1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Sister Josefa Menendez Journeys to Hell

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by djmoforegon, Oct 3, 2016.

1. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

Sister Josefa has not been declared a saint yet but I am sure that she is already celebrated as such in Heaven. The suffering and torment she endured for love of Christ and Souls made me fall in love with this simple nun.

She was a Spanish sister who lived out her short vocation in France. Once she is more widely known, her cause for sainthood will catapult quickly.

[​IMG]
    Sister Josefa Menendez Journeys to Hell
    Compiled by Catholic Family News

Our Lord Jesus Christ appeared often during the years 1921 through 1923 to Sister Josefa Menendez (1890-1923), a coadjutor sister of the Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Spain.

The story of Christ’s visits to Sister Josefa is gripping and inspiring, unique in the annals of Church history. It is published in the The Way of Divine Love, a book sponsored by the nun’s own religious order, with instructions from Our Lord that its message be broadcast widely. It contains over 500 pages, all of which are devoted to telling mankind Our Lord’s love for us, and His pleading for our love in return. The book also caries the endorsement of Eugenio Cardinal Pacelli, who later became Pope Pius XII.

Sister Josefa was a victim soul who willingly endured untold sufferings for the salvation of souls. Our Lord sent Sister Josefa into hell so she, too, could testify to the torments of the damned to prepare men for Heaven through the fear of God if “the love of God is not strong enough to gain us salvation.” the following is from Sister Josefa Menendez’ own writing after her return from descents into hell.

Sister Josefa wrote with great reticence on this subject. She did it only to conform to Our Blessed Lord’s wishes, Our Lady having told her on October 25, 1922: “Everything that Jesus allows you to see and to suffer of the torments of hell, is … that you may make it known. So forget yourself entirely, and think only of the glory of the … salvation of souls“.

She repeatedly dwelt on the greatest torment of hell, namely:

“One of these damned souls cried out: ‘This is my torture … that I want to love and cannot; there is nothing left me but hatred and despair. If one of us could so much as make a single act of love … This would no longer be hell … but we cannot, we live on hatred and malevolence’ …” (March 23, 1922)

Another of these unfortunates said: “The greatest of our torments here is that we are not able to love Him. While we hunger for love, we are consumed with desire of it, but it is too late.”

“Some yell because of the burning of their hands. Perhaps they were thieves, for they say: ‘Where is our loot now? … Cursed hands … Why did I want to possess what did not belong to me … and what in any case I could keep only for a few days?’ “

“Others curse their tongues, their eyes … whatever was the occasion of their sin … ‘Now, O body, you are paying the price of the delights you granted yourself … And you did it of your own free will …’ “ (April 2, 1922)

“I saw many worldly people fall into hell, and now words can render their horrible and terrifying cries: ‘Damned for ever … I deceived myself; I am lost … I am here forever’. “

“Today, I saw a vast number of people fall into the fiery pit … they seemed to be worldlings and a demon cried vociferously: ‘The world is ripe for me … I know that the best way to get hold of souls is to rouse their desire for enjoyment … Put me first … Me before the rest … no humility for me! But let me enjoy myself … This sort of thing assures victory to me … and they tumble headlong into hell’.” (October 4, 1922)

“Tonight,” wrote Josefa, “I did not go down into hell, but was transported to a place where all was obscure, but in the center was a red smoldering fire. They had laid me flat and so bound me that I could not make the slightest movement. Around me were seven or eight people; their black bodies were unclothed, and I could see them only by the reflections of the fire. They were seated and were talking together.

“One devil to another said: ‘We’ll have to be very careful not to be found out, for we might easily be discovered’

Another devil answered; ‘Insinuate yourselves by including carelessness in them … but keep in the background, so that you are not found out … by degrees they will become callous, and you will be able to incline them to evil. Tempt these others to ambition, to self-interest, to acquiring wealth without working … Excite some to sensuality and love of pleasure’.”

“Sounds of confusion and blasphemy cease not for an instant. A sickening stench asphyxiates and corrupts everything; it is like the burning of putrefied flesh, mingled with tar and sulfur…a mixture to which nothing on earth can be compared.”

“In the night of 16th March towards ten o’clock”, wrote Josefa, “I became aware, as on the preceding days, of a confusing noise of cries and chains. I rose quickly and dressed, and trembling with fright, knelt down near my bed. The uproar was approaching, and not knowing what to do, I left the dormitory, and went to our Holy Mother’s cell; then I went back to the dormitory. The same terrifying sounds were all round me; then all of a sudden I saw in front of me the devil himself.

“ ‘Tie her feet and bind her hands,’ he cried. Instantly I lost sight of where I was, and felt myself tightly bound and being dragged away. Other voices screamed: ‘No good to bind her feet; it is her heart that you must bind’. ‘It does not belong to me’ came the answer from the devil. Then I was dragged along a very dark and lengthy passage, and on all sides resounded terrible cries.

“On opposite sides of the walls of the narrow corridor were niches out of which poured smoke, though with very little flame, and which emitted an intolerable stench. From these niches came blaspheming voices, uttering impure words. Some cursed their bodies, others their parents … It was a medley of confused screams of rage and despair.

“I was dragged through that kind of corridor which seemed endless. Then I received a punch in the stomach, which doubled me in two, and forced me into one of the niches. I felt as if I were being pressed between two burning planks and pierced through and through with scorching needlepoints. Opposite and beside me souls were blaspheming and cursing me. What caused me most suffering … and to which no torture can be compared, was the anguish of my soul to find myself separated from God …

“It seemed to me that I spent long years in that hell, yet it only lasted six or seven hours …

“I see clearly that all the sufferings on earth are nothing in comparison with the horror of no longer being able to love, for in that place all breathes hatred and thirst to damn other souls.”

Let us thank Our Lord Jesus Christ for giving us these sober warnings, and avoid sin that could send us to Hell. Our Lord established the great sacrament of Penance as a font of mercy for us. Let us also receive often Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist to grow in the life of grace.

Jeanne, lynnfiat, Sam and 1 other person like this.
  2. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

Here is just a little bit more about my dear Sr. Josefa:

Josefa Mendendez was born in Madrid Spain in the year 1890, neither her birth nor her death brought much notice or acclaim. Yet God was to touch this Sisters heart with a very important message for the world.

From a very early age Josefa was blessed with inner locutions from our Lord, at the age of 11 as she was preparing to receive Jesus in the Eucharist for the first time, Josefa pledged her heart to her beloved Lord. It was as she was making this promise that our Lord said to her, "Yes, little one, I want you to be all mine." Unfortunately for Josefa it would be a long wait till she was able to join a Religious Community, but she was a patient and joyful child who would grow into a deeply devout young woman of great Faith, fortitude and that inner sparkle that was Josefa.

Finally at the age of 29 she entered the Order of The Sacred Heart of Jesus in France, though Josefa was happy to finally join her beloved Jesus she was also saddened to leave her family and homeland, but any sacrifice was good if it brought her closer to her beloved Lord. As in many cases of souls who have been especially chosen by our Merciful God, Josefa came under severe trials by the devil who tempted her to doubt her calling, but as with many of these souls, our Lord strengthened Josefa to withstand the snares of the evil one.

Also though Josefa was to be touched by God in a special way yet those closest to Sister Josefa never knew this by her conduct which drew no attention to herself as Josefa was the recipient of Divine Messages for the world. Yet her daily life within the Convent was very ordinary as she carried out her tasks and chores with grace and humility. Her fellow Sisters also did not know of the inner struggle Josefa was undergoing as the devil tempted her to doubt God's voice and her Religious calling, but through it all Josefa maintained a strong prayer life which aided her in resisting listening to the voice of the evil one.

Sister Josefa was at this time receiving extraordinary visions of our Lord, our Lady, St. John the Apostle and the founder of her Order, St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, the only people who knew of these unusual occurrences within the soul of Sister Josefa were her superiors and her Confessor, all of whom admired her humility, detachment and her deep spirit of simplicity which simply confirmed to them that these extraordinary happenings within the life of this Sister were to be believed.

Because Sister Josefa was the recipient of these Divine revelations from our Lord, her Superiors requested that she write down everything that was told to her or revealed through visions. With due respect Sister Josefa obeyed her Superiors with her usual inner perfection while revealing nothing to the other Sisters in her Convent. At times Josefa would quail within at what our Lord was requesting of her and she would confide this to her diary and also to her Confessor for our Lord was requesting that Josefa become a willing victim soul for the sake of sinners. Though Josefa trembled at what may lay ahead of her, still with all her heart she consented to what our Lord requested for through all things her love of God came first.

It was only after Sister Josefa's death at the young age of 33 years that the world would come to know the miraculous events in this young Nun's life and the message she brought to the world. As is written in the diary of this young Sister, . "She always followed common life and seemed in no way different from her sisters and yet she bore on her soul the weight of the most extraordinary and momentous graces of Divine predilection which at one moment delivered her over to the onsets of excruciating physical pain, and again held her captive under the Hand of God. There was a twofold current of love between Him and her; Love Divine, which like the eagle precipitates itself upon its prey, and whose velocity none can stay, and a love frail yet ardent--that of Josefa--whose constant endeavor was to hold herself ever ready to accept all the urgent requirements of God's plan."

The opening paragraphs of Josefa's diary states what exactly is required of a victim soul specially chosen by our Lord in these words, "To be a victim necessarily implies immolation, and as a rule atonement for another. Although strictly speaking one can offer oneself as a victim to give God joy and glory by voluntary sacrifice, yet for the most part God leads souls by that path only when He intends them to act as mediators: they have to suffer and expiate for those for whom their immolation will be profitable; either by drawing down graces of forgiveness on them, or by acting as a cloak to cover their sins in the face of divine justice. It stands to reason that no one will on his own initiative take such a role on himself. Divine consent is required before a soul dares to intervene between God and His creature. There would be no value in such an offering if God refused to hear the prayer." If, then, Jesus Christ wishes to associate other victims with Himself, they must be closely united to Him, and share His feelings, in order to enter fully into His sacrifice; hence they can only be human beings, endowed with intelligence and will." He Himself chooses these persons, and because they are free He asks them for their voluntary co-operation. Those who accept put themselves at His mercy, and He then makes use of them as by sovereign right."
    Josefa Mendendez was born in Madrid Spain in the year 1890, neither her birth nor her death brought much notice or acclaim. Yet God was to touch this Sisters heart with a very important message for the world.

From a very early age Josefa was blessed with inner locutions from our Lord, at the age of 11 as she was preparing to receive Jesus in the Eucharist for the first time, Josefa pledged her heart to her beloved Lord. It was as she was making this promise that our Lord said to her, "Yes, little one, I want you to be all mine." Unfortunately for Josefa it would be a long wait till she was able to join a Religious Community, but she was a patient and joyful child who would grow into a deeply devout young woman of great Faith, fortitude and that inner sparkle that was Josefa.

Finally at the age of 29 she entered the Order of The Sacred Heart of Jesus in France, though Josefa was happy to finally join her beloved Jesus she was also saddened to leave her family and homeland, but any sacrifice was good if it brought her closer to her beloved Lord. As in many cases of souls who have been especially chosen by our Merciful God, Josefa came under severe trials by the devil who tempted her to doubt her calling, but as with many of these souls, our Lord strengthened Josefa to withstand the snares of the evil one.

Also though Josefa was to be touched by God in a special way yet those closest to Sister Josefa never knew this by her conduct which drew no attention to herself as Josefa was the recipient of Divine Messages for the world. Yet her daily life within the Convent was very ordinary as she carried out her tasks and chores with grace and humility. Her fellow Sisters also did not know of the inner struggle Josefa was undergoing as the devil tempted her to doubt God's voice and her Religious calling, but through it all Josefa maintained a strong prayer life which aided her in resisting listening to the voice of the evil one.

Sister Josefa was at this time receiving extraordinary visions of our Lord, our Lady, St. John the Apostle and the founder of her Order, St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, the only people who knew of these unusual occurrences within the soul of Sister Josefa were her superiors and her Confessor, all of whom admired her humility, detachment and her deep spirit of simplicity which simply confirmed to them that these extraordinary happenings within the life of this Sister were to be believed.

Because Sister Josefa was the recipient of these Divine revelations from our Lord, her Superiors requested that she write down everything that was told to her or revealed through visions. With due respect Sister Josefa obeyed her Superiors with her usual inner perfection while revealing nothing to the other Sisters in her Convent. At times Josefa would quail within at what our Lord was requesting of her and she would confide this to her diary and also to her Confessor for our Lord was requesting that Josefa become a willing victim soul for the sake of sinners. Though Josefa trembled at what may lay ahead of her, still with all her heart she consented to what our Lord requested for through all things her love of God came first.

It was only after Sister Josefa's death at the young age of 33 years that the world would come to know the miraculous events in this young Nun's life and the message she brought to the world. As is written in the diary of this young Sister, . "She always followed common life and seemed in no way different from her sisters and yet she bore on her soul the weight of the most extraordinary and momentous graces of Divine predilection which at one moment delivered her over to the onsets of excruciating physical pain, and again held her captive under the Hand of God. There was a twofold current of love between Him and her; Love Divine, which like the eagle precipitates itself upon its prey, and whose velocity none can stay, and a love frail yet ardent--that of Josefa--whose constant endeavor was to hold herself ever ready to accept all the urgent requirements of God's plan."

Sam and CrewDog like this.
  3. CrewDog

CrewDog Powers

Interesting! Another Holy Nun who died at 33 .... like St Faustina ...... and Jesus!
    My Old Mother used to say ... is it an old Irish Tradition? .... that in Heaven we would All be 33 again in our glorified bodies. Sounds good to me ... 33 was a good year :LOL: ... at 33 one is still young and, hopefully, has gotten over being Young & Stupid!??:eek:

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

djmoforegon likes this.
  4. Fatima

Fatima Powers

One of the very first books I read on my journey into the Cathic faith about 35 years ago. Although being baptized Catholic as a baby and raised by good practising parents, I remained completely oblivious to the mystical life, apparitions and prophecy until my mid 20's. This book was a real eye and soul opener for me.

5. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

When our children were little, my husband brought home a book that had been left in our church, with no one claiming it in lost and found. It was The Way of Divine Love by Sister Josefa. I was so enraptured by her story that I planned to visit her convent and religious order when the kids were older. Many years later, I was blessed to be received by the sisters who were promoting her cause for sainthood in Poitiers, France. I spent the day walking the halls that she walked, kneeling in her cell where Our Lord gave her dictation to record, and seeing the dining hall where Jesus helped her set the tables for the students' mid-day meal.

Sr. Josefa opened my eyes to the true meaning of obedience, the immense value of the Eucharist, and the incomprehensible mercy of God. I'm hoping that she helps pave my way into heaven. It will take someone as beloved by God as she is to squeak me past the pearly gates.

PotatoSack, lynnfiat and Sam like this.
  6. padraig

padraig New Member

There is a starkness about the sister which has always delighted me. It is the perfect antidote to the false teachings of today.

In a way the dmeons remind me of people who make very,very bad music. With them everything is dreaful and negative, never a positive word or thought. The only time they seem to be positive is when they tempt to sin and then they turn into angles of light.

When they tempt us to sin they are our defense attorneys then when we sin they suddenly turn and point the finger at us in accusation.

Hell is a terrible place. What is worse about it? Well there are so many, many things bnut I think of these:

Fisrtly on the reflection that it is indeed Eternal. That there is no escape that it goes on and on forever. This is a real killer.

Secondly a regret. The certian knowledge that the only reason why we are there is becuase of our own choice. We did in on ourselves. But biting like knife through the heart comes the possibility of what might have been. That we could have chosen to be good and done great good but did not. THis is like a worm turning in the heart.

Thirdly ..and this is hard to put into words the utter and complete boring banality of it all. Ye sit is a horror story but I just found it so utterly boring and unchanging So grey, full of slime and crap. Buried in it . Utterly monotonous.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

It sounds like God granted you a visit to hell. If you don't mind, would you tell us about it? I'm sure it is a very personal experience so pardon me if you prefer to keep it private.

8. padraig

padraig New Member

No I don't mind I described it a couple of times before on the forum. The description I most found like it was that of St Tereasa of Avila:

http://www.tldm.org/News6/hell3.htm

"A long time after the Lord had already granted me many of the favors I've mentioned and other very lofty ones, while I was in prayer one day, I suddenly found that, without knowing how, I had seemingly been put in hell. I understood that the Lord wanted me to see the place the devils had prepared there for me and which I merited because of my sins. This experience took place within the shortest space of time, but even were I to live for many years I think it would be impossible for me to forget it. The entrance it seems to me was similar to a very long and narrow alleyway, like an oven, low and dark and confined; the floor seemed to me to consist of dirty, muddy water emitting foul stench and swarming with putrid vermin. At the end of the alleyway a hole that looked like a small cupboard was hollowed out in the wall; there I found I was placed in a cramped condition. All of this was delightful to see in comparison with what I felt there. What I have described can hardly be exaggerated.

"What I felt, it seems to me, cannot even begin to be exaggerated; nor can it be understood. I experienced a fire in the soul that I don't know how I could describe. The bodily pains were so unbearable that though I had suffered excruciating ones in this life and according to what doctors say, the worst that can be suffered on earth for all my nerves were shrunken when I was paralyzed, plus many other sufferings of many kinds that I endured and even some as I said, caused by the devil, these were all nothing in comparison with the ones I experienced there. I saw furthermore that they would go on without end and without ever ceasing. This, however, was nothing next to the soul's agonizing: a constriction, a suffocation, an affliction so keenly felt and with such a despairing and tormenting unhappiness that I don't know how to word it strongly enough. To say the experience is as though the soul were continually being wrested from the body would be insufficient, for it would make you think somebody else is taking away the life, whereas here it is the soul itself that tears itself in pieces. The fact is that I don't know how to give a sufficiently powerful description of that interior fire and that despair, coming in addition to such extreme torments and pains. I didn't see who inflicted them on me, but, as it seemed to me, I felt myself burning and crumbling; and I repeat the worst was that interior fire and despair.

"Being in such an unwholesome place, so unable to hope for any consolation, I found it impossible either to sit down or to lie down, nor was there any room, even though they put me in this kind of hole made in the wall. Those walls, which were terrifying to see, closed in on themselves and suffocated everything. There was no light, but all was enveloped in the blackest darkness. I don't understand how this could be, that everything painful to see was visible."

[Source: The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila, Volume 1, Chapter 32: paragraphs: 1,2,3. Published by Institute of Carmelite Studies Publications, Washington, D.C.]

[​IMG]

9. padraig

padraig New Member

10. padraig

padraig New Member

This happpened a long time ago may ten or 15 years ago, I don;t know if it was a ddream or a vision but I have always recalled it quite clearly.

I was carried down or glided down into a kind of gloom lit by the most awful ghastly light and recall going over or between two great pillars and down to the ground which seemed to me to be covered by a kind of stinking mud. I was not as far as I know accompanied and did not think i was visiting hell but that this was to be my Eternal place of abode. In front of me I saw a hole in the gorund which I was given to understand was my own place in hell for ever. As we went down I had the feeling that others were bruied there, it reminded me of some awful ghastly graveyard.

I was liad down in this hole or grave and it was covered over. I knew I was here for ever on acocunt of my many sins.

So many feelings crossed my mind but they are all pretty well summed up in my previous post.

One thing it has done for me is to change the way I look at hell. I have a real fear of hell , a kind of holy fear. I am not afraid at all to mention this to other people. I think we all should have such a holy fear and count it our chief aim ot avoid hell.

It is terrible, terrible, terrible..there are no words. all the worst that can happen to us on Earth are just a tiny scratch in comparison.

Jeanne likes this.
  11. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

Thank you so much, Padraig. While you received a great grace, I can only imagine the terror you experienced. I seem to remember that all who have visited hell believed that they were condemned to eternal damnation due to their sins; even Sister Josefa, with every hellish journey thought she merited hell.

I also believe it is good to contemplate hell occasionally. The world seems to have forgotten that there is a price to pay for sin.

There is an interesting story about a man who nearly died and experienced both heaven and hell. The video is old but so very unusual and compelling.

Carol55 likes this.
  12. padraig

padraig New Member

Padre Pio say that at the point of death (at the point of death , not after) the soul is offered one last chance to see God for what He really is and tp freely choose heaven or hell. To choose hell we have to freely spit in the face of God, so to speak, one last time.

It seems amazing that so amny people do this. But they do. However if you have been walking down one dark road all your life it is difficult to put on the brake and do a u turn at the last moment. These last few seconds before death in which we see God as we really is, well if we have been spitting in the face of God our entire lives it should come as no surpirse or shock that we have one last go at spitting.

[​IMG]

13. garabandal

garabandal Powers

I suspect that those who refuse grace have embittered souls.

They prefer anger to love.

"In the last days the love of many will grow cold."

One only has to enter a large city for a day to feel the indifference and coldness of these places to understand how people can become cut off from one another and embittered by the experiences of life in an urban jungle.

It is a temptation that we all face. If we lose hope we lose faith and love.

So many have lost hope in our world as darkness has come to reign and the light of faith is being completely extinguished.

"When I return will I find faith on the earth"?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    padraig likes this.
  14. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

Did anyone watch the documentary on EWTN "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing"? It was excellent though I wish it went even further in exposing the extant of infiltratio of communism in our Church.

The reason I bring it up here is a comment made by Saul Alinsky, the subject matter of the documentary. He gave a personal acknowledgment in his book, Rules For Radicals, to satan:

"Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history… the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer."

Alinsky went on to say, "Hell would be heaven for me. All my life I’ve been with the have-nots. Over here, if you’re a have-not, you’re short of dough. If you’re a have-not in hell, you’re short of virtue. Once I get into hell, I’ll start organizing the have-nots over there."

Why them? "They're my kind of people. Hell would be heaven for me."

Maybe he was just trying to be clever, I don't know. But there are obviously people who choose hell. Mind boggling!

Dean and padraig like this.
  15. padraig

padraig New Member

I think the devil and his pals are coming right out in the open now.

16. Dean

Dean Principalities

I believe only true believers of Christ really understand what Hell is and how bad it is. From what I know, if that is what he wants in hell, that is not what he will get in hell.

Totus tuus likes this.
  17. djmoforegon

djmoforegon Archangels

The vision of hell that had the greatest impact on me was St. John Bosco's. It's quite lengthy so this is just a portion of it with the link to the rest of his vision.
    http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/bosco_hell.htm
    [​IMG]
    The Holy Saint John Bosco had a Prophetic Vision of Hell in 1868 A.D., (*which is recorded in its entirety below.)Many of the dreams of St. John Bosco could more properly be called visions, for God used this means to reveal His will for the Saint and for the boys of the Oratory, as well as the future of the Salesian Congregation. Not only did his dreams lead and direct the Saint, they also gave him wisdom and guidance by which he was able to help and guide others upon their ways. He was just nine years of age when he had his first dream that laid out his life mission. It was this dream that impressed Pope Pius IX so much that he ordered St. John Bosco to write down his dreams for the encouragement of his Congregation and the rest of us. Through dreams God allowed him to know the future of each of the boys of his Oratory. Through dreams God let him know the boys' state of their souls. On February 1, 1865 St. John Bosco announced that one of the boys will die soon. He knew the boy through the dream the night before. On March 16, 1865, Anthony Ferraris passed away after receiving the Last Sacraments. John Bisio, who helped Anthony and his mother during the former's last hour, confirmed the story of his part in this episode by a formal oath, concluding as foIlows: "Don Bosco told us many other dreams concerning Oratory boys' deaths. We believed them to be true prophecies. We still do, because unfailingly they came true. During the seven years I lived at the Oratory, not a boy died without Don Bosco predicting his death. We were also convinced that whoever died there under his care and assistance surely went to heaven."

*The Road to Hell
    (Prophetic Dream of St. John Bosco 1868 A.D.)

On Sunday night, May 3 [1868], the feast of Saint Joseph's patronage, Don Bosco resumed the narration of his dreams:

I have another dream to tell you, a sort of aftermath of those I told you last Thursday and Friday which totally exhausted me. Call them dreams or whatever you like. Always, as you know, on the night of April 17 a frightful toad seemed bent on devouring me. When it finally vanished, a voice said to me: "Why don't you tell them?" I turned in that direction and saw a distinguished person standing by my bed. Feeling guilty about my silence, I asked: "What should I tell my boys?"

"What you have seen and heard in your last dreams and what you have wanted to know and shall have revealed to you tomorrow night!" He then vanished.

I spent the whole next day worrying about the miserable night in store for me, and when evening came, loath to go to bed, I sat at my desk browsing through books until midnight. The mere thought of having more nightmares thoroughly scare me. However, with great effort, I finally went to bed.

"Get up and follow me!" he said.
    "For Heaven's sake," I protested, "leave me alone. I am exhausted! I've been tormented by a toothache for several days now and need rest. Besides, nightmares have completely worn me out." I said this because this man's apparition always means trouble, fatigue, and terror for me.

"Get up," he repeated. "You have no time to lose."

I complied and followed him. "Where are you taking me?" I asked.

"Never mind. You'll see." He led me to a vast, boundless plain, veritably a lifeless desert, with not a soul in sight or a tree or brook. Yellowed, dried-up vegetation added to the desolation I had no idea where I was or what was I to do. For a moment I even lost sight of my guide and feared that I was lost, utterly alone. Father Rua, Father Francesia, nowhere to be seen. When I finally saw my friend coming toward me, I sighed in relief.

"Where am I?" I asked.

"Come with me and you will find out!"

"All right. I'll go with you."

He led the way and I followed in silence, but after a long, dismal trudge, I began worrying whether I would ever be able to cross that vast expanse, what with my toothache and swollen legs. Suddenly I saw a road ahead.

"Where to now?" I asked my guide.

"This way," he replied.

We took the road. It was beautiful, wide, and neatly paved. "The way of sinners is made plain with stones, and in their end is hell, and darkness, and pains. " (Ecclesiasticus 21: 11, stones: broad and easy.) Both sides were lined with magnificent verdant hedges dotted with gorgeous flowers. Roses, especially, peeped everywhere through the leaves. At first glance, the road was level and comfortable, and so I ventured upon it without the least suspicion, but soon I noticed that it insensibly kept sloping downward. Though it did not look steep at all, I found myself moving so swiftly that I felt I was effortlessly gliding through the air. Really, I was gliding and hardly using my feet. Then the thought struck me that the return trip would be very long and arduous.

"How shall we get back to the Oratory?" I asked worriedly.

"Do not worry," he answered. "The Almighty wants you to go. He who leads you on will also know how to lead you back."

The road is sloping downward. As we were continuing on our way, flanked by banks of roses and other flowers, I became aware that the Oratory boys and very many others whom I did not know were following me. Somehow I found myself in their midst. As I was looking at them, I noticed now one, now another fall to the ground and instantly be dragged by an unseen force toward a frightful drop, distantly visible, which sloped into a furnace. "What makes these boys fall?" I asked my companion. "The proud have hidden a net for me. And they have stretched out cords for a snare: they have laid for me a stumbling-block by the wayside." (Psalms 139: 6)

"Take a closer look," he replied.

I did. Traps were everywhere, some close to the ground, others at eye level, but all well concealed. Unaware of their danger, many boys got caught, and they tripped, they would sprawl to the ground, legs in the air. Then, when they managed to get back on their feet, they would run headlong down the road toward the abyss. Some got trapped by the head, others by the neck, hand, arms, legs, or sides, and were pulled down instantly. The ground traps, fine as spiders' webs and hardly visible, seemed very flimsy and harmless; yet, to my surprise, every boy they snared fell to the ground.

Noticing my astonishment, the guide remarked, "Do you know what this is?"

"Just some filmy fiber," I answered.

"A mere nothing," he said, "just plain human respect.",

Seeing that many boys were being caught in those straps. I asked, "Why do so many get caught? Who pulls them down?"

"Go nearer and you will see!" he told me (Link at the top of the page)

Sam likes this.