1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Things to think about (ASAP)

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by BrianK, Oct 15, 2016.

1. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

Things to think about (ASAP) and acquire the knowledge how to use:

1. Drinking (clean) water and water for sanitation - sustainable long term, without electricity. Filter straws (Walmart), Big Berkey water filters. White bleach (Chlorox with no additives, 2 drops per quart, wait 45 minutes), water purification tablets or heating (160* to pasteurize, 212* to boil) to sanitize water. Ways to collect water from run off, downspouts. Pool water for sanitation.
    2. Shelter - shelter in or place to go to. (Think about it now.) X-large heavy grade trash/ contractor /leaf bags for wind/rain ponchos (make holes for heads and arms), emergency shelters
    3. Fire - for heat and cooking. More than one type preferable - twig/wood pellet stoves like the Solo stoves, MSP Core, cheap online versions of the Silverfire camp stove, Biolyte camp stoves or rocket stoves (Silverfire Survivor) for cooking. Use outdoors only or inside a fireplace. Coleman stoves and fuel. Propane stoves and grills. Alcohol camp/army surplus (Trangia spirit burner) stoves, "Fancy feast" type homemade alcohol stoves- use ethanol/denatured alcohol, methanol. Isopropyl (rubbing) burning stove from FlatCatGear.com.
    4. Food - including long term stored edible goods. Buckets of grains, rice and beans, salt (including blessed salt, course variety persists longer for this purpose), oil, hand grain mill, lots of zip lock bags, roll of fresh produce bags, baking soda for non-yeast breads
    5. Sanitation - soaps/detergents, baby wipes, alcohol, place to dispose of waste if utilities fail, female hygiene
    6. Security - family & self defense
    7. First aid - band aids, iodine, alcohol swabs, how to treat & close wounds, Isreali and gauze dressings/wraps/bandages, ace wraps
    8. Activities - to keep young ones occupied
    9. Light. The easiest, most simple back-up form of lighting in case utilities fail is oil lamps and candles. Kerosene for oil lamps is cheap and plentiful. Aladdin type oil lamps produce the equivalent of a 40 watt lightbulb and can be used for cooking as well as heating a small well ventilated room. Blessed candles should also be included, as well as LED flashlights and camp lights. Propane powered and Coleman fuel camp lights can be used in well ventilated places.
    10. Communications - check out this 2 way hand held radio, $26. With free open source downloadable software (CHIMP) and an optional UBS cord to attach to your computer it can be programmed to broadcast (ONLY in an emergency! License required.) 1W or 5w on Family Radio, MUIR, and GMRS channels, 2M and 70CM HAM radio repeaters and scan VHF and UHF channels including NOAA Weather & Emergency broadcast channels, local Emergency, fire, police and other common scanner frequencies. If you know anything about portable batteries used to jumpstart cars and small solar panels to charge them, you can keep this running (as well as small electronic devices) indefinitely.
    11. Homemade pedialyte powder to make a solution for fluid loss in case of severe diarrhea.
    WHO Oral Rehydration Solution
    Table Salt (NaCl) 1/2 tsp.*
    Salt Substitute (KCl) 1/2 tsp.*
    Baking Soda 1/2 tsp.
    Table Sugar 2 tablespoons
    Tap Water 1 Liter (= 1 Qt. 2 tablespoons)
    Have small children start with 1 teaspoon every 5 - 10 minutes, which is usually quite well tolerated. The amount can be increased every 30 - 60 minutes (2 teaspoons, 3 teaspoons, 2 tablespoon, etc. every 5 - 10 minutes).
    12. Toilet paper- for personal use and for barter

Feel free to add to this list.

gracia, Mary's child, AED and 6 others like this.
  2. little me

little me Archangels

Check, check, check. I like where your heads at Brian. Prepared a couple of years ago and don't regret it. If we don't need it, somebody will!

gracia, Mary's child, AED and 4 others like this.
  3. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

I got about three months food stored.Rice,Pasta etc

Im thinking about getting some extra Petrol, I know it doesnt keep forever but it can be rotated.
    Also lighting, I dont want to be sitting in the dark. We have a few battery powered lanterns with enough batteries to run for years.
    [​IMG]

For longer term needs Im also stocking up on cheap items like Seeds and Fishing gear.

gracia, Mary's child, AED and 5 others like this.
  4. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

Not too long ago, I added duct tape, rope, and some of those Mylar emergency blankets to my stash. You can never have enough duct tape!! And it can be used for a million different things. :D

I also stumbled across what I consider to be the most important and probably the most under utilized seed crop.... amaranth. This amazing plant is an annual, but grows and reseeds each year so well, that it is referred to as "weedy". The stalk, leaves and seeds are all edible. While amaranth is grain like, it is actually a super nutritious seed that reportedly made up 85% of the Mayan Indians diet. As an gardener, I wondered how I could grow enough food to sustain my family until I came across this plant. Some plants can reportedly produce up to 1 lb of seed per plant. Here is where I purchased mine:

http://www.rareseeds.com/search/?F_Keyword=Amaranth

If you purchase some, make sure that you get "grain" amaranth, because some types are primarily cultivated for their spinach like leaves.

Check out these nutrition facts. Impressive!

Facts
    Serving Size: 1 cup

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 114
    Calories 729

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 12.69g 20%
    Saturated Fat 3.241g 16%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 5.637g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2.794g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 41mg 2%
    Potassium 714mg
    Total Carbohydrate 129.03g 43%
    Dietary Fiber 18.1g 72%
    Sugars -
    Protein 28.18g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 14%
    Calcium 30% Iron 82%

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    gracia, Mary's child, Shae and 3 others like this.
  5. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

Parboiled rice will last indefinitely. Not regular rice, look for the words "parboiled" or "combined". It is boiled in such a way so as to make it last almost forever and keeps the nutrients.
    Uncooked beans will last indefinitely.
    They also make a ton of solar powered stuff now. Lanterns, etc. Not good for the three days of darkness I guess :)

Mary's child, AED, Shae and 2 others like this.
  6. Booklady

Booklady Archangels

A short wave radio.
    Matches and disposable lighters.

AED, Shae, Patty and 2 others like this.
  7. BrianK

Good points, thanks.

Shae likes this.
  8. MMM

MMM Principalities

#1 faith and trust in God's providnence.
    #2 2-3 months worth of beer.

AED, Shae, PotatoSack and 4 others like this.
  9. BrianK

# 1 goes without saying. In some cases, it can and must be substituted for all the rest.

(I've given up alcohol due to medications I have to take.)

Mary's child, Shae and Patty like this.
  10. Booklady

Booklady Archangels

Prescription medication may be hard to find for some time. Make sure you have enough on hand of the essential meds. Likewise meds for your pets.
    81mg aspirins are essential for many older adults, or anyone over 50. Vitamins will be scarce, particularly vitamin C. You won't know if you'll have access to a complete set of nutrients.
    Older adults may want to review their immunizations, how recent are they. Good idea to get boosters of most. The CDC has this pdf for all ages.
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf
    Particularly Td/Tdap Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis

11. padraig

padraig New Member

Matthew 24:37-39,
    "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be."

Shae likes this.
  12. Harper

Harper Guest

Spare set of eyeglasses!

Mary's child, AED, Shae and 5 others like this.
  13. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Now for the hard part. One, no one wants to speak of or think of, but it will be a reality all around us. People dying. Don't assume it will be only strangers dying. Yes, it will be neighbors, friends, relatives and perhaps even family members. The alleged messages in www.godspeakswillyoulisten.org, speak of "many spiritual babies" being taken home, lest they loose their soul through it all. This is not physical babies (even though this too will take place), but those who God knows do not have the capacity (deep rooted faith and strength) to survive. Assume funeral homes will not exist. This leaves us doing it the old fashioned way with a shovel. Do we have basic tools such as this? This is not a pleasant thought, but it will a large part of our reality. Be prepared to bury the dead.

gracia, Mary's child, AED and 5 others like this.
  14. davidtlig

davidtlig Powers

Here is a quote from the recently published book by Medjugorje visionary, Mirjana Soldo. As with the other visionaries, she has been told much of what is about to take place in the world:

So, when Our Lady told us that Medugorje would be the fulfillment of Fátima and that her heart would triumph, it was a message of hope, not gloom. She was reminding us that when we walk with her we have nothing to worry about. But even now, people often ask me how they should prepare for the time of the secrets. Should they stock their basements with food? Move to the countryside and live off the land? Buy a weapon to protect themselves? I tell them, “Yes, you should get a weapon, and you should use it often.” I show them my rosary. “This is the only weapon you’ll ever need. But it only works if you use it.” In one of her earliest messages, Our Lady told us, “Prayer and fasting can stop wars and change the laws of nature.” She was not speaking figuratively; prayer is more effective at creating change than anything we can do alone. The rosary is an especially powerful prayer. So, should you prepare for the future? Yes. Prepare by making sure your soul is always ready to stand in front of God - not by building bunkers and stockpiling supplies. No one can live in this world forever. We should focus on what comes next. I have experienced Paradise, and I can attest that there’s no place on Earth— no mountain range, tropical island or seventh wonder - that compares to what awaits those who choose light over darkness. "God gave you free will to choose life or death," Our Lady said on March 18, 2003 during my annual apparition. "My children, without God you can do nothing; do not forget this even for a moment."

http://myheartwilltriumph.com/story/

Mary's child, Shae, Patty and 3 others like this.
  15. Mario

Mario Powers

David,

That is a beautiful quote. God hides much from our eyes, especially the consequences of our intercessory prayer. I recall last Advent I completed a month long novena so that the son of one of my friends would return to Holy Mass. It didn't happen!:unsure: I was deeply disappointed and asked the Lord, "What's the use?" Not that I wanted Him to respond just as I had asked, but I was selfish in wanting to see some fruit from my diligence.:rolleyes: The fruit was my pride being rightly deflated!:LOL:

My point is that one day I will see how the prayers I placed in Mary's hands were used by Jesus for the sake of souls. And I will also see how my often feeble efforts were undergirded by the prayers of the saints both on earth and in heaven. Yes, prayer and fasting are so crucial. May we never grow slack!

Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 34 "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?" 35 "Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?" 36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory for ever. Amen.

Mary's child, Shae, Barb H and 2 others like this.
  16. Totus tuus

Totus tuus New Member

For light, SOLAR! I just bought some extra solar garden lights. They are bright enough and last for a couple of years. Portable, too

Mary's child, AED, Shae and 2 others like this.
  17. padraig

padraig New Member

Spiritual preparation does not negate physical preperation though spirtual preperation was primary.

A good example of a physical response of Christians to prophesy was the seige and destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans under Titus:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/issues/issue-28/ad-70-titus-destroys-jerusalem.html

The Christians had already fled Jeruslaem , partly as a result of persecution but partly I beleive through the prohesy of Christ regarding the Fall of Jerusalem by Jesus:

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1302-jesus-prophecy-and-the-destruction-of-the-temple

“And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. But he answered and said unto them, ‘You see all of these things, do you not? Truly I say unto you, there shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down’” (Matthew 24:1-2).

If a weather forecaster were to tell us that there would be rain tomorrow we would perhaps make physical preparations by carrying an umbrella. If we were to get a prophetic word we would firstly make spiritual preperations but why would we not wish to amke physical preparations as well, for we are men, not angels. Both spiritual as well physical beings.

I don't really see why the problem here? Is it being suggested that physical preparations are somehow wrong?

gracia, AED and Shae like this.
  18. BrianK

I only started this process at the beginning of October, and only for one reason: in deep prayer, I got the sense that I personally only had this month to pull all this together, that it was URGENT, and that if I waited it would be too late. That might be the case because of my own personal health issues, NOT the state of the world, I don't know. I also got the sense that these physical preparations weren't so much for me and my family but others who could not or never thought of such preparations. And compared to 2 decades ago, I'm completely at peace in this process. Yes, it feels urgent but no, there is NO panic or fear involved WHATSOEVER.

This list is just off the top of my head, but it's the result of 25 years of research and quiet simple cheap efforts. And prayer.

Oh, I forgot, homemade pedialyte powder is needed to make a solution for fluid loss in case of severe diarrhea. I saw this stuff work miracles with sick babies in Haiti:

http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm#recipe

• Six (6) level teaspoons of Sugar
    • Half (1/2) level teaspoon of Salt
    • One Litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled - 5 cupfuls (each cup about 200 ml.)
    I'm personally going to add 1/4 teaspoon "No Salt" potassium chloride salt substitute in place of 1/4 of the regular salt.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    AED, Shae, Patty and 1 other person like this.
  19. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

This is an amazing light source that is solar and uses no batteries. And cheap.
    Pardon if someone else posted these but they are wonderful indoor/outdoor solar lights. Both cheaper and stronger than most flashlights. I have one for every room.

https://www.thegrommet.com/mpowerd-luci-inflatable-solar-lantern

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

gracia, Shae, Totus tuus and 3 others like this.
  20. padraig

padraig New Member

I felt in prayer one time to buy a set of bolt cutters and a few padlocks. I plan to use them to get into government forests and parks, it won't be illegal as there won't be functioning Government anyway, then to replace their padlocks with my won behind me as I go into the forest.

It seems strange writing about such stuff, pray God it never happens but I did get this idea in prayer so I followed it.

gracia, Mary's child, Shae and 3 others like this.