1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Things to think about (ASAP)

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by BrianK, Oct 15, 2016.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I think the deeper in the forest the better, also someone has promised me the use of a private forest.

Shae likes this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

But I think it is no good planning too much , I will be waiting on Our Lady to tap my shoulder. But I like the idea of deep forest.

Shae likes this.
  3. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

I just discovered a couple old and forgotten grocery store gift cards worth $150.

Pragmatic question of the day: what specific items not necessarily already on your weekly grocery list would you spend it on considering the recent (seemingly) prophecy related headlines?

Shae likes this.
  4. Harper

Harper Guest

Melatonin (for sleep). Metamucil (fiber!) Dry shampoo (better than nothing).

Shae and BrianK like this.
  5. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Mary's child, AED, Shae and 3 others like this.
  6. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

Especially since this just happened...

MAJOR X-CLASS SOLAR FLARE: On Sept. 6th at 1202 UT, sunspot AR2673 unleashed a major X9.3-class solar flare--the strongest solar flare in more than a decade. X-rays and UV radiation from the blast ionized the top of Earth's atmosphere, causing a strong shortwave radio blackout over Europe, Africa and the Atlantic Ocean: blackout map.

[​IMG]
    Above: The extreme UV flash from today's X9-class flare. Credit: Solar Dynamics Observatory

The explosion also produced a CME, shown here in a movie from NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft. (The fast moving star-like object in the STEREO-A movie is the planet Mercury.) NOAA analysts are still modeling the trajectory of the CME to determine whether or not it is Earth-directed.

Many readers are asking about the historic context of this event. How epic is it? Answer: This is a decade-class flare. A list of the most powerful solar flaresrecorded since 1976 ranks today's flare at #14, tied with a similar explosion in 1990. Compared to the iconic Carrington Event of 1859, or even the more recent Halloween storms of 2003, this event is relatively mild. Modern power grids, telecommunications, and other sun sensitive technologies should weather the storm with little difficulty.

On the other hand, sky watchers could see some fantastic auroras before the week is over. And ham radio operators will surely be noticing strange propagation effects as the sun exerts its influence on our planet's ionosphere.Stay tuned for updates.

Mary's child, Shae and BrianK like this.
  7. Carol55

Carol55 Powers

This appears to be a pretty comprehensive list that various MOG members have developed, thank you.

The only thing that I was thinking of lately, is that if something major was to happen what household items and clothing do I think that I and my family would need in the next few months, maybe 6-12 months out. For instance, I just ordered some towels because I have been procrastinating on doing this. We may not have water for showering for awhile but if we do survive and the water is restored then I will need this in the future. In addition, I may not be able to purchase them for a long time for a multitude of reasons.

I may also purchase some extra underwear today. That is the only thing that I can really think of besides what is stated here already, IOW, anything that you have been putting off getting that you still feel is somewhat essential for living because I think that we cannot expect to be able to order anything from Amazon or run down to Target possibly for a long while or maybe never again.

Thinking about Mac's idea of obtaining fishing gear and we do have this already, I wonder about obtaining traps. This may be a good option for those who do not want to hunt for their food with firearms. In addition, ammunition for firearms may become difficult to replace.

Also, sewing notions are important to have to maintain the clothing that we do have.

We have a generator but I don't think that we will be able to get fuel for it if something very serious happens even if our electric and electronic devices were still useable.

We have a pretty large inflatable raft that fits 4 adults, I would prefer a row boat or kayak. We also have several bicycles, a basket for a bicycle would be useful.

I am going to make a list today of the items that everyone has posted and review it with my husband. We really need to go through it all and check that we have everything that we think we have. In addition, I think that you should have some cash on hand in case we can buy items. I have been thinking that I should store some in "ziplock" bags and maybe store other things which are not really water proof in "ziplock" bags like your bible or other books. Maybe even store your dry foods in waterproof containers. I live near the water so there is a real potential for water damage but if your shelter is damaged somehow in the future, there is always the potential that rain could damage your supplies.

PS - Maybe, sunscreen and bug spray. (I just heard that someone in Italy died of Malaria, it is possible that all of these pestilences; Bird Flu, West Nile Virus, etc.; will be running rampant.).

And TP, lots and lots of Toilet Paper (store in a water proof container).

8. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Yep everyday items like TP are a must. Also, something to consider with all this Nork nonsense is that if there were a war to break out or even not we very well may see a trade war break out with China over it. So, if there are things you rely on such as batteries, lighters, anything linen etc that are manufactured in Asia it would be a good idea to have a supply on hand to carry one through for the short term.

I don't buy into the bunker mentality anymore but I used to. That said, there is nothing wrong with having a supply of items that are invaluable so long as prudence is involved. I can't think of a single person here who would put their trust in worldly things over Our Lord.

Shae likes this.
  9. Don_D

Don_D Powers

For anyone with a generator fuel is always a concern. You can add a product called Stabil to stored gasoline that will keep it potent for two years if you double the amount of it. I believe it recommends using 1oz per 2.5 gallons. Also, there are propane kits that can be retrofitted to generators so for those with large tanks of propane at their homes this would also be an option as long as you have an outdoor fitting plumbed in. Many do that they use for their grills at least in the suburbs.

So many older people these days rely on having power available for medical device reasons it is a good idea to have a way to provide it in an emergency for those around you.

Communities will come together.

10. padraig

padraig New Member

Sigh .

I still get kinda flashes of fear thinking about such things. I guess it proves I'm human.:D:D

Mind you given some of the prayers and homilies at mass recently even if I was not studying on things they would scare me.:D

What would scare me more than anything is the people in work are paying attention. That scares me more then anything. :D I was sure they were all zombies.

I have had wonderful spiritual reassurance from my dear angel guardians recently I have flet their presence on numerous occasions. :):)

Prayers for these poor people in the path of these storms. Jesus and Mary and my dear freind St Joe will just have to help me out if things turn bad.

Oh dear God grant me a generous heart to help others , it is just no good relying on myself, I am practically useless.
    A little charity for others is all will carry me through.

Don_D, AED and djmoforegon like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

For what its worth , I still advise Irma is going to take off on a radically new course up the East Coast and hit New York ..and in fact current predictions show she is turning northwards and picking up in force.. towards the Carolinas

BrianK and little me like this.
  12. Mary's child

Mary's child Archangels

As I work in an operating room I have been led to stocking up on medical supplies that may be needed for any injured that may come to my door. Dressings, casting materials, ointments, etc.

Denise P, padraig, Fatima and 3 others like this.
  13. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Where I would have a major problem at least in my mind is in the medication dept. I use specialty immune suppressant medications which have to be delivered in a cooler and kept at a constant temp. There is no way for me to have extra on hand unfortunately.

If and when I have not had these meds in the past I have been completely bedridden and unable to walk due to pain and inflammation. Even holding a coffee cup is excruciating if you can believe that.

So, there is not a chance that I could ever conceive of "making it on my own" so to speak. But, together with others I think that people would fare just fine. So long as they understand exactly who it is that is taking care of all of us! :)

One thing I know that I overlook is getting to know our neighbors. In times of crisis and need knowing that someone down the street has medical experience or has an abundance of laying chickens and hopefully eggs can make a huge difference. Or in the case of all the flooding a boat. We are called to be a light so this should come naturally to us but I know in my case that it does not. I have to force myself to get out of my comfort zone and get to know others and to let them in turn get to know me. :)

I love what you said about the zombies padraig. :)

14. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

I bought a bunch of these for myself and as gifts. If you get on their e-mail list they are always having sales.
    I've got a Bad Feeling, however, that waiting for Sales on Prepper Goods is probably not a good idea.:(

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

BrianK, Mary's child and djmoforegon like this.
  15. Fatima

Fatima Powers

I thought I had prepared well, but recently I bought something that at the time I didn't know if I could get it to work. I was at a flee-market and found an old treadle sewing machine in a real nice cabinet that I got for $70. It is made by Wheeler Wilson in 1889. I found another sewing machine (no cabinet) the same make and model on E-bay, which I bought as well. Spent a half day taking it all apart and putting the best parts of both to make it run really smooth. These machines work really well, but the hard part is finding the sewing needles that go with it. I have about a dozen is all. Anyway, I don't know anything about the actual sewing, but I can fix things. I figure the one thing for certain is no one will be in the same size clothing and without electricity, hardly anyone will have the means to sew. So my wife is decent at sewing so this may be a bartering item or just a way to help a neighbor, God willing.

Don_D, HeavenlyHosts and BrianK like this.
  16. Fatima

Fatima Powers

I bought several of these solar/LED lights as well. They are really nice and put off allot of light. Well worth the costs.

I've tried to anticipate everything I will need without electricity or gas. Gardening tools, wood/tree cutting saw's, strike anywhere matches and lots of propane for my torch, LED and oil lanterns, hand pump for well water, lots of toilet paper and pottie buckets, open pollinated seeds for gardening, among many other contingencies. It's coming sooner than we may think and there is little time to get these things in order.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Don_D likes this.
  17. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

I'm sure that treadle sewing machines are still in production somewhere. It's been 40+ years but I remember seeing ladies using these style machines in the markets of the Philippines/Thailand and doing just as well as if they were electric powered.:) Hand powered tools may be a very good investment ... "These Days"!!!

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

18. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

Harbor Freight is phasing out their 45 watt solar panel system and replacing it with a 100 watt system. I've always wanted to experiment with solar so I picked up the new 100 watt system on a great introductory sale price. I have two 12v pumps that hook up to hoses that I can now use to transfer water if needed.

Don_D and djmoforegon like this.
  19. Harper

Harper Guest

Lehman's Hardware Store of Dalton, Ohio, was established in the 1950s to meet the needs of the local Amish community. It is now one of the largest online merchants of "off the grid" merchandise, including sewing machines. There's an "About Us" page on the website that tells their story. The extensive catalog can be found here: https://www.lehmans.com/

BrianK and Fatima like this.
  20. Fatima

Fatima Powers

This is allot like my cabinet and how it works is the same. I will check into whether this machine will work with my cabinet, as it is a much nicer machine.