1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Rosary in the Car

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by seekerofmary, Jan 11, 2018.

1. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

I have yet to accomplish meditative prayer, and I do so long for it.
    Is it even possible to experience the dark night without first experiencing consolations?

sterph and josephite like this.
  2. josephite

josephite Powers

Yes!

When life is one suffering after another and you offer it all to Jesus because you dearly Love Jesus [which I know you do] than Yes he has allowed you to experience with him the cross and his call to the Father [Oh My God Why Have you abandoned me?!]

You in fact are more privileged than the great saints that we venerate. Because blessed are they that have not seen and yet believed!

Consolations? They are needed for the weak!

I am weak and God has seen fit that I have received many consolations! But in my weakness these consolations become dust in the years of the dark night of the soul and so it is He who provides for the weak, and He must do this less I sink!

But for those that are so graced with supernatural virtue and heroic virtue the dark night descends and you have nothing to hold on to! Oh how holy that person must be! Please pray for me for I am a wretched sinner!

God Bless you Sg Catholic.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    sterph likes this.
  3. AED

AED Powers

This is so beautifully said and so true that God takes great pity on our weakness. I too have been blessed with consolations but also dryness and darkness sometimes. I think it is our very wretchedness draws Him to us. And like you say Josephite I too am a great sinner in need of prayer. With the graces I have been given I should be a saint but I have made poor use of His kindness. I absolutely rely on His mercy!

4. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

You are so kind to me Josephite. But I want so desperately to believe what you say because I yearn so much for our Lord, and find it so hard to understand why I do not receive even a little consolation. I am definitely far from holy! But almost all day long, I am thinking of our Lord and our Blessed Mother.
    The one thing I know for certain is that 9 years ago, when I was still a pagan and seeking Him and the Truth, God answered my prayers by blessing me with such strong faith in Him, and it led to my conversion and Baptism. I pray this strong faith will never be taken away from me.
    God Bless you too Josephite.

5. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

I definitely pray for all here on MOG forum everyday, and I too ask for all your prayers.
    May God hear and answer us. Amen.

josephite and AED like this.
  6. josephite

josephite Powers

I think I understand Sg,

Lately, I yearn to have my soul soothed because I remember a consolation and as I no longer recieve consolations the way I used to 20 to 30 years ago, I
    think, 'God has abandoned me'!

But while I look for consolations, I run the risk of not loving God for Himself alone, but for what I can recieve from Him!

The times that I recieved consolations were times that I probably needed them! After my daughter died 30 years ago, God saw fit to provide many consolations. Prayer was like running to a well and drinking deeply and feeling the water quench the thirst in every one of my cells! I recieved signal grace after signal grace and even though I was grieving intently the Lord was manifesting so much, it defies scientific belief!

One of the things the Lord told me back then [I heard Him speak to my soul], was this.....

"It is the daily striving that counts, in the drudgery of the mundane, obeying My Will, day in and day out, in the wilderness plains, in the little things; for this secures My intimate friendship!; rather than the momentary heights of the occasional 'Mount of Transfiguration!'"

Denise P, SgCatholic and sterph like this.
  7. AED

AED Powers

This is so similar to my own spiritual life Josephite. I lost my oldest son 9 years ago and received such an outpouring of grace and consolation it was like the scripture “poured out pressed down and overflowing” but there are dry and dark days in between the flashes of light. Some years ago I was looking at my picture of the Sacred Heart that hung in my kitchen—not praying just gazing. I heard in my mind that recognizable voice “how many want My gifts, how few want My Cross.” It had a deep effect on me. have tried hard to just accept what comes along and offer it to Him. My crosses are often the mundane drudgeries. I try not to resist but sometimes I get discouraged with myself.
    That was a beautiful word you received from Him. So beautiful.

SgCatholic, sterph and josephite like this.
  8. AED

AED Powers

God bless you SG. You are very very loved by Jesus. Don’t be discouraged. You are experiencing what happens after a deep encounter/conversion experience with Jesus. There comes a time when He wants us to walk on our own instead of being carried. I experienced this myself when I received the grace to come back to Him. The consolations and nearness are so sweet and powerful we just want it to go on and on. But the consolations at least in my experience only return once in awhile. He wants us to love Him for Himself alone and not for the consolations. I offer the dryness and sorrow and yearning to Him and unite it to His Sacred Heart through the Immaculate Heart of Mary that His Heart May be consoled. Even when I don’t feel it I try to keep making acts of love. I believe it comforts Him when we yearn for Him and feel so alone and solitary. I hope this helps. A good spiritual director would help with this but I know they are impossible to find. Just don’t think it is something you’ve done or that it is something wrong with you. Far from it! St Ignatius talks of this dryness and sorrow. He says keep up your regular prayers and reception if the sacraments and wait. It will pass. Truly it does. Ask Our Lady. She is so good about stepping in. God bless! I will put you in my Rosary tonight.

SgCatholic, sterph and josephite like this.
  9. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

Thank you for replying, AED.
    My tears flow as I type this. For truly I have never experienced any consolation. My conversion was through reason. God knows that I am someone who needed reason to receive faith, and He opened my mind to receive the undeniable Truth, through the RCIA and what I read from various websites. One day I was suddenly able to believe with no doubt remaining.

But I do not have any sweet times to carry me through the ever present darkness.
    You are right about the spiritual director. I just recently finished reading 'When the well runs dry', which I think padraig recommended before on one of the threads. But I don't know who to ask to be my SD.
    The only person I know who really emphasizes a deep prayer life and mentions it very frequently is the Bishop of Singapore! And he is way too busy to be my SD of course.
    This is where my strong faith helps so much. I know that everything happening to me is being allowed by God.
    But it is very painful to have such a great yearning which goes unfulfilled.

Thank you for your prayers.

AED and josephite like this.
  10. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

My heart goes out to you both. :cry:

11. josephite

josephite Powers

Thank you SgCatholic, this is for all the dear members of the MoG family but especially for you.

You are in my prayers.

12. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

Wow, would you believe it? I was just singing this hymn softly when I got home from work a short while ago.
    Thank you for your prayers, Josephite.

13. josephite

josephite Powers

Maybe the Lord has given a signal grace?

To me this indicates that He does indeed hear your pleas and wants you to know this!

God is so wonderful! Oh how Holy and Loving is our God! Blessed Be the Most Holy Name of Our God!

I think maybe, this is just the start;)

We must always continue in our prayer.

SgCatholic, Mary's child and AED like this.
  14. SgCatholic

SgCatholic Maranatha

I am always full of hope that our Lord will one day grant me some consolations. Every time I read the Bible, every retreat I go to, every mass I assist at, every holy place of pilgrimage I go to, I always hope that it will yield the encounter I'm yearning for. For sure, my yearnings have thus far not been fulfilled, and each time I go away disappointed. But then hope springs eternal again.
    I dare to hope that you are right, that this may just be the start :)
    God Bless you.

josephite and AED like this.
  15. seekerofmary

seekerofmary New Member

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

SgCatholic, josephite and AED like this.