1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord will win at the end

Discussion in 'Positive Critique' started by Jarg, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AED

AED Archangels

Thank you Jarg. What an amazing talk. Just what I needed to hear.

gracia likes this.
  2. Jarg

Jarg Archangels

A very good sign. Pray for Pope Francis, through the intercession of St Peter (and blessed Paul VI)...

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-new...-blessed-paul-vi-on-39th-anniversary-of-his-d

[​IMG]
    Pope Francis prays at the tomb of Blessed Paul VI beneath St. Peter’s Basilica Aug. 6. ( L’Osservatore Romano)

VATICAN | AUG. 7, 2017
    Pope Francis Prayed at Tomb of Blessed Paul VI on 39th Anniversary of His Death
    The Holy Father spent about half an hour in ‘recollection’ and prayer for his papal predecessor Aug. 6.
    Elise Harris/CNA/EWTN News
    VATICAN CITY — On Sunday morning, Pope Francis descended to the grotto beneath St. Peter’s Basilica, where many past popes are buried, to pray at the tomb of Blessed Paul VI.

According to a Vatican communiqué, the Pope spent about half an hour in “recollection” and prayer before the tomb Aug. 6, the 39th anniversary of the late pope’s death.

Best known for Humanae Vitae (The Regulation of Birth) and his role in the Second Vatican Council, Paul VI was beatified by Pope Francis in 2014.

Not only has Francis acknowledged the important contribution of Blessed Paul VI to the universal Church, he has also followed closely in the late pontiff’s steps, particularly in his travels abroad, going to several of the places where his predecessor was the first pope to ever step foot.

This year also marks the 50th anniversary of Blessed Paul VI’s encyclicals Populorum Progressio (The Development of Peoples) and Sacerdotalis Caelibatus (The Celibacy of the Priest). Populorum Progressio was a key point of reference in Pope Francis’ establishment this year of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development.

Paul VI was born Giovanni Montini in 1897 in the town of Concesio in the Lombardy region of Italy. Ordained a priest in 1920 and consecrated as a bishop in 1954, he was appointed to the College of Cardinals in 1958.

At the age of 66 he was elected Bishop of Rome and chose the name Paul VI, in reference to the missionary spirit of St. Paul the Apostle.

He re-convoked the Second Vatican Council, which had automatically closed with the death of his predecessor, Pope St. John XXIII, and improved ecumenical relations with the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

In a historic move in December 1965, Blessed Paul VI and Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople mutually lifted the excommunications that had been leveled against the leaders of both Churches in 1054.

Paul VI’s cause for canonization was opened in 1993. In December 2012, Benedict XVI recognized the heroic virtue of Paul VI, giving him the title of “Venerable.” In 2014, the Vatican approved a miracle attributed to his intercession, allowing for his beatification.

In his Oct. 19, 2014, homily for the beatification, Francis hailed Paul VI as “the great helmsman of the [Second Vatican] Council.”

He cited Blessed Paul VI’s words at the closing of Vatican II’s final session: “Perhaps the Lord has called me and preserved me for this service not because I am particularly fit for it, or so that I can govern and rescue the Church from her present difficulties, but so that I can suffer something for the Church, and in that way it will be clear that he, and no other, is her guide and Savior.”

“In this humility,” Pope Francis continued, “the grandeur of Blessed Paul VI shines forth: Before the advent of a secularized and hostile society, he could hold fast, with farsightedness and wisdom — and at times alone — to the helm of the Barque of Peter, while never losing his joy and his trust in the Lord.”

Carol55 likes this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

I wish they'd make him Pope. (Cardinal Chaput)

Now there's a thought that cheers maybe they will. :):) He is so positive and prayerful. A good way to be.

Yes, I hope they make someone like this Pope.

But I think God is going to pick a rabbit out of a hat for the next one. He is going to throw a ball from the left field , no one will predict what is coming.

Mary's child and AED like this.
  4. Dolours

Dolours Powers

Ohhhhhhh! If it were any other Pope I would see this as a sign that he is praying for the courage to defend the faith in the face of rampant secularism particularly within the Church. Now, I have a sinking feeling that he's about to use the "spirit of Vatican 11" to start undermining yet another Doctrine or trivialising another Sacrament of the Church. Will say an extra prayer for him today and ask St. John Paul especially to pray for the Church.

5. Jarg

Jarg Archangels

With the Lord and Our Mother, we can do it!

Catholics, go out and change Britain

We face a crisis of humanity. Christians need to act - through politics, the Church and everyday life

Catholics not only have a right to try to transform society, we have a divine mandate. We are constantly told, sometimes by clerics, that we should keep our opinions to ourselves – that we should erect a wall between our faith and our politics. But Jesus did not die quietly or behind closed doors. The Church did not spread his message through private coffee mornings. And the Christian commandment to love our fellow man does not stop at being charitable.

Telling people the truth is an act of love. Failing to do it is a sin of omission. So the question isn’t “Should we try to change our communities?” but “How should we go about it?” The answer is with fearless honesty.
    [...]
    Catholics have to speak out, to be heard. But how can we most effectively do it? Through mainstream politics? Yes, but it comes with caveats: do not compromise your principles and be prepared for disappointment.

I speak from personal experience. I began my political life as a member of the Left and for many years was an activist for the Labour Party. I eventually abandoned the party, in part because I concluded that there was a contradiction between its policies and my faith. That was a wall of separation I chose to erect between myself and mainstream politics – and it stayed standing until this year’s election. I not only voted Tory for the first time in my life but urged others to do so.

I now regret that decision. Not only because the Conservatives didn’t do nearly as well as I expected – they ran a campaign about as exciting as creosote – but also because I allowed myself to believe that one party could be the redemption of a nation.

I swallowed Theresa May’s rhetoric about Christian democracy, about creating a fairer society rooted in the values of community and faith. What did I get in return? The Government has announced a consultation on granting people the right to change their gender without a doctor’s agreement and, for those who identify as neither male nor female, to mark their birth certificate with an X. It’s not that this is a uniquely awful policy, or that there aren’t plenty of other reasons to dislike the Conservative Party, a party of big business and libertine instincts. But let’s just say that turning transgenderism from a medical issue to a lifestyle choice is the straw that broke this camel’s back.

If Catholics are to engage in politics, don’t become submerged within a party machine. I am sick and tired of being told – to my surprise – that this MP or that MP is Catholic. If I didn’t already know, then they aren’t a very good Catholic. They should run for office explicitly as a Catholic, root their politics in Catholicism, offer a Catholic analysis of our problems, explain their solutions with relation to Catholic dogma and, if there is an insurmountable contradiction between party policy and their Catholicism, resign. I am not calling for a more religious politics so much as I’m simply asking religious politicians to be a bit more religious than political.

So there is one way we can help: engage in politics without compromise. Another is to serve our Church without compromise. Our wonderful, glorious, immaculate Church – the Bride of Christ, the hope of mankind.

She is like the mother we take for granted (and every mother will tell you: “You take me for granted!”). Do we do enough for her? Enough is never enough. Do we go every Sunday? Do we confess our sins as regularly as possible? Do we pray? Do we venerate the precious sacraments? Do we really listen to what the Pope says? Are we doing enough to support our priests? And what are we doing to add to their flock?

If we want to transform our society, let us transform our Church – nurture it, help it to grow, bring it more souls. The way to do that is to live openly as a Catholic. Talk to people about it. Explain why you’re not eating meat on a Friday and what Christmas really means to you. Decorate your office space with pictures of saints. Tell people you’re going to pray for them: it will comfort the needy and irritate the blasphemous. Transform society by being openly, nakedly, a Christian to those around you, and not being frightened either by their curiosity or their hostility.

And, most of all, Catholics need to do something that has become counter-cultural in the 21st century: have as many babies as possible. Raise an army of Catholics. Send them out to fight.

That’s how we win: we throw ourselves into the battle with a courage that saves us and the people we encounter. It is a matter of living with integrity. To quote St Catherine of Siena: “If you are who you are meant to be, you will set the world on fire!”

Tim Stanley is a historian, Daily Telegraph columnist and contributing editor of the Catholic Herald. This is an edited version of a talk given at the Evangelium Conference 2017 (evangelium.co.uk)

This article first appeared in the August 18 2017 issue of the Catholic Herald. To read the magazine in full, from anywhere in the world, go here

Carol55, AED and Denise P like this.
  6. AED

AED Archangels

7. AED

AED Archangels

Now there is a battle cry. Wonderful. Thanks for posting Jarg. Truly inspiring.

8. lynnfiat

lynnfiat Fiat Voluntas Tua

Regarding England, Our Lord told Luisa on Oct. 16, 1918:
    " ...England, Russia, and every place where blood was shed, will rise again to faith and will be incorporated into my Church. There will be the great triumph and the union of peoples. Therefore, pray - and it takes patience, because this will not be so soon, but it will take time.”

"In the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph!

Mary's child, AED and Carol55 like this.