1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Tales

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Oct 23, 2017.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I love this time of year when the days darken and our thoughts turn in a very particular way to the dear Holy Souls.

I heard two stories of the Holy Souls this past week which caught my particular attention.

First my brother told me my sister in law saw a, 'ghost', a lady walk past her bed in the middle of the night as clear as day. This lady is very,very down to earth and is not the least inclined to imagine things .

She is a Protestant for which I feel a little sorry, it is had to for them to put these things in their proper context and to see it is a soul in Purgatory in need of prayer. So if you ever hear a story like this understand that the soul is not appearing for them it is appearing for YOU. YOU MUST PRAY FOR THEM.

For if you do not pray for them who will?

sterph, Denise P, AED and 2 others like this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

My second tale concerns a very good friend who has recently moved into the most beautiful and historic old fold , 'Clifton House'

Clifton House is an 18th-century Grade A listed building located in Belfast, Northern Ireland.[1] Originally built as a poor house by the Belfast Charitable Institution. Today it is houses a heritage centre alongside a residential home and sheltered accommodation apartments.[1]

Background
    The Belfast Charitable Society was founded in August 1752, with the aim of setting up a poorhouse and a charitable hospital infirmary. The Society was financed by subscriptions collected from leading inhabitants of the then town of Belfast, and a nationwide lottery. After over 20 years, land was donated by Arthur Chichester, the first Marquess of Donegall to the north of the town, and a plan was drawn up by Mr Cooley for a combined 36 person poorhouse and 24 bed infirmary, estimated at £3,000 to construct. In the centre of the final approved design were large assembly rooms. The foundation stone was laid on 7 August 1771, with the building opening on 17 September 1774.[2]

History
    Quickly becoming full and continually operating at full capacity, the Society agreed in March 1800 to permit Dr William Haliday to try the first trials of inoculation and vaccination in Ireland. Subject to the condition of approval of their parents, poorhouse children were given vaccinations to protect them against diseases. The funds generated allowed the building to be extended, adding a lunatic ward.[2] Doctor William Drennan, although never one of the Poor House's physicians, was a strong supporter of the Belfast Charitable Society, and gave sound medical advice, especially on the advantages of public inoculation against small pox to the Board. Drennan lodged in the house of Henry Joy McCracken and Mary Ann McCracken who had strong links to the Society. Edward Bunting (1773–1843), an Irish musician and folk music collector, asked the Committee to support him in organising a festival, the proceeds of which were donated to the Charitable Society.

A small sub-group of the Society's committee went to England to establish high-value trades which the poor should be trained in, and having studied the Lancashire cotton trade, came back to Belfast with the plan of training all inmates in the skills of the same industry. Hence training was set up on weaving, spinning, knitting, and net-making.[2] The result was the foundation of Belfast's cotton industry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    AED and gracia like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

Visiting and walking around the inside of the building is like travelling in some wonderful time machine. Americans I think would place it as being in their own early colonial period. It has housed generations of the cities poorest of the poor who lived and died there and...not to cut a long story short it appears full to the brim with their ghosts. :):) The building is as quiet as a tomb itself , very ,very silent indeed in fact. But my friend has an appartment in the basement but began to hear strange noises like footsteps going across the tiles. One evening a coupe of weeks ago he noticed his frodge moving forward a few inches on its own.:eek:

Anyway he was approached by one of the residents a daily mass goer and very religious guy I know called Lian and asked if he had ever noticed anything strange going on? Apparently , Liam says all the numerous residents notice spooky events all the time. It does not scare or bother them they just consider it part of the furniture and hardly even comment on them anymore.

Prayers for these poor restless souls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gracia, Patty, Carol55 and 2 others like this.
  4. Don_D

Don_D Powers

I love your telling of these stories padraig. This time is a good reminder that there many souls who need our prayers. It was not until I read some of your posts regarding such that I understood what these poor souls are really after. Of course I think some rare encounters may be a bit more nefarious in nature but I doubt they are as common.

When I was a Protestant the only thing I ever heard spoken about such things was that they were Demonic and to have ones home blessed by the Pastor. If the Pastor's blessing didn't solve the issue then get a Catholic Priest! I don't know why people don't cut out the middle man. :)

I know if I lived in such a place I'd probably be going through some Holy water and Blessed Salt.

gracia and Patty like this.
  5. padraig

padraig New Member

I think sometimes, Don it is a bit like one of those old horror films. Like the one were the young man goes and knocks on the door of Dracula's Castle and Count Dracula answers the door with a shocking grin and says,

'Enter freely!'

The poor sap enters freely while the whole picture house is on their feet screaming , 'No no get out of there!! Run!! Run! Run!!':):):)

Well the reason why the poor young guy does not figure the Count is a vampire is he has never even heard of vampires and would not know one if it sat on his head.

On the other hand if the young guy had been born in Translyvannia he would have gone like a runner in the Olympics. :D:D

I think an openess to the supernatural, the mystical , the preaternatural comes with the territory of being a Catholic. At least it should do. If you don;t for instance believe in the devil you won't see him coming til he hits you on the nose. The same for evil itself . People have read for instance about the Concentration Camps, yet I find most people around me do not really believe in evil.

For myself if I go into a red light district in a bog city I can feel evil all around me at once. In a similiar way if I go into a Catholic Church I feel the Real Presence right away. I have heard of numerous people being converted simply be entering a Catholic Church.

But if you do not believe how will you ever see, hear or smell the out of the ordinary right away
    ?. It is like being blind, deaf and dumb.

Fr Malachi Martin tells a nice story of when he was a young priest in New York . An older priest warned him if driving through a certain area in the Bronx always to carry holy water . Fr Malachi sniggers, but later when driving through this area an invisible hand grabbed the driving wheel. He crashed and was lucky he was not killed.

gracia, Don_D and AED like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

You know in a funny kinda spooky way it is the same for Satanists. Real Satanists , not the lets pretend kind. What would be the good of Worshipping Satan if you did not believe in him? Real Satanists believe in Satan as they believe in God and this opens doors for them. For instance we know that many Satanists can tell the difference between an unconsecrated and a consecrated host.

gracia, Don_D and AED like this.
  7. Don_D

Don_D Powers

What an incredibly moving testimony. Our Lady is truly truly miraculous.

gracia likes this.
  8. padraig

padraig New Member

Zack was a REAL Satanist.

9. Don_D

Don_D Powers

I love Sacramentals. I carry Holy water and my blessed rosary with me every day. I agree with you and I don't understand why anyone would deny the presence of the super natural. Most especially Catholics. I have felt the presence of evil. Also, a different type of spirit in nature. Less of a nefarious feeling or hatred as with evil but I always feel very wary when I have experienced it. Maybe primal and uncaring would be a good way to describe it.

When you speak of the Real Presence when in a Catholic Church how would you describe this? As a profound sense of Peace? I have only felt this in the Church. Never in any other Church I have ever been in and it is far and away the most deep and profound sense of Peace I have ever experienced. I become lost in it at times especially in prayer. I love to go to daily Mass and pray the Rosary there because of this. In fact so profound that I would venture to say I had never experienced real peace until I began coming to Church regularly and just spending time there with Our Lord. This Peace is with me now always. Not like when I am at Church with Our Lord but I have certainly noticed it. Not all Churches have affected me in this way sadly. The first Parish we went to it was there but not nearly as intensely.

When the Our Lady of Fatima traveling shrine came to our Church I was so excited to have the opportunity to pray with it there. I came in, began praying and was so completely overwhelmed with a sense of sorrow that I cried for what felt like an eternity. The tears it seemed would not stop flowing and I could not shake this sorrow. I have never been affected this way except for this experience and I am not typically an overly emotional person.

The world continues to embrace paganism and a lack of belief in God then all the sudden once a year we see this incredible upsurge in the celebration of the demonic. Yet, these same people will say that God does not exist. It seems that many people are blinded and ignorant to their own beliefs. Under a spell it seems.

gracia and sterph like this.
  10. Katfalls

Katfalls Archangels

Don have you ever gotten a blessed scapular? If you don't wear it around yor neck you can always just carry it on you. It is a very powerful sacramental. I am so happy that you found the Catholic Church, it is so full of blessings. Tonight I make my temporary promises as a Carmelite Third Order, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. It has been a lifetime journey! Praise be to Jesus now and forever.

Booklady, Sam, gracia and 2 others like this.
  11. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Hi Katfalls, yes I have some brown scapulars from the Fatima shrine visit but I have not sought the blessing yet because I am in RCIA. I should just ask our Priest if we can have them blessed. We have had a couple miraculous medals blessed and my wife and daughter wear them. I need to get a couple more.

Thank you, I am very grateful to have been led to the Church.

What an incredible honor to be called to the Carmelite Order Katfalls. Congratulations and I hope that you have a wonderful evening. I am sure it will be one you never forget.

gracia likes this.
  12. padraig

padraig New Member

As the years roll onwards, Don I understand that the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Mystical Life, Christ's greatest gift to us. People travel the world to great Shrines but bypass the greatest shrine of all , the Tabernacle. I remember I was in Jerusalem and I was speaking to the Carmelite Prior of the Hostel there and he asked me what I thought of the Holy Land. I replied that it was wonderful to see the place where Jesus walked but that since we had Jesus Himself present in the Eucharist where ever we were the Holy Land could not compare to receiving the Eucharist. He was a bit shocked and annoyed at this. But still it is the truth. The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Mystical Life, nothing comes close, nothing at all. If people only know you would never get into a Church for the crowds. But Jesus choose to come in the form of a little bit of bread and a drop of wine so little like the smallest baby that people cannot see Him for their own pride.

But this is no accident for only the littlest of little ones can see the Little one within.

[​IMG]

Booklady, AED and gracia like this.
  13. AED

AED Powers

Beautifully said.

Booklady likes this.
  14. Fatima

Fatima Powers

MUCH WISDOM PADRAIG. It is a mystery to me how so so so very few Catholic's, especially priests and nuns, are not seen in the front of the Blessed Sacrament in prayer in the ordinary hours of the day. They are seen at all the social justice and immigration events front and center, yet the church remains hollow with Catholics for all but 1 hour out of the 168 hours in the week. A few will come at adoration (1 or 2) for an hour, but not our priests! This is a great mystery to me. Who would not take time our of our busy day to make visits to our Eucharistic Lord, yet we will find time for every other activity and form of entertainment. "Where your heart is, there is your treasure". There you have it, our Lord's own words.

gracia, Booklady and AED like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

I think looking back on our own lives and what led us to take this particular path may give an insight into how others have taken a wrong turning.

In my own case my parents were very,very devout Catholics. Ardent Traditionalists and so were not swayed by modern fads. My early education was very sound before things turned bad.

My Spiritual Director was an Exorcist and very traditional himself.

If you look at people who took the wrong path, I would say for the priests and Bishops it would be a bad seminary training first of all. Accompanying that a very bad false , 'Catholic culture', bad books, bad media, bad education , bad company and so on.

But central to this was the death of the mystical /spiritual . As you point out and as St Alphonsus Ligouri and the Catholic Cathechism points out,

'He who prays will be saved, he who does not pray will most certainly be damned'

[​IMG]

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p4s1c3a2.htm

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    gracia and sterph like this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

When I enter a Church with the Blessed Sacrament it is like entering a fire or Light, it is like coming home, there is a warmth , an embrace. I often think of goodness or holiness as a warmth and evil as a cold.

But there are other things in the Church besides the Divine Eucharistic Presense . For instance Mary is always, always present were her Son is, she is never far from Jesus particularly at the mass, where she stands at the altar. Catholics have always recognised this by have an altar to Mary in all their Churches.

The Church is always filled with angels especially at the mass. The Church once recognised this in the Liturgy with St Michael the Arcangel being mentioned no less than nine times in the Latin Liturgy.

The Churches are the last place , the highest place in Purgatory for the Holy Souls a kind of staging place were they get rounded off praying before they get to go to heaven. I have seen crowds of them almost like a queue before the altar of St Joseph and watched them getting taken up into heaven with hands upraised.

The Church is like a little heavenly city really. I once heard a talk from Scott Hahn describing this beautifully. There are so many things going on in our Churches. It is so sad to see people talking or showing no respect; if they only knew.

AED, sterph and gracia like this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

I will tell you another thing about mass which no one ever talks about and that is the present of demons. Demons do not like going into mass for it is a source of great agony and suffering for them but they do not leave Churches deserted to the , 'Enemy' , they do go in , most especially in those they own. Not only do they enter they communicate with each other and have interesting things to say.

I saw this one time when an evil priest said mass. The demons cavorted around him delighted. As though boastful, as though it were like Calvary over again as though they held the Eucharistic Lord prisoner.

18. AED

AED Powers

I am sure this is true though I haven't seen it.

19. padraig

padraig New Member

I was walking Divis Mountain with the dogs yesterday evening with the dogs. Darkness was falling and their was a heavy mist so it was rather like walking in white candy floss.:) I love these times walking alone in wold places. The allow a time to concentrate on God and on God alone, to meditate. I used to do this by spending hours in front of the Blessed Sacrament but I find walking the best now. It is always good to be open in the Spiritual Life to change and a big change in my life was leaving the monastery and changing from praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament to praying walking.

My heart always prays. It has been like that for I suppose 33 years now since I was 29. It is as natural as breathing The prayer without ceasing. But my mind wanders and wanders. St Teresa of Avila compares the mind like this to a swarm of little bees that wander away all over the place. She says we must shoo them back to God. I think another good way of looking at them is as being a herd of sheep which we as Good Shepherds must shoo back to the Fields of Gold, the Fields of God to graze where it will do the most good.

One insightful thing about this is that you get to see and study what your mind is up to and to reflect on what you think of. I am endlessly disgusted on what really, really stupid things I think of and waste my time on, most of them are not even interesting or useful . I think a lot of the stupid things my mind wonders to are because I can put stupid things into my head by watching stupid thing on utube and on my computer. You get out of your head what you put into it. If I only put Godly things in there, only Godly things come. But I like the Freedom of the Children of God, there is a time to relax and take it easy too. The tree that does not bend , breaks.:)

[​IMG]

20. padraig

padraig New Member

http://catholicexchange.com/distracted-prayer

Are You Distracted During Prayer?
    Fr. Joseph M. Esper
    [​IMG]
    For all men who were ignorant of God were foolish by nature; and they were unable from the good things that are seen to know Him who exists, nor did they recognize the Craftsman while paying heed to His works . . . For as they live among His works they keep searching, and they trust in what they see, because the things that are seen are beautiful. Wisdom 13:1, 7

St. Bernard was traveling with a poor, uneducated farmer, who boasted, “I’m never distracted when I pray.” Bernard objected, “I don’t believe it. Now let me make a bargain with you. If you can say the Our Father without one distraction, I’ll give you this mule I’m riding. But if you don’t succeed, you must come with me and be a monk.” The farmer agreed and began praying aloud confidently, “Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name . . .” Then, after pausing for a moment, he asked St. Bernard, “Does that include the saddle and the bridle, too?”

St. Francis of Assisi, whenever he was about to enter church for Mass or to pray, would say, “Worldly and frivolous thoughts, stay here at the door until I return.” Then he would go inside and pray with complete devotion.

Sometimes distractions are caused by an insufficient dedication to prayer. Bl. Clare of Rimini was leading a carefree life in which religion wasn’t something to take too seriously. At age thirty four, she entered church one day, only to hear a rather blunt message from Heaven: “Clare, try to say one Our Father and one Hail Mary to the glory of God, without thinking of other things.” Chastened by this rebuke, she took her religious duties more seriously.

“These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”(Isa. 29:13) For this reason, the Franciscan priest Bl. Thomas of Cori insisted that the Divine Office be recited slowly and reverently, for as he said, “If the heart does not pray, the tongue works in vain.”

Jesus taught His disciples the importance of praying sincerely; indeed, He offered the Our Father as a model of such prayer (Matt. 6:9-13). When someone asked Bl. Jordan of Saxony the best form of prayer, he said, “The way in which you can pray most fervently.”

St. Edmund tells us, “It is better to say one Our Father fervently and devoutly than a thousand with no devotion and full of distraction.” In fact, St. Thomas Aquinas warns us, “Purposely to allow one’s mind to wander in prayer is sinful and hinders the prayer from having fruit.” If instead we try our best to remain focused on our prayer, we will not only please God, but also make great spiritual progress. According to St. Louis de Montfort, “He who fights even the smallest distractions faithfully when he says even the very smallest prayer, will also be faithful in great things.”

To achieve this, we should begin by following the simple advice of St. Teresa of Avila: “Never address your words to God while you are thinking of something else.” God is worthy of our full attention. It’s admirable to pray as we work or while we drive or do other things — as long as we make the Lord’s presence central.

There are times when the source of our distraction is another person — someone in church whose restlessness or activity makes it hard for us to pray. St. Thérèse of Lisieux wrote of such an experience in her autobiography, The Story of a Soul: “For a long time I had to kneel during meditation near a Sister who could not stop fidgeting. I kept quiet, bathed in perspiration often enough, while my prayer was nothing more than the prayer of suffering! In the end I tried to find some way of bearing it peacefully and joyfully, at least in my inmost heart.”

[​IMG]
    This article is from Saintly Solutions. Click to order.

As St. Thérèse of Lisieux stated, “I have many distractions, but as soon as I am aware of them, I pray for those people, the thought of whom is diverting my attention. In this way, they reap the benefit of my distractions.” Talking to Him in a very loving and comfortable way, just as we would with any other friend or loved one, can be a helpful means of overcoming distractions.

For Further Reflection
    “To set about hunting down distractions would be to fall into their trap, when all that is necessary is to turn back to our heart: for a distraction reveals to us what we are attached to, and this humble awareness before the Lord should awaken our preferential love for Him and lead us resolutely to offer Him our heart to be purified. Therein lies the battle, the choice of which master to serve.” — Catechism of the Catholic Church, par. 2729

“It is indeed essential for a man to take up the struggle against his thoughts if the veils woven from his thoughts and covering up his intellect are to be removed, thus enabling him to turn his gaze without difficulty toward God and to avoid following the will of his wandering thoughts.” — St. Ammonas the Hermit

“The Devil is never busier trying to distract us than when he sees us praying and asking God for grace. And why? Because the enemy sees that at no other time do we gain so many treasures of heavenly goods as when we pray.” — St. Alphonsus Liguor

Something You Might Try
    ·St. Teresa of Avila suggests that, at the beginning of prayer, we close our eyes “in order to open wider the eyes of the soul,” thereby lessening the chance of distractions.

·Some valuable advice on praying comes from St. Paul of the Cross: “When you want to pray, it doesn’t matter if you can’t meditate. Make little acts of love to God, but gently, without forcing yourself.” St. Paul also says, “Concerning distractions and temptations that occur during holy prayer, you don’t need to be the least bit disturbed. Withdraw completely into the upper part of your spirit to relate to God in spirit and truth..”

Further Reading
    Ecclesiastes 11:4-5; Matthew 6:6-8.

God, help my thoughts!
    They stray from me,
    setting off on the wildest journeys.
    When I am at prayer, they run off
    like naughty children, making trouble.
    When I read the Bible, they fly to a distant
    place, filled with seductions.
    My thoughts can cross an ocean with a single leap;
    they can fly from earth to Heaven, and
    back again, in a single second.
    They come to me for a fleeing moment,
    and then away they flee.
    No chains, no locks can hold them back;
    no threats of punishment can restrain them,
    no hiss of a lash can frighten them.
    They slip from my grasp like tails of eels;
    they swoop hither and thither like swallows in flight.
    Dear, chaste Christ, who can see into every
    heart, and read every mind: take hold of my thoughts.
    Bring my thoughts back to me, and clasp me to Yourself. Amen.

fallen saint, Sam, sterph and 2 others like this.