HeavenlyHosts and gracia like this.
  3. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

In the lives of the saints we are shown again and again that we are to unify ourselves and our suffering with that of Our Lord. With His Passion. Many saints would kiss His Wounds on the Crucifix or gaze upon it and meditate on His Suffering. This is not to say that meditating on the Resurrection or on any aspect of Our Savior's Life is not good, but I think meditating on His ultimate Sacrifice and Act of Redemption for all mankind should be the main focus.

I heard one Catholic speaker say once that you can sum up good and evil in one short thought. Holiness is about self-sacrifice. Evil is about self-indulgence.

Dolours, Mac, sterph and 4 others like this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

The Irish Church used to be heavily influenced by the East so in the Celtic Cross you often see in graveyards you see the sun of the Resurrection framing the Cross like so:

[​IMG]

Don_D likes this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

For the first few centuries after the death of Jesus there was no crucifixes at all. The Early Christians considered the manner of death far too hideous and shameful to represent. It took the Church several centuries to catch its breath so to speak and make the first crucifix.

The first representation of Jesus crucified was not until the 4th or 5th centuries. There were , for instance, no crucifixes in the Catacombs.

I am afraid we have lost the full awful impact of what the crucifixation really meant. The utter shame and horror of it. It was the worst of the worst.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    gracia likes this.
  6. maryrose

maryrose Powers

I find it difficult to look at the cross. It is so brutal. I feel mute before the barbarity. I don't feel able to give any kind of adequate response.

padraig, AED and gracia like this.
  7. padraig

padraig New Member

Maybe the only response is to have no response? To kind of go quiet. I have always loved St Teresa of Avila's vision of Our Lady at Christ's Resurrection . She describes Mary standing, 'Frozen with sorrow'. The Risen Christ, her son appears to her and simply hugs her with love for a long time defreezing her of her sorrow, so to speak. I especially loved the film , 'The Passion of the Christ' for portraying the Sorrowful Virgin so well.

I think in facing the Cross we naturally fall silent in a place were words fail.

I find it so very rare to see a crucifix that portrays the actual physical sufferings of Jesus any way well. For instance he lost every drops of His blood and so would have been totally red, covered in blood.

But one time many many years ago I saw a hand carved wooden Cross from around the 15 th century which did show a truly graphic death. I wish they all did.

Last night I was reading a life of St Clare which describes the Byzantine Cross at St Damiano which St Francis and St Clare prayed in front of and which used to talk to St Francis.

Lovely thought.

[​IMG]

https://www.monasteryicons.com/product/Story-of-the-San-Damiano-Crucifix/did-you-know

sterph and gracia like this.