The Unseen Realm

Discussion in 'Books, movies, links, websites.' started by Pray4peace, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

One of my neighbors has highly recommended the book The Unseen Realm by Michael Heiser. I see that it has a lot of good reviews on Amazon, but I can’t find anything about whether this book contradicts our Catholic teachings. Has anyone read it or heard anything about it?

HeavenlyHosts likes this.
  2. Dolours

Dolours Powers

I haven't read the book. Looking at his youtube channel, Dr. Heiser seems to be of the Baptist/Evangelical strand of Protestantism. He seems to be a huge hit with people in "independent" churches. There are a few videos on youtube of some talks he gave at a seminar about the supernatural during which he refers often to his Unseen Realm book. If his book is anything like his lectures, skipping to the last page might be a good idea because he takes forever to get to the point.

I watched one of his videos and nodded off to sleep watching another. I won't bother reading his book because he seems to think that while Yehwaw is the Trinitarian God, he wasn't (isn't?) the only god. He seems to base that belief on the fact that Eloim in the Old Testament is sometimes singular and sometimes plural and can mean the one God or other lesser gods. He also used the verse from Genesis "let us make man in our image" to support his belief in multiple Gods because, according to him, the Blessed Trinity, being one God, didn't need to have a conversation with each other. He seemed to be saying that Yehwaw was something like a chairman of the board of management in Heaven, making a proposal to all the other spiritual albeit lesser gods. (Drifting in and out of sleep, I might not have fully grasped the meaning he was trying to impart). He seems to be very much of the bible alone, be your own authority type. Catholic belief is that there is only one God, all the "gods" of the Gentiles being demons, that angels were the only other inhabitants of Heaven and that angels are created spiritual beings. Maybe Dr. Heiser also arrived at that conclusion but, if so, he didn't get around to saying so on the videos I watched.

I did watch one good video on his channel which, thankfully, was shorter than the seminar videos. That video was about the Canon of the New Testament, the Emperor Constantine and the Council of Nicea in the early 4th century. He debunked the claim that it was Constantine who decided which books were canonical. He listed some of the decisions of that Council, one of which was that Deaconesses were only permitted to be lay officers in the Church and were forbidden to teach men.

Before deciding whether to pay for his book, why don't you watch some of Dr. Heiser's videos. FringePop321 is the name of one of his youtube channels but he could have other channels there. I don't think that his seminar lectures are on that channel but you'll find them easily enough by doing a youtube search using the search terms "Seminar", "Unseen Realm" and "Michael Heiser". Sorry I don't have links but a few Protestant churches have uploaded his seminar talks to youtube so it won't be hard to find them.

djmoforegon, Sam, AED and 3 others like this.
  3. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

Thank you for looking into that, Dolours. I read various book reviews yesterday, but didn’t even think about watching YouTube videos. That was a good idea.

My neighbor had mentioned the author’s God and lesser gods theory. :confused: I reminded her that as Christians we believe in the one, Trinitarian God. She just kept raving about the book and how it cleared up so many questions she had about the Old Testament. I’ll steer clear of the book. I don’t need anything to muddle up my beliefs.

Xavier, djmoforegon, Sam and 3 others like this.
  4. AED

AED Powers

It's a sand trap a minute out there.

Xavier, Pray4peace and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  5. Mario

Mario Powers

Stay close to Our Lady; rest under her protective Mantle. Keep your heart focused on the Passion and the Love which drove Jesus to the Cross for your sake. Find a way to reach out and serve the people Our Father has placed in your life. Anchor your day in prayer and frequent Holy Mass. Confess your sins. The ageless piety of the Catholic Faith is all we need. Avoid novel speculation. The time is short!

Come Holy Spirit fill the hearts of the Faithful! Kindle in us only the fire of Your Love!

Isaiah 50: 10 Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the voice of his servant, who walks in darkness and has no light, yet trusts in the name of the LORD and relies upon his God?
    11 Behold, all you who kindle a fire, who set brands alight! Walk by the light of your fire, and by the brands which you have kindled! This shall you have from my hand: you shall lie down in torment.

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Xavier, Suzanne, AED and 3 others like this.
  6. Indy

Indy Praying

I guess that's the key for our times "Keep under Marys protective mantle" Tallies with a dream I had a few years ago where I was wrapped and protected in her blue mantle. It felt very safe. I am glad to be reminded of that peaceful dream.

Xavier, Suzanne, AED and 3 others like this.