1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

The Latin Mass

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Aug 7, 2017.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I find myself more and more looking forward to my Sunday Latin Mass ( I think the right term would be Tridentine Mass) at four in the afternoon. It has become not only the spiritual centre of my Sunday but the entire week. I enjoy it so much I take about forty five minutes to stroll up there with the dogs and I suppose an hour an a half on the way back, strolling through two parks as I do so. I suppose in a sense that is what the Solemn Mass is all about taking time. I especially love the choir and try to join in the singing. I also have a better grasp of the Latin and can actually understand most of it now and follow the liturgy pretty closely. All big pluses.

I find this mass much more prayerful. The congregation too, incredibly don't talk either before or after mass which is pretty mind blowing. The priest too has much less room to stick his personality in. There is such depth to the liturgy. They tell us not such a crowd is going that we are to have it for good. It is true I see more and more people coming every week which is a surprise.

The big draw back is that I cannot understand the Epistle or Gospel in Latin. But I am going to buy a Latin Missal to fix that.

I don't suppose it would be right to call me a Traditionalist Catholic I just love the Liturgy.:)

[​IMG]

David Maddaford, BrianK, AED and 4 others like this.
  2. Don_D

Don_D Powers

I have yet to attend the Latin Mass at our Parish. Our Priest mentioned that we ought to attend a few weeks back and your post is a good reminder to put it on my calendar so that I can not forget.

Is a Latin Missal a way to follow along for the laity padraig?

3. padraig

padraig New Member

While I was walking up to mass yesterday the devil had a go at me . Out of the blue he said,

'So you are still believing in this myth, the fairy tale God nonsense, wasting your life away?'

This pulled me up short . But I thought about it and answered that if it was a myth, it was a myth that had made me the happiest person in the world. Whereas his, 'Truth', and 'Reality', had simply made me miserable. That I intended to die in this, 'Fairy tale'.

Which fairly shut him up. The worst thing you can do with the devil is to get involved in long complicated arguments which he will always win.

The devil if you ever identify his voice clearly had a gruff kind of violent accent. It would make you want to scratch yourself it is so charged with anger and hate. Sometimes I hear the demons chatter away amongst themselves. I hear them particularly just before mass. They talk about the people at mass and for instance how great an enemy certain people are and how much they hate them. However the person they hate most is the priest simply for saying the mass. It is surprising that the demons are present during mass but they are. They keep quiet during the service ((well at least I cannot hear them) but they are there. They don't like it, being there , but there they are. I guess being present is part of their job description.

People think because they can't see or hear them that the demons are not about, but they are always, always ,always about. They never give up. Not for a moment.

What a pity we live such busy, busy, busy lives and so are deaf, blind and dumb to spiritual realities. to see beyond the curtain.

4. padraig

padraig New Member

I have not had a Latin Missal since childhood , Don so can hardly recall. However they do have little booklets entitled, 'The Extraordinary Rite of the Mass', which we all read. However there are certain parts of the mass like the Graduale that change with the Liturgical year and I would like to follow this.

But the Epistle and Gospel for the Latin are not the same ones for Ordinary mass. I take it I can get a Missal with the Latin translated alongside the English.

Such a thing may not be cheap, but since I am going to this mass every week now, it would be well worth it.

I must see.

5. padraig

padraig New Member

AED likes this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

7. Teljam

Teljam New Member

Here's the one I have - this store is in New Zealand. LINKY

8. padraig

padraig New Member

Does it do the readings in English?Do most missals do the readings in English?

9. Teljam

Teljam New Member

It's all Latin and English. Makes following the mass easy and more interesting too. Also has a lot of the main prayers and a lot of other useful info - e.g. Full examination of conscience, full liturgical calendar, commentary for parts of the mass, etc. I think it's the premium companion to have if you go to traditional mass.

sunburst likes this.
  10. Teljam

Teljam New Member

Actually looking at the photo above, I'm pretty sure it's that one. It's got 5 coloured page markers like that and the pages are gold leaf Coated. I've had mine for a few years and it still looks pretty new.

11. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

The missal used by the extra-ordinary form community in Singapore is the St. Edmund Campion Missal & Hymnal.
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/Campion/
    It is in Latin and English, with beautiful full colour photos.

Carol55, padraig and AED like this.
  12. sunburst

sunburst Archangels

My granddaughter and I learned the Latin St. Michael prayer with this prayer video. It is very good!!! I would say that learning a few Latin prayers is like riding a bike,...once you practice and learn it, you don't forget. I spent a whole year practicing the different Latin prayers like the Ave Maria, Pater Noster, Salve Regina ect. and now can recite the entire rosary in Latin. :whistle: I never thought it possible but it is. God never makes it easy, but the reward is great.
    I love the Latin Mass and I think it is the perfect sacrifice offered to God! Most missals today have the English translation on the opposite side of the Latin pages.

13. padraig

padraig New Member

The exorcists say the devil hates Latin. It would not surprise me if this is so. I am learning Spanish on a site called Memrise at the moment. I think I will try to learn a little Latin there too. It is free so why not?:)
    :)

https://www.memrise.com/courses/english/?q=latin

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    sunburst, Carol55 and SgCatholic like this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes this is the one.

SgCatholic likes this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

sunburst likes this.
  16. padraig

padraig New Member

sunburst likes this.
  17. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

For years, I used to have a sign in my waiting room and patient exam rooms that said,

"Wanted: old unused Latin-English Mass missals"

Patients brought in dozens, from the turn of the century up through the hybrid 1964/1965 missal to the Novus Ordo liturgy. At the time I was active on a couple Traditional Catholic forums, so I offered to send them to anyone who asked, free of charge. I sent out almost a hundred of these old Latin-English missals over the years, free of charge, to people all over the US, Canada, England, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. At the time I could mail 4th class/book rate and even sending them overseas was remarkably reasonable. All I asked was for the recipient to pray for the repose of the soul who originally owned the book, as their name was usually written just inside the cover.

Mario, HeavenlyHosts, Tanker and 2 others like this.
  18. padraig

padraig New Member

What a kind act, Brian. I love old things. I think an object , like a pair of rosary beads that has been well used is most especially blessed

19. sunburst

sunburst Archangels

Here are some good points by MV

padraig and Don_D like this.
  20. Tanker

Tanker Principalities

My daughter and I have gone to a Latin low Mass. I want to go to the Mater Misericordiae Mission in Phoenix for the Latin High Sunday Mass. The mission is run by the FSSP priests. I have friends that go there and they speak so highly of it and how beautiful it is. They have been surprised at how many young people with children go there and the church is full every Sunday. They gave me an article to read and it was very informative about the difference between the Tridentine and the NO and how it came about.

After reading the article, and skimming my Missal I realized how much has been removed from the NO Mass. The prayers are so beautiful in the Latin Mass....very uplifting and gives great glory to God. The NO seems very Protestant-ized in comparison. Eye opening for me as someone who just started looking into this.

Here's the article:

https://www.olrl.org/new_mass/evils.shtml

Also, this little booklet is often used in Latin Masses around here. It is a small version I believe and just has the Mass in it. It is relatively inexpensive as it is a paperback.

https://www.amazon.com/Latin-English-Booklet-Missal-Praying-Traditional/dp/B001V3QYUU

21. padraig

padraig New Member

I noticed first of all how young the priests are , I think only one of them is over 30, a big surprise. Here too so many young people and young family groups. Again a surprise.

Its true the liturgy is far, far richer. Also people talk far, far less in fact they only get talking outside the Church which is just fine.

I have struggled to make sense of everything which was just fine, it meant I had to pay more attention. Far, far more prayerful and contemplative. Truly Catholic.

22. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

That's the booklet we use in our parish. Since we've been doing it for one Sunday mass every weekend for ten years now they've printed out all the various Mass prospers (from a site like this http://maternalheart.org/propers.html ) and put them in file cabinets of copies of every Sunday and Holy Day of the year, and they insert that week's Latin-English Propers and Readings supplement in each of these red missals every Sunday. Everyone can follow along with that week's English translation.

Tanker likes this.