1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

The Car Dealer

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by padraig, Dec 25, 2017.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I headed off to buy a car last week, trading in my very , very old one in part exchange.

Somehow I had the notion that all car dealers are crooks and I have never bought from one before, always going private. I considered car dealers like horse traders of old, crooks.

But lo and behold the gentleman turned out to be just bout the most honest straight talking men I have met. Almost uncomfortably so. I admitted to him I had put him in a box and he seemed puzzled and hurt that I should have classed car dealers in such a light. He said to me,

'I believe what you do on others comes back to haunt you'.

A kind of karma. It showed me yet gain not to be putting people in boxes. I find myself doing this all the time and have to fight against it. Jesus never seemed to do this , which is why I suppose they accused him of eating and drinking with all kinds of people. :)

Booklady, Mary's child, AED and 2 others like this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

Anyway here is the new car I am like a child waiting for a new toy waiting for it to be ready to take away.

[​IMG]

Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD Pacific Coast Highway Hatchback 5dr

Indy, Mary's child, AED and 5 others like this.
  3. Praetorian

Praetorian Powers

My parents bought a car from a car dealership back quite a while ago and the last name of the salesman was Swindler. Ha ha! 100% true. You couldn't make that up :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:.
    Apparently he was a pretty straight up guy.

davidtlig, Mary's child, AED and 4 others like this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

Anyway, about Detachment.##

I am so excited and happy about my new toy. Men love toys, especially cars so much.

Where is God in this?

Well I remember some thing my father used to say to me in the years before he died, he used to say,

' Padraig what are you looking forward to now?'

So I guess very much its the Christmas present the car.

To love God, to forsake the world

But I guess God does not mind if we dance with the world a little:):):);)

Booklady, Mary's child and AED like this.
  5. Muzhik

Muzhik Archangels

My Grandfather owned the local Chevrolet/Buick dealership in town. It was his example (as told to me by my sainted mother) that marks how I deal in business.

My Grandpa struggled through the Great Depression, making most of his money from repairs and stuff. Finally, starting in 1939, he started actually being comfortable in his business, being able to sell cars to people who finally had money. Then came WW2. In February of 1942 all production of civilian vehicles stopped as the auto industry retooled to make jeeps, etc. Grandpa went back to making repairs, with the problem exacerbated by the fact that there were no new parts for cars being made. PLUS, essentials such as petrol (gasoline) and new tires were suddenly rationed and available only to those who absolutely needed them.

Well, the car dealership across the street (cough ford cough) were a pair of brothers who saw opportunity. In modern parlance, they "networked". If you needed some newer tires or a few extra ration coupons, they became known my the small town as the people who could get them for you. Grandpa knew the same people that these brothers knew, but wouldn't have anything to do with them. His family may have suffered, but he was a man of honor.

Finally, the war ended, and civilian production of vehicles resumed and were available after Oct. 3 1945. The brothers rubbed their hands together and looked forward to reaping the rewards of all their networking. And rewarded they were. By the end of 1946, their dealership had gone out of business. What's more, the dealership exchanged hands two more times before enough time had passed before people trusted the brand enough to buy them again. Grandpa's business thrived because everyone knew that no matter what happened, you could always count on Ray Horton to give you a good deal.

Mary's child, CrewDog and AED like this.
  6. Muzhik

Muzhik Archangels

Nice car, Padraig! Don't forget: your purchase helped in some small way to pay the wages of some worker. If you feel you have adopted a luxury, then you have the opportunity to practice denial and "fasting" in some other area.

7. Don_D

Don_D Powers

That's a sharp looking car padraig, it looks really well put together. Great color and the wheels look really good on it. I too love toys. Is it a diesel? Here in the US we have such restrictive laws regarding diesels that the manufacturers will not offer many of these models. Many American car guys really lust after these diesel models that we are unable to have.

This is something I have thought about over the years too because it is easy to make toys a kind of idol if we are not careful. I am a truck guy so the big American brand pickups have always appealed to me but over the years they have become increasingly outlandish. This has made it easier on me not to envy or lust after them so much because they just seem a bit absurd now days. It helps too that the price of them has become outrageous.
    Unlike you, I have yet to meet an honest car salesman. I will remember your story though when I am looking for a car for my daughter. I think I will probably buy private party but you never know. :)

8. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes, Don, they are starting into Diesals here too.

I was taught from childhood to distrust car salesmen.

There you go.

The first one I met was more honest than myself. What does that say about me?:D:D

I think God has a very,very good sense of humour.;)

Mary's child, AED and Mario like this.
  9. padraig

padraig New Member

America
    , I love so much,

There is something about the can do attitude We don't have this in Europe.

Such an air of freedom.

I do dearly, dearly love America.

But I would say latterly with Americans on the forum what I particularly admire and which throws me back to the American founders..such a huge freedom of self critciism and thought.

I love this.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  10. padraig

padraig New Member

Because America found its Freedom we in Ireland and all over the world have excited the possibility of our own Freedoms

which... since I in prison myself, as my father and my brothers were and my grand uncles were I am so fond off..

Mary's child, Don_D and AED like this.
  11. Frank Markus

Frank Markus New Member

Congratulations Padraig, a lovely and eye-opening story and nice looking Cruiser. I had similar experiences, judging people upfront only to learn a lesson of being more open-minded.

By the way, this forum has given me much needed consolation, insight and strength since I started reading. Thanks to all here.

12. AED

AED Powers

God bless you Frank. I think many of us could have written that exact same post.

Praetorian, Mary's child and Don_D like this.
  13. padraig

padraig New Member

It is great to get positive input Frank. Now and again I meet people here in Ireland who read the forum and this is very,very nice. The internet is great but you can't beat face to face. Actually one of my brothers is a great fan so I get good feed back from him. But a brother is a brother.

People say the internet is impersonal but I have found here on the forum that you can found real bonds of friendship and Catholic fellowship. I have read reports of real spiritual conversion which is wonderful.

Pope St John Paul 2 was a big supporter of the net for Evangelisation and I can see now why.

Anything good here I put down to Our Lady's hands for it was her idea in the first place and I feel her presence here constantly. It gives me a spooky feeling sometime to consider that she reads all our posts, but I believe she does and does not need a computer to do so.:):):)

Just imagine , 'Our Lady of the Internet'. :)

[​IMG]

josephite, Rose, Praetorian and 4 others like this.
  14. Don_D

Don_D Powers

Thank you for the documentary. The story of Ireland is one which I think many around the world feel a great kinship and regard for the sacrifices made in the noble pursuit and defense of freedom.

Mary's child likes this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

Yes, but I am afraid some people like myself forgot that it is love of God first and love of country second.

I love what G K Chesterton wrote that when we abolish God , Government becomes our God. We see this so clearly at the moment in country after country. People turning their Government into some kind of Messiah. So sad.

[​IMG]

Praetorian and AED like this.
  16. Don_D

Don_D Powers

A bit of a personal question padraig? Were you named after any of them? I won't take offense if you want to keep that personal. Not that it matters in any way how I take it. :)

17. Muzhik

Muzhik Archangels

FWIW, St. Isidore of Seville is the official Catholic patron of the Internet. http://catholicism.org/patron-saint-for-the-internet-isidore-of-seville.html

AED likes this.
  18. Frank Markus

Frank Markus New Member

Hello Padraig, thank you for your lovely thoughts on 'Our Lady of the Internet', that title should be added to the Litany of Loreto! ;)

Hello Muzhik, I didn't know that the internet had a Patron Saint. I am amazed to see from the link you provided that apparently his feast day is 4 April which happens to be my baptism day. I really think a Patron Saint for the internet is needed these days.

By the way - does anyone know if there is a Patron Saint for temperance?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  19. padraig

padraig New Member

AED likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Praying

Great color to keep the daemons away. You will be really surrounded by the blue mantle now. All the best with the new car Padraig, God Bless.

Mary's child likes this.