1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Today's gospel

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by garabandal, Sep 4, 2016.

1. garabandal

garabandal Powers

"In the same way, anyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple.”

It struck me in today's gospel that our Blessed Lord was not necessarily referring to physical possessions in the quote above.

For example, since childhood my life has on occasions been hindered by a dark 'fear and anxiety' something that is outside of my control. I suppose you might call it an inner wound so when serious stresses come as they invariably do I go back into that default position and it seems all comes crashing down and the stress can be overwhelming. It is actually a very disorienting feeling but the fear is real.

So in a sense I have to come to a position of giving up this 'possession' by surrendering the fear and anxiety to God. I cannot hold onto this as my own but renounce it and hand it over to God. That will require complete surrender of mind, heart and will.

There are I am sure many other examples. One might enjoy lustful thoughts but that is a vice that we cannot afford to possess and need to renounce since we are not to covet our neighbour's wife. Or anger, resentment and so on. We cannot hold onto these possessions or they might end up destroying us.

There are I am sure other examples of things we hold onto that we need to surrender to the Lord.

PotatoSack, MMarie and Jeanne like this.
  2. MMarie

MMarie Guest

Yes, I think you are onto something...our cherished habits of thought are not always helpful in our journey to Christ. In consecrating ourselves to Our Lady, we do so in a way that none of our 'goods,' physical or interior are to be kept from her; over time she gently asks for us to hand over our mistaken ideologies to her. The sacrament of reconciliation is often what she requires of us in this process of renewing our minds in Christ.

Jeanne, Mario and garabandal like this.
  3. Mario

Mario Powers

garabandal,

Might this 'fear and anxiety" by any chance be tied to a particular memory? A couple of times in my life, I have been healed of wounds from the past by what some describe as a healing of memories. One was a simple process of placing the painful memory before me in my mind, forgiving those who caused me hurt, and then handing the hurtful memory over to Jesus. The second occurrence happened just a few years ago. I was sharing a painful memory with a classmate in an empathetic listening session; the Holy Spirit came in and uprooted the hurt, allowing me to forgive the person involved in the memory and not "take it back". The basic idea is to consciously entrust the memory to another in the context of prayer. To a degree, one has to be trained in empathetic listening skills for the second method to work, but I just want to give hope where possible.:) I will keep you in prayer.:love:

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

Jeanne likes this.