1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Trust and confidence in God

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by Mark Dohle, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Principalities

Trust and confidence in God

If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater
    than our hearts, and he knows everything: 1 John 3:20

Confidence in God is a choice that isn't always easy to make, yet it is imperative to make the choice. It is only then that our true journey towards God can begin. Awareness of the Divine Presence and discernment of God's will are foundational in the spiritual life. Through these principles found in the Christian classic “Abandonment to Divine Providence”, we will explore the key elements of our pilgrimage.​

+++++​

People will often not appreciate that confidence and trust in God is a choice. It is not something that we will automatically grow into. Granted, there are some people who find trust and confidence in God less difficult, yet in life, and in our own failures, we can be tested to continue to trust in God’s love for us. Confidence is not an emotion, but a rock bottom attitude that is deeply rooted in the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

There is much in life that will test us, for each person is on a journey, a pilgrimage that will take us through many deep valleys as well as the occasional mountain-top, and through it all we are called to have confidence in God…..which is not always easy, that is why ‘choice’ is so important.

When I was a young monk, still in my 20’s, I was going through a deep interior struggle and felt alienated from God, then I came upon this quote in 1 John 3:30:

If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater
    than our hearts, and he knows everything.​

I believe that quote was the seed that allowed my journey towards confidence in God to begin. Confidence in God takes us away from neurotic introspection towards true self-knowledge that allows us to grow in child-like trust in God’s love and mercy towards all.

People will often underestimate how difficult developing confidence can be. It takes faith and courage to abandon oneself to God when in pain, in the midst of inner struggle and darkness. In all of this, we are in God’s hands.

Fatima, Elisa, PotatoSack and 4 others like this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

Beautiful

I think one of my favourite quotes in all of scripture is from Romans,

'For those who love God, all things work together unto good'.

ALL THINGS

Even our sins and traffic police. Even dog wardens.

3. Mario

Mario Powers

Thank you, Mark!

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

Mark Dohle and josephite like this.
  4. Heidi

Heidi Archangels

Thank you for this post. Trusting God is something I have struggled with for a long time. Over the last month, I have come across several articles/books/posts on this topic, and I know it is not a coincidence.

Mark Dohle likes this.
  5. Mark Dohle

I guess it is part of the journey for all of us.

Peace
    Mark

Heidi likes this.
  6. Mark Dohle

I agree my friend. I often think on those very words.

Peace
    Mark

7. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

Another GoodOne for "These Days"!

HeartLight Daily Verse - 11 January

Psalms 118:5-6
    In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

Thoughts on today's verse:
    The beginning of the year has been a trying time for people I care about. Maybe it's been that way for you or those you love. My prayer for you, and for them, is that they may know the comfort of God's presence. Whether it's the popular little poem "Footprints" or the familiar "Yea though I walk through the shadow of death, thou art with me," the presence of the Lord is absolutely vital to standing up against our anguish! The Lord does long to be with us, especially at those moments when we feel most alone. He told us that by experiencing it himself at the cross.
    Prayer:
    I am thankful, O God, that you refused to be God from a safe distance. Because you came and felt what it was like to be abandoned, forsaken, and alone, I know I can trust that I will never be forsaken by you. Please give me a clearer sense of your presence with me in my life today, I pray through Jesus. Amen.
    Visit heartlight.org for more

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

Mark Dohle likes this.
  8. Fatima

Fatima Powers

This trust is at the heart of the faith. It seems apparent from our Lord to St Faustina's in the Divine Mercy image with the words he directed her to put underneath the picture, "Jesus I Trust in You".

To me this means total abandonment from self will to Divine Will. It is a detachment from self confidence to confidence in God's plan for us. This seems to me to be the largest hinder for those not furthering their journey of faith. Most will not totally surrender self will.

Once one realizes that God' s plan for us is perfect, we can suffer and praise God in every moment of life and not second guess why. Why things happen. It is enough to know all is under the wisdom and mercy of God. I believe this is why St. Padre Pio said; "pray, trust and don't worry".

Mark Dohle and Heidi like this.