Saint Gerald majella

Discussion in 'The Saints' started by padraig, Dec 28, 2007.

1. padraig

padraig Powers

I'm reading a book at the minute called, 'Saint Gerald Majella His writings and spirituality'

In case you don't know much about the guy he was a Redemptorist lay brother who lived in Italy round about the start of the eighteenth century. He is the Patron saint of mothers and is often referred to as the 'wonder worker'. He died when he was just 29 of TB, like many saints round a bout then.

I first got interested in Gerlad when I was a kid and my da used to haul me and my brothers off to the Redemptorist confraternity, some of us more willing than others.

The priests there told us loads of yarns about the little saint, one being that the devil dragged him round the corridors of the monastery at night howling, which of course, had me hooked on Gerald for all eternity as indeed the wise priest planned.

Gerald's life is full to the brim of miracles and wonders. A few tasters, the Arc angel Michael showed up and gave him Holy Communion when the Parish Priest thought him too young. The Child Jesus gave him blessed bread. I notice the authors of this modern anthology are inclined to rein back a lot on the pious wonderful; stories. But to tell the truth I believe them all, hook, line and sinker. The problem is not, in the truth of the stories but on the lack of the faith of the writers. You have only, for instance to hear a few stories about Padre Pio, for instance to hear angels wings all round us!!...and why not??

Anyway there was one story about Gerald Majella that always puzzled me since I was a kid and left me thinking he had made a mistake. It goes like this. A young girl wanted to be a nun but had no dough for a dowry. In those days you had to have a stack of cash to make them reckon you had a sure vocation. Gerald went to a nobleman and get the dough and put it up for the girl. So she went to the convent didn't like the scenery and after a couple of weeks cut and run back home.

Now in them days this was a big, big disgrace for the poor girl and she was left with loads of egg on her face. She felt spiteful at poor Gerald and spread a bad story about the saint having bad relations with another girl from the village.

The local Parish Priest wrote a very sharp letter to Saint Alphonsus , the founder of the Redemptorists and poor Gerald was in very,very hot water. Alphonsus put the gossip to Gerald who just kept quiet and said nothing. Well of course this only made Alphonsus more suspicious than ever and poor Gerald was stopped from taking communion and reined in on his mission work.

Now it always seemed to me that Gerald should have opened his mouth and straightened things out. Why let the clouds linger??

But its only on reading the book I realise why this was. The Redmptorist rule forbade people from offering excuses when accused by a Superior. So , now I understand. Gerald was just keeping the Rules.

By the way correct me if I am wrong but both Saint Gerald's and Saint Alphonsus's bodies are incorrupt. It also shows that even great saints can out their foots in it.

I'll write more on Gerald if anything crops up.

2. Mario

Mario Powers

Hurrah Gerard!

Padraig,

Maybe in Ireland his name is spelled Gerald. In my family, we know him as Gerard. My wife, Geralyn, is named after him since her mom, Doris, was experiencing a difficult pregnancy, and begged his assistance. Gerard obviously responded to her request. Be sure to tell us more since such saints challege us to a greater level of humility with their self-abnegation. It sure is tough for me to keep my mouth shut! :roll:

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

3. padraig

padraig Powers

We call him Gerard in Ireland too Terry!! That is apart from folks like me that have come down with a bad case of Dyslexia. Another female version of the name is 'Majella', I don't know if you ever heard of this??

Anway, most Saturday mornings I take myself over to Clonard Monastery for mass in confession. It is run by Gerard.s congregation, The Redmptorists.t is Clonard is one of the holiest places in Ireland. Why so?? Well a two word answer THE PEOPLE!! for instance the gold frame was made from the weddings rings donated from the ladies of the area. Every year in June tens of thousands of folks flock there for the Solemn Novena and every year my eyes fill with tears to see their great faith. It reminds me of the words of Jesus as He lay dying on the cross, words of triumph, 'But you oh God are Holy!! Enthroned on the praises of Israel!!' Praises of Israel indeed!!

Also there is a wonderful shrine to Saint Gerard with a first class relic. I called over this morning and took some photos for you all to see. You may notice some thing funny about the photo of the relic as whatever way the light hit it, it appears to be shining!!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239 ... 1198930147

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239 ... 1198930296

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239 ... 1198930331

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239 ... 1198930357

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239 ... 1198930424

4. Lee

Lee Principalities

Padraig, what a beautiful parish. I saw things like that in Italy but certainly not around here makes me want to live where there is more tradition. And I love that you included yourself! So nice to see you!

The group I belong to prayed for months to St. Gerard for a woman's difficult pregnancy, she delivered a beautiful healthy baby girl.
    Lee

5. padraig

padraig Powers

Yes Lee, I love old things. In Italy all the Churches seemed so old, so much history. You can see many saints must have prayed there down the centuries. Its the same with Clonard. You think , wow saints have walked here!!

I noticed in the book a husband and wife approached Gerard as they wanted a baby. Gerard predicted its birth, to the day. But the father said he would call it Gerard and said that every time he held his hand over the unborn child it kicked in the womb!! Reminds me of Saint John the Baptist leaping in the womb at the approach of the unborn Jesus.

Gerard seems to have had a special relationship with women with flocks of nuns chasing after him, like some kinda spiritual movie star :D

6. padraig

padraig Powers

I was reading there a story of one day Gerard was walking through the fields when a local farmer chased after him asking him to bless the fields (he thought Gerard was a priest}. The crops where being devastated by a plague of rats. In those days this was really serious as folks led a hand to mouth existence based on the grain crops, if they failed people died. Gerard asked if the farmer wanted the rats to go elsewhere or to die. The farmer said he wanted them to die as, if they went elsewhere they would just do more harm. Gerard blessed the fields and suddenly hundreds and hundreds of rats could be seen, belly up all over the place. The farmer was so impressed he ran ahead of Gerard for many miles, shouting, 'the saint is coming, the saint is coming'

This reminds me some the stories about Jesus from the Gospels... In fact Gerard worked so many miracles for the poor and hungry, healing crops and causing supplies of food to multiply that the land owners, who tried to monopolise the crops, to raise the prices and starve the people hated Gerard....