1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Well now, here's a thought that got me thinking about vices

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by djmoforegon, Jun 17, 2016.

1. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

Gabriel Thomas Mosher (Dominican priest)
    2 hrs · Portland, OR ·
    The seeking after consolations is a vice. I'm not sure that many people realize that this is a vice. This is a common vice today. Not only is it common, it is ubiquitous. This vice, in fact, may be at the root of much of our culture's existential angst. The need for liturgy that consoles me and "speaks to my heart," the need for affirming language from the pulpit instead of correction, the feeling of discouragement when the Holy Father critiques a certain subset of problems in society are all manifestations of this vice.

I need to think about this more, but it seems correct. It's directly related to what I think is the primary cultural vice we are all affected by, which is acedia. We need to be more reflective about this so that we avoid this vice of seeking after consolations

kathy k and Julia like this.
  2. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Julia, Sam, djmoforegon and 1 other person like this.
  3. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Just been walking in my garden saying my rosary. I have been developing a prayer garden for the past year. I have shrines to Jesus and Mary at opposite ends. It's really nice now with all the summer flowers. Whenever I have a minute I grab my rosary beads and go to my garden.

Julia, Katfalls, Domenica and 6 others like this.