Totalitarian Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by garabandal, Dec 14, 2018.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Children are not so much educated but indoctrinated --

DesertStar7, AED and Sam like this.
  2. Roger Buck

Roger Buck Angels

I have to say despite all the tragic and true things above, I remain incredibly blessed to be living here. While I imagine living in Dublin could be a real trial for the faithful, I find rural Ireland incredibly special.

Have lived amidst 9 different peoples in my life - Americans, English, Scottish, Welsh, Germans, Swiss, French, Spanish and Irish - but have never found the human kindness and even now real piety that I still find here.

Sam, AED, Mario and 1 other person like this.
  3. padraig

padraig Powers

The priest was saying they started the Latin Mass in the Parish three years ago on Tuesday nights and often there were more people on the altar than in the pews.

Last night as he pointed out the Church was half full of mostly young people. We open our own Traditional Church on Wednesday. I expect it to be packed.

There are always signs of hope. Is the glass half full of half empty? I would say there are huge signs of a new Springtime on the way. It's just maybe we have to look for the New Growth a little harder.

Roger Buck, Muzhik and AED like this.
  4. Sanctus

Sanctus "Jesus I trust in you!"

This girls seems to have a particularly zealous spirit of the world nature about her not even present among many of the worst politicians and bureaucrats.

5. jackzokay

jackzokay Powers

Fatima, i read with great interest your posts with respect to Christina Gallagher..

About 9 or 10 years ago i read of her. I remember at the time thinking about a pilgrimage to Lourdes or Fatima, and i remember also thinking that i had best go see the potential prophet or seer or visionary in my own country before venturing to far off places..

We live in the very North West of Ireland, so the trek to Achil was about a 6 hour drive. Funny, it was this very time of year too, that we went.... It was dark a lot.

We arrived Friday, it was dark.
    We went to the service at the house of prayer on the Saturday morning. Fr McGinnity facilitated it. It was packed. There were buses with plates from all over the country, Limerick, Dublin, Galway, Monaghan, Leitrim, etc.
    Christina wasn't there. Fr. McGinnity said that Christina was merely the messenger, and as such, didn't have to be there.
    He recited a rosary and gave a very passionate homily. I was a lil annoyed because my then 2 year old cried and i didn't get to stay for the entirety of the rosary. I had to take him outside. I also wanted to meet Christina; maybe out of curiosity, maybe to try to get 'a read' on her. Probably both actually...
    We stayed for tay (tea) afterwards.. No one asked us for money or anything. It was a nice experience. It really was.
    We had a cottage hired, and stayed the weekend. We took-in the stunning views around the cliff edges of the island (in daylight) . There was a storm; the wild Atlantic waves crashed on the rocks as we drove roads that hugged the waters-edge. We took photographs. We visited the 'silent village', walking thru it with 3 children in tow. It was abandoned during the famine. It was eerie. As i say, this place is very, very remote.
    Several years later, we stayed in Westport - just off a few miles off the island, again with the kids, but this time we also had my parents with us. They wanted to visit Achill after hearing stories from us of its wild, rugged beauty. 'Luckily' there was another storm and my mum and dad got to see the great waves as well as to walk thru the silent village.

Anyways, on the Sunday morning i visited 'the house' - again. Alone, no kids. There were no crowds this time. Just a few scattered people, praying quietly to themselves.
    I asked a fella about Christina, i was just curious really. He was guarded and declined to speak of her. Probably thought i was a reporter... Absolutely would not entertain discussion. I tried to tell him i was genuine, and that i had come a long way. No matter... He would not engage in discussion.

Anyways, it was a lovely family weekend. No one tried to extort us. We enjoyed it. I have no real opinion one way or the other on Christina. I couldn't find anything to promote or to criticise.

The one thing i would say is that Achill island is one of the most beautiful places in Ireland, perched as it is on the very edge of Europe. If 'the house' is genuine, then Our Lady surely chose carefully, for she is in one of the most beautiful locations on earth.. .

6. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Guest

I Googled for photos. Beautiful indeed. :)

jackzokay likes this.
  7. Sanctus

The new hate speech law that the government is trying to introduce is something we should keep an eye on.

Roger Buck and Indy like this.
  8. DesertStar7

DesertStar7 Guest

I won't be reluctant to chime in.

YOU are the NATIVES of that island.

That's my bit of Native American blood (mother's great-grandmother) speaking.

If Native Americans had every right to fight for their lands and maintain their identity (they did, and as a mostly White person I get ever-ongoing reminders) - then so do the Native Irish.

Now I'll go back to minding troubles on this side of the pond.

Sanctus and AED like this.
  9. Sanctus

The hundredth anniversary of our War of Independence will be commemorated here next year. Ministers here are referring to it as a "complex" and "sensitive" area and are appearing to be very careful to ensure that certain groups wouldn't been "offended" by its commemoration.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. Sanctus

Not sure about other countries, but an Irish Youtube blogger made a very good observation. Classic novels, writings, plays etc, and other areas of cultural heritage are no longer being celebrated and studied by students in universities but are now often being deconstructed and the focus is on showing where there are examples of gender bias or gender stereotyping in these works. Sad that it has actually come to this.

11. Indy

Indy Praying

Roger Buck and Sanctus like this.