Remembering something right when the priest is saying the words of absolution

Discussion in 'The Sacraments' started by RosaryWielder, Jul 21, 2018.

1. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Founder of Claritas

I really hate to post a question like this but, I just went to confession, and right around the time the priest was beginning to say the words of absolution, I remembered something. (And part of me wonders if that thing was really mortally sinful or not, as I keep forgetting to confess it, and had been worrying at that time about whether or not I had confessed everything I was going to confess.)

Did I commit a sacrilege by not saying something at that moment?

2. Shae

Shae Powers

Hello RW. My advice to you would be that first off, you need to determine whether the sin you remembered, but didn't confess, was a mortal sin or not. There are 3 conditions that must be met to make a sin mortal: (1) Grave Matter - the act itself is intrinsically evil and immoral; (2) Full Knowledge - the person must know that what they're doing or planning to do is evil and immoral; (3) Deliberate Consent - the person must freely choose to commit the act or plan to do it. If you come to the conclusion that your sin meets all three of these conditions, then you should go back and confess it asap. If you are unsure, I would just go back and talk to the Priest about it. If it turns out to be a venial sin, you needn't concern yourself. Venial sins are forgiven when you piously turn your heart and mind back to God, and also when you go to Mass and when you receive Holy Communion. But I would still confess it at your next confession anyway, as venial sin weakens charity. Hope this help:)

3. RosaryWielder

RosaryWielder Founder of Claritas

Thanks that helped a lot!

I'm pretty sure that the sin in question was merely a venial sin, although I will be mentioning all of this at my next confession.

Shae and gracia like this.
  4. Don_D

Don_D ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

Remember at the end of confession to say;
    For these and all the sins of my past life, I ask pardon of God, penance, and absolution from you, Father.
    This will cover any sins which may have not been revealed while preparing for the Sacrament. I like to write mine out personally. It jogs my memory when I see them in black and white and helps me to remember others.
    Unless this sin is one in which you value counsel from your Priest then I would not think twice about it other than to consider that it may be something I want to broach in the next visit.
    Personally, I love this Sacrament and I really value the counsel I receive from it. I thank God for it each time I go.

RosaryWielder, Shae and Booklady like this.