1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Issues....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by DonnaS, Nov 27, 2016.

1. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

I wonder how many of us struggle with sleep issues at times....Last night I woke at 2:45am and couldn't get back to sleep....I pray throughout the time in bed, Mostly the rosary....I have many friends who have nights like this..some of my women friends daily.....

Wondering if anyone here has this issue as well?

djmoforegon, Sanctus and fallen saint like this.
  2. David Healy

David Healy St Pio Son

Hi Donna

Sometimes I wake during the night. If you happen to be awake around 3 am it is very important to pray the chaplet of Divine Mercy for all those who are dying at that time. 3 am is well known as an hour favoured by Satan. Perhaps because it mirrors 3 pm when Our Lord died. Satan does wishing to snatch souls who are dying so by praying the chaplet of Divine Mercy you are standing in for them, interceding for them and you can be sure that Our Lord will use your prayers to save souls who otherwise might be lost. I know from personal experience that Satan hates when people pray the chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3am for the souls of the dying. If Satan hates it you van be sure it is very important to do.

I pray the rosary in bed. Aside from Eucharistic Adoration it is where I find it easier to pray.

Barb H, Light, Jeanne and 6 others like this.
  3. Denise P

Denise P Principalities

Donna,
    I don't know how old you are but when I was in my 40's I used to have no trouble falling asleep around 10:00pm-- but would wake up between 2 and 3 with restless energy. Many of my friends did the same thing so I asked my doctor about it and he said it was a part of going through menopause. It was aggravating because eventually I would fall back asleep around 4:30 then have to wake up at 6:30 to get my kids off to school and I would be dead tired. Once I got through menopause I got back into a better sleeping pattern. But my mid to late 40's were rough!!

DonnaS likes this.
  4. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

Donna, I can't remember the last good night sleep I had and wakeups during the night are a fact of life now. This morn I awoke at exactly 0300 ... and I always try to pray for all the others "Out-There" awake with worry, poor health ... or Old Age .. like me:eek:

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

5. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

yes, I am 58 so I think this is something I have to deal with....I love the idea of DM at 3am for dying souls....I usually go to my rosary. I am not retired so I have to get up at 5am for work.....but that pretty much guarantees the next night should be solid! I did a Sleep Hygiene talk at my school district and was surprised at how many people suffer from sleep issues. I was attacked after my talk for advice :)

6. padraig

padraig New Member

God shines through broken glass. Perhaps God breaks the glass of deep blessed sleep so he can shine through our dreams in the begining of the Eternal Prayer Vigil. I find I pray better at nights. Sometimes when God causes us to drop a shoe He intends it that way. I notice how often I awake around 3am , when darkness is at its height to shed some light in prayer.

DonnaS likes this.
  7. David Healy

David Healy St Pio Son

Jesus knows that those who are dying in the small hours are standing on a precipice in terms of their ultimate destination. He knows His power to snatch those very souls from satan's grasp if only we, the living would ask Him to rescue them at the last minute by our prayers on their behalf. Oh the power of prayer. When we pray for the souls of the dying, particularly the chaplet of Divine Mercy, we are like the parents who stand in the stead of little infants at baptism asking on their behalf to become the children of God by adoption through the cleansing waters of Baptism. We stand in for the dying asking Jesus to apply the merits of our small but powerful prayers to the dying who otherwise may fall into hell.

I know when I first began to pray like this for such souls I was viciously attacked. I believe the intent was to scare me off and deter me from praying. That is how I know how much Satan hates such prayer.

I believe our guardian angels wake us to do this important work. One can only guess the gratitude of those souls who benefit from these prayers to those who have assisted them. I believe God informs them and they in turn pray for those who have helped them. God greatly blesses those who pray for others.

Oh the power of prayer!!! It can literally snatch souls who deserve hell away from it. Something even the most powerful earthly weapon is powerless to do.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Light, fallen saint, Jeanne and 3 others like this.
  8. Glad to hear I'm not the only one this happens to.

DonnaS likes this.
  9. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Called the witching hour probably the most powerful time for the created one. 3 am prayer has been mentioned by many saints. I was at a spiritual peak when I said rosary at 3am.

I will say if it affects you physically...you can pray that this cross is taken away. But it is a very spiritual time to pray.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

It is a important stage spiritually.

Make the best of it and offer it up to God.

May God continue to bless you.

Brother al

Barb H, Jeanne, PotatoSack and 2 others like this.
  10. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

thank you everyone for great insight and suggestions and hey, you're not the ONLY one
    thoughts......

Sanctus likes this.
  11. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

Padraig, thank you for the beautiful video....

12. Indy

Indy Praying

I have found magnesium, especially the powder version good to help me get some sleep plus solve some other anxiety issues I have had. Magnesium is something we need and gets removed from our system dues to poor diet and other ups and downs of modern living.

That said, when God needs you to say an extra Rosary at night your angel will wake you up to say one, seem we can't escape that.

Jeanne, Beth B and DonnaS like this.
  13. BrianK

BrianK Resident Kook, Crank, Curmudgeon - & Mod Staff Member

First sleep and second sleep were once so well known, obvious and accepted that they were part of the Liturgy of the Hours, arising every night at ~2:00am to pray:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783

Jeanne and MMarie like this.
  14. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I was just going to recommend magnesium myself. It relaxes you and should be taken right before bed. It also helps with leg cramps at night. Ladies, if you take calcium (citrate) take it at night with vitamin K 2 ...(so that the calcium is absorbed into your bones and teeth and not your soft tissues and arteries) and your magnesium. Make it part of your night routine. It worked for me.
    Ohhhh...and if you wait until night to pray your rosary....you might be fast asleep before the third decade....trust me :) if you wake in the middle of the night, you can finish your rosary and it will put you back to sleep. Works like a charm!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Barb H, Indy, DonnaS and 2 others like this.
  15. fallen saint

Late night praying is a spiritual discipline...but very powerful. Not for everyone, especially if you have physical or mental disabilities.

You need to spiritually accept the cross. But you will see a change in your life.

:)

16. fallen saint

Just came back from mass...new calendar year. So exciting :) so we have four weeks til Christmas. I guess your post got me excited again. Prayer warriors of the 3rd watch...even-though its technically the fourth watch. I gave a pledge at mass. Hopefully this will get me back on track. If anyone wants to join me...i think it will be spiritually enlightening. If your married don't freak your wife/husband out. Only if you are able too. I will be praying the rosary every night at 3 am until Christmas. Hopefully, i have the grace of God to continue it throughout the year.

If you decide to join me may God grace you with preseverance. Please don't follow up on this thread. This is between you and God. I only ask if you receive a special grace or God blesses you...please send me private message.

May all our spiritualities grow during this advent season.

Warriors of the 3rd watch. :)

May God Bless all our MOG family

May Gods Will be Done

Note: Don't set an alarm, if the Holy Spirit calls then accept his cross.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Jeanne, PotatoSack and DonnaS like this.
  17. DonnaS

DonnaS Guest

Well, Well, Well.....as God would have it, my angel awakened me at 3am.....I said my Divine Mercy and fell back to sleep shortly after I finished while praying some Hail Mary's......Mission Accomplished! :)

18. Bella

Bella Archangels

I just came across this thread. I woke at 3.20 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I did pray the rosary on and off. I prayed it for anyone who came to mind: neighbours, family, colleagues, parishioners. I feel really tired now, though:sleep:....

fallen saint and Beth B like this.
  19. FatimaPilgrim

FatimaPilgrim Powers

This hit me bad last year, almost every night around 3am I was being awaken, one time I heard a low guttural voice conversing while half awake. Spread blessed salt around all of our bedrooms and that seemed to have chased it off. Someone here gave the advice to audibly say I trust you Jesus and Mary and that would always seem to end it and I'd go back to sleep. But it started up again last Friday night and every night since. Our youngest child started that same night waking up and coming to our room saying someone was in his room, he hadn't come into our room or woken up during the night in a year.

Something seems to be up, having a hard time concentrating during the rosary as well and that hasn't happened in years

20. fallen saint

:(

To really pray and believe...opens one up to the spiritual. It is beautiful and at times scary. Lots of people think this is a game. It is not. Spirituality comes with a price. And if you are like me, sometimes hot and sometimes cold, it can be worse.

I am sad...you feel you are being attacked. Yes, it is possible and I wouldn't want anyone to go through it. But one thing is for sure...God listens and answers.

If you believe the other guy is bothering you...all you can do is ask God for help. I can go deeper but at it's very core, you have to ask God for it to stop. Ask your guardian angel, as well as St Michael...to surround your house. Ask them to protect your children. Before you go to sleep pray with your young children...the Our Father, the Hail Mary and the guardian angel prayer.

This is the hardest advice...there is nothing to be scared of. If one is real, so is the other. But Our Lord Jesus Christ is in charge.

God is possibly allowing the spiritual to enter or it might be a bad dream or a wierd coincidence. Just accept it and move on with God as your guide. I know God won't put you through something you can't handle. Be it spiritual or your imagination. It really doesn't matter. God is with you and your family. Trust in him.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. Don't be scared or try to confront directly. Just continue your prayerful path. It will all work out.

:(

I will pray tonight for you and your family.

PotatoSack, sterph and FatimaPilgrim like this.