The True Bible??

Discussion in 'Scriptural Thoughts' started by Andy3, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

What are all of your thoughts about bible versions. I have always wanted to have the one closest to the true original texts but in my discovery and research this is very hard to get. The original Douay Rheims translation from the Latin Vulgate of 385 AD is not very easy to get since most copies were banned in the 1600's. The version available now a days from Challoner in 1750 was more of a copy from the KJV bible to appease the wrath of owning the original Vulgate translation in England and Ireland. I had no idea how much different even these versions were. I had no idea for example how most bible's today have taken the name Christ or Jesus out of the Old Testament and replaced it with the word anointed or Messiah. I found this great site going over the history of all this and a new translation into English from the original Vulgate but in modern English text vs Old English text that is a bit hard to read. It shocks me that you cannot get this in a complete Bible and only in parts and not hard cover. The translator is Dr. Wiliam Von Peters and he has been doing this over last decade now. I find this so fascinating and wonder what your opinons on all this are. Below is an example of the differences of all the main bibles and how the name of Christ was removed even in the our most modern versions. Why change the name of Christ from the Septuagint and the Vulgate??

http://www.drbible.org/versionschart.htm
    Comparison of 9 Different Bibles
    on the Name of Christ
    in the Old Testament

http://www.drbible.org/

Thomas likes this.
  2. Thomas

Thomas Angels

Great conversation to start! I've wondered the same, so I'm curious as to what others have to say.

3. davidtlig

davidtlig Guest

Yes, a good thread to start!

My preference is definitely the 'Jerusalem Bible'. But note that this is not the same as the 'New Jerusalem Bible'. The latter is claimed to be an update of the 'Jerusalem Bible' but it differs in many important areas, in particular, in its use of inclusive language.

Mother Angelica loved the 'Jerusalem Bible'.

4. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

I own the Douay Rheims but it is the Challoner version. Now I have just ordered the new testament translation from Dr. von Peters which is more of a study bible. If I find it to my liking then I will begin to order his 3 OT translations but each of the 4 volumes run you about $50 a piece on lulu. This is much better than Amazon though. I saw on there just one hardcover of the NT was $150!! My search continues. Sadly for years I was reading the KJV study bible because I thought it to be the oldest and truest version. Boy was I wrong! I only started on the Douay Rheims version that I have for the past year. Now I felt inclined to search today for some reason because I have taken to only reading and digesting the Gospels at night before bed for this Lent. I want to have a closer understanding of scripture but felt pulled today to do more digging to fine the closest, most literal translations of Christ's actual words.

5. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

I was just looking into the history of this bible. I wonder why Pope Pius the XII would reccomend this over the translation of St. Jerome if St. Jerome's Latin Vulgate came from the original Hebrew and Greek any way? I guess I should read his encyclical letter about it to answer this question.

6. Very interesting! I wonder if Peter B. has any insight into this??? I don't have any at all, since this is WAY over my head and because I let other people do my lifting for me...lol

7. Fatima

Fatima Guest

Servant of God, Father John Hardon SJ, recommended the Jerusalem Catholic bible. I have the Douay Rheims only in the NT. The KJV of course was the first 'approved' protestant bible with 1000's of errors.

8. Ecclesiasticus 2

Ecclesiasticus 2 Principalities

I have had the Jerusalem Catholic bible for the past 43 years. The cover has been tearing away and has been mended several times. Thought I would purchase a new bible and use the old as a reference with all the notes that are hidden within the pages. I purchased a New American Catholic Bible and am having a hard time getting use to it. The pages are so thin that in turning the pages you have to be very gentle not to tear the page. Perhaps all bibles should be treated in this manner! At the present I still fall back to my Jerusalem when it comes to in depth study it is my security blanket and it has a special closeness. It is about the same feeling that I'm sure my young daughter had when we called her blanky a blanket. When asked what was the difference she said, " a blanket is what you sleep with, but a blanky is FULL OF LOVE ". Now she is a Sister in France!

RoryRory likes this.
  9. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

So I have been doing more research on this and I am just appalled with what I am finding. Since most modern bibles today stem from the translations from the Latin Vulgate in 386 AD there are some very strange findings that I am discovering. If we truly believe that there is power in the name of Jesus both spoken and written why has it been removed so many times from the original Latin Vulgate in not only the many many protestant bibles (which is obvious why that is) but also the many Catholic Bibles. Here is an example. Look at Mathew 5:1. Here is what the verse is in the original Latin Vulgate:

[1] Videns autem Jesus turbas, ascendit in montem, et cum sedisset, accesserunt ad eum discipuli ejus,

you can clearly see the name of Jesus in this verse capitalized and completely proper.

Here is the translation in the Douay-Rheims bible that is the more modern one that dates back to 1794 which is called the Haydock Douay-Rheims Bible. The original Douay-Rheims bible from the 1500's went missing because the church of England banned it until Haydock's translation came about which more closely resembled the KJV.

[1] And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain, and when he was set down, his disciples came unto him.

Here you clearly see that the name of Jesus has been changed to he which is not only not the written name of Jesus but not even a proper "He" and this is a Catholic Bible.

In the New Jerusalem bible it is written as such:

[1] Seeing the crowds, he went onto the mountain. And when he was seated his disciples came to him.

A little different but still not proper.

In the KJV it is written as such:

1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his diciples came unto him:

A little different but again Jesus's name has been removed. Why would even the Catholic bibles of today not have the proper translation and power of Jesus's name changed and removed? I have bought the closest translation of the new testament from the original Latin Vulgate and it has truly opened my eyes. It is a shame that it is hard to find this proper translation of the Latin Vulgate in modern English vs Old English of the original Douay Rheims translation in the 1500's. The alarming thing is that the name of Jesus has been removed 45 times from the New Testament alone from the original Latin Vulgate.

Here is a list of each time the name of Jesus was removed by Luther and in the KJV:

JESUS is taken out by Luther in his "Bible," in: Mt. 5:1; 8:26; 9:23; 16:15; 17:19; 20:17; 22:20; 26:18; Mk. 9:15; 16:1; 16:19; Lk. 4:38; 6:11; 14:1; 18:31; 20:3; 22:2; 24:36; Jn. 2:8; 4:1; Acts 5:41; 9:17; 9:20; 10:48; 16:7; 18:4; 18:25; 24:24; Rom. 8:34; 15:16; 16:9; I Cor. 4:17; II Cor. 2:14; Eph. 3:6; Phil. 3:9; Col. 1:7; 2:2; 4:12; II Thes. 2:8; Phile. 8; Heb. 4:14- 16; 9:24; Jude 5,24,25; Hab. 3:18.

and if you ever want to cross check these like I have to the original Latin Vulgate you can do it here but you will also notice that when you see the Latin under the translation of this Douay Rheims version you will also see the name of Jesus sometimes in the Douay Rheims but definitely removed in the KJV:

http://www.drbo.org/drl/chapter/47008.htm

like Mathew 8:26. Here is the Latin and English translation in the proper text but again changed in the KJV:

[26] And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.
    Et dicit eis Jesus: Quid timidi estis, modicae fidei? Tunc surgens imperavit ventis, et mari, et facta est tranquillitas magna.

KJV [Mat 8:26] And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

This is so eye opening and appaling to me. If you ever have any interest in researching more like I have, I urge you to visit this site:

http://www.realdouayrheims.com/

remember what our Lord said:

De. 12:32. "You shall not add to the word that I speak to you; neither shall you take away from it." De. 4:2. "Add not anything to his words..." Pr. 30:6. "If any man shall add to these things, God shall add upon him the plagues written in this book." Ap. 22:18.

10. Thomas

Thomas Angels

Thanks for doing the research on this, Andy. It is very enlightening and makes me a little sad. I use the Revised Standard Version (Catholic). I will have to check it against your findings above. I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

I suppose that following the warning, many of these translations of the Bible will get re-examined and some of them done away with. I can imagine people wanting the closest thing to what Jesus actually said and not some lame interpretation.

11. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

That is why I am wanting the oldest closest thing which is the Latin Vulgate. If I remembered any of my Latin I would just read it but it is quite rusty since I have not read it in 20 years now and even then I only had 4 years of Latin so was not very good at it. This current translation I have bought appears to be the closest and best translation to the original LV but again it is not widely in circulation at all. I only bought the new testament so far and it is quite amazing when I read it. It just feels right in my soul and I even feel a much greater understanding than I ever have before. Kudos to the man who did the research and put this bible out there. When you order it he prints it per order and then sends it out to you. So far I am through all of Mathew and 4 chapters into Mark. It was the only thing I read during Lent.

12. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

So what Bible do you suggest for us with no Latin. Anyone??

13. Andy3

Andy3 Powers

14. Fatima

Fatima Guest

The Jerusalem bible.

15. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

16. RoryRory

RoryRory Perseverance

Th
    Thanks

17. Andy3