1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Paisios the Athonite

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by padraig, Oct 11, 2016.

1. padraig

padraig New Member

I find it very hard to watch secular feed on the media as it has little or no God content whatsoever. It is also true that what we feed into ourselves is what we will get out. Since most of the secualr stuff is actually hostile to religion we actualy risk poisoning oursevles spiritually in what we watch and read. This risk is amplified ten fold with TV where we have virtually no control whatsoever in what is poured into our hearts.

Which is why I enjoy watching utube, I type in, 'Films , Catholic saints' and am delighted to geta good menu.

However lately I seem to have watched most of them and so took the notion a few days ago to type in , 'Prthodox saints' and up popped a docvumetary, sponsored by the Russian Federation on the 'Elder Paisos'. A documentary which goes on what must a world record breaking five hours , based on a book of his life.

St Paisos reminds me a lot , in many ways of Padre Pio. He only died in 1994 and was a miracle worker and the possesser of many mystical gifts.

Saint Paisios of Mount Athos (Greek: Ὅσιος Παΐσιος ὁ Ἁγιορείτης), born Arsenios Eznepidis (1924–1994), was a well-known Greek Eastern Orthodox ascetic from Mount Athos, who originated from Pharasa, Cappadocia. He was respected for his spiritual guidance and ascetic life and many people worldwide highly venerate Elder Paisios, especially in Greece and in Russia.[8][9][10]

Venerable Elder Paisios was canonized on 13 January 2015 by the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate,[3][4] and the church commemorates his feast day on July 12.[5][6]

The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church decided at its meeting of May 5, 2015 also to add the name of the Venerable Paisios of Mount Athos to the Menology of the Russian Orthodox Church, establishing his feast day on June 29/July 12, following the Menology of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Paisios_of_Mount_Athos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

djmoforegon and Sam like this.
  2. padraig

padraig New Member

There is a lovely story about told by a Greek writer which reminds me so much of St Pio. When this guy was a young peniless student who had no love for God at all in his life he was invited by a friend to vist the Holy Island of Mount Athos were the saint lived as a hermit. On eoncountering the saint his life changed because of amiralce, when he met the saint it was similiar to the Transfiguration of Christ in which he saw the saint in a great light.

I love these tales. :)

djmoforegon, CathyG and Sam like this.
  3. padraig

padraig New Member

Prophecy:

Sanctus likes this.
  4. padraig

padraig New Member

St Paisios was once asked by osmeone what he did during his long night prayer vigils in front of the Holy Icons to which hte saint replied,

' I light the stars'.

I love this answer so much and it has stayed with me for days now. So poetic, so sublime, so mystical an answer.

5. Sanctus

Sanctus Guest

Elder Paisios on Yoga and Hinduism. He pretty much exposes the whole thing for what it is: