1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Talking to God.

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by padraig, Dec 4, 2017.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I was praying there working and a funny thing happened. I felt God saying to me that He loved me and I answered , without thinking , 'You don't love me nearly as much as I love you!' As soon as I said it I knew it was such a stupid thing to say I burst out laughing and apologised. :D:D:D I am nearly sure I heard God laughing in the background.

[​IMG]

2. padraig

padraig New Member

I was thinking this last few days about how speaks to us in our hearts and how we hear what He is saying. I don't mean as any of the saints have done in apparitions but in the ordinary push and shove of everyday spiritual life. For instance as sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament, when we ask Him for advice or help and so on.

I believe the late Father Laurentin said and interesting thing about this in Marian apparitions. he said at the start of Marian Apparitions there is often a breeze, a slight breeze to mark the coming of the Holy Spirit and this coming pressages the coming of Our Blessed Lady.

The same Holy Spirit is the one who dwells in our Hearts , the gentlest of Gods and it is He who enables us to pray.

Romans 8:15
    Heirs with Christ
    …14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery that returns you to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.…

This is the gentle voice we hear in our hearts. The enabler of Holy Voices and all we see in the Spiritual realm.

So gentle voice
    so light a breeze we often think we imagine we hear Him. But we need ot reach out to catch the gentle dove with the firm hands of Faith.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

God does not off course have to reply in words but in the Graces He gives.

I was in a bit of trouble about three months ago, I went for a drink with a friend and when I came home I brought the dogs for a walk. Upon my return I forgot to bring one of the dogs in the hallway. I went to be and was fast asleep when there was a great commotion. My upstairs neighbours had come home with their Cocker Spaniel and of course my bitch attacked and there was a fight. There was no harm done and they said the dog had suffered no harm. But they were in a rage and called in the dog wardens.

They wanted a statement from me and I became alarmed. A few days later I became more alarmed still when they began to claim that the dog had attacked not their dog but themselves. I relaised at one I faced a very large legal bill and my dogs been put to sleep. That in all probability they wanted to get a large claim from me.

But as the days and weeks went by I began to understand my prayers had been answered. Not in the way I expected but in a Spirit of deep peace and acceptance. If the dogs were to die, fine. If I was to go to court fine. If I had to pay a large amount of money for something that never happened fine.

What I had actually been praying to God for was to fix things in the way I wanted. Not the way God wanted . But He gave me the grace to accept things however they worked out.

On top of that somehow the whole matter simply disappeared. I have not heard from the Dog Wardens or my angry neighbours about this for several months and it is safe to assume I never will. But the greatest grace was not this , the greatest grace was peace and acceptance.

God spoke to me in answer. But not in words, but in all that happened.

[​IMG]

4. Light

Light Angels

Padraig

Awesome stuff!

I read somewhere that if you daily surrender to the will of God be accomplished in you, irrespective of how you would like to have that done, is the greatest prayer of surrender.

God Bless

5. padraig

padraig New Member

It is pure grace , God picking you up in His arms and carrying you.

The most wonderful story I ever heard about this acceptance was told me by a saintly old Passionist priest , long gone to heaven many moons ago.

An Irish mother was walking from mass in her fishing village when she was met by the local Garda (police Sergeant) who told her that her only son was lost at sea, dead and that he was, 'Sorry for her troubles'.

She replied at once and without hesitation,

'Ah sir, sure the Will of God is no trouble!!'

Now that's acceptance of God's Will. :):)

Job 2:10

He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Shae and gracia like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

7. Mmary

Mmary New Member

I was recently bemoaning, in prayer, all of the faults I had, and "heard" Our Lord quietly say, "You have lots of opportunities to please me, then." I had to smile. I was testing out a sacrifice bead bracelet..:)

8. padraig

padraig New Member

I think God has a good sense of humour, I am sure His Mother was Irish.:);)

[​IMG]

AED and Shae like this.
  9. Shae

Shae Principalities

That's awesome Padraig!:LOL:

Booklady, padraig and Rose like this.
  10. padraig

padraig New Member

One of the most wonderful Spontaneous prayers I ever read was that of St Therese of Liseaux (the Little Flower) which she recounts in her book, ' The Story of a Soul'.

She was addressing Our Blessed Lady and said to her that if she (Therese) were Queen of Heaven and Our Lady were just a young nun in Carmel that she come down from heaven in order to give Mary her throne.

Think about that one for a few minutes. It is a truly beautiful thing to have said. A huge compliment to Our Blessed Mother and a deep tribute to the saint's Marian Devotion.

Shae, Booklady and gracia like this.
  11. padraig

padraig New Member

[​IMG]

Booklady, Shae, gracia and 2 others like this.
  12. Fatima

Fatima Powers

Thanks Padraig for your posts on this thread. I have a long ways to go in the contemplative prayer life, but I am gaining ground. How I know this, is from the fruits from the Holy Spirit, especially the interior peace and joy that I have in the midst of concerning family issues, church issues, government issues and world issues. The key to all of this to me is abandonment or detachment from the things of this world and surrendering my will to his. This was not an easy thing for me, because by nature I would control things to a good, bad or indifferent end. I am at such peace having surrendered my will to his. Things I used to worry about have dwindled by giving it all over to God.

My favorite version of It Is Well with My Soul

Shae and gracia like this.
  13. padraig

padraig New Member

I think in prayer we should be a little like rubber bands. As the prayer journey goes the rubber band should be getting stronger and stronger and pulling us closer and closer to God as time goes on. So if our thoughts wander and we day dream the day dreams should be more and more about the things of God and not be wasted on nonsense. A bit like tuning into the right TV Channel in our minds and Channel is the God Channel. This is not a forced thing but done out of love. If we are in love we will only want to think of that which we love. God.

A good extreme exam[le of this is in the lives of the saints concerning the death process/ We know that people go through different stages in the Death Process. From denial to peaceful acceptance. In the case of the person of prayer we would expect a leapfrogging of these stages right through to peaceful acceptance right away and this does indeed seem to be the case. So much so indeed that some saints know the very hour of death and its manner long before it happens and are quite at home with this. Remarkable

There is a lovely story about the young Jesuit saint St John Berchmans who was playing billiards in his recreation and was asked what he would do if he knew he was to die shortly? St John answered that he would continue with the ball game as this was God's will.

How many of us could face death like this?

Shae likes this.
  14. padraig

padraig New Member

..and he did indeed die very, very young..

[​IMG]

15. Shae

Shae Principalities

I feel much the same way Fatima. I have really noticed a change in myself, where I used to worry sick about certain things, now I surrender them to God's will. Such a simple act that brings such peace to my soul.

Fatima likes this.
  16. Shae

Shae Principalities

Not exactly on this topic, but my Priest today shared with my Rosary making group, an experience he had during the consecration at Mass yesterday. He went into somewhat of a trance and our Deacon who was assisting him, had to draw his attention back to the prayers that he was supposed to be praying. It was a bit difficult for Father to come back, he told us he wanted another minute. I have seen this happen to him on numerous occasions, but I didn't realize that's what was happening until he shared it with us today.

josephite, Fatima and padraig like this.
  17. Pray4peace

Pray4peace Ave Maria

That's interesting. Does he see or hear anything from God while he's in his trance.

18. Shae

Shae Principalities

Pray4peace, he has told us that he sometimes sees Jesus in the Eucharist.

josephite and AED like this.
  19. Texas Mama of 2

Texas Mama of 2 Principalities

Padraig,

What a wonderful picture!! I'll show it to our little Katie (Kateri Therese, who just turned six) and I'm sure she'll love it and want me to print it for her room! ;)

Shae likes this.
  20. padraig

padraig New Member

Padre Pio and other saints have had people to regularly shake them out of these, 'Trances', during mass. I think it was no accident Padre Pio's masses took up to four hours.

It is so interesting the different things these priests report from what they are shown. For instance the presence of Our Blessed Mother at the right of the altar and that she is present at all masses till the end of time. The presence of the angels, especially the arcangel Michael and of course the Holy Souls. I really love this it so enriches the mass and is reflected in the old Latin liturgy.

josephite, Shae and Booklady like this.