1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Reiki and other new age practices

Discussion in 'The Signs of the Times' started by conor1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. I know what you mean SB, but in my own experience people who are into seemingly harmless alternative stuff, are usually involved or have been involved in other therapies too. And to put it simply... if I pray over you for healing and I have opened myself to something in the past I shouldn't have, and not dealt with it... then you will be affected by my stuff. And that's when the trouble starts..:sneaky:
    Would you take the chance? I know I wouldn't!

Jeanne likes this.
  2. Scolaire Bocht

Scolaire Bocht Principalities

Yes anything in New Age that smacks of an alternative religion, in any shape or form whatsoever, I think is like that and should be avoided totally.

But if we take something like acupuncture can we say that it is a health technology, as it were, just like any other one. i.e. in the same way that doctors advancing in their science find some nerve ending which if healed will improve your kidneys or whatever that an acupuncture doctor can say that the electricity running through this area is hampered and causing such and such a problem. Does there have to be much of a difference between the two here, can some of these therapies not have legitimate insights into medical problems and hence not be all bad?

That said as you say any dabbling in therapies that veer off the straight and narrow at all would have to be forgiven/cleansed in a person, true. Its just hard to agree with John Gillespie's very puritanical view about it. He actually strongly urged a practitioner of reflexology to give it up, even though the practitioner consulted 3 priests who had no problems with it, and I don't think anybody who does that therapy for a second believes it has a mystical or spiritual element.

Nonetheless he definitely has very authentic and important mystical gifts so maybe he is right.

Jeanne, MarysChild and Beth B like this.
  3. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

I do Border...a weekly rosary group and another family rosary prayer group. I have been praying for her son's healing, but I now need to add deliverance to this because of the reiki....I'm just now realizing how bad this actually is.

4. Beth B

Beth B Beth Marie

Yes Conor....it is possible that she is unaware of the multiple levels. Free masonry is the same type of deception. With each degree you go up, more of its real purpose is revealed.

Thank you for your kind offer to counsel her on this. I emailed her today, but so far I haven't heard back....

5. MarysChild

MarysChild Principalities

You are on the right track here. Something like acupuncture is based on experimental science. There are no spirits being invoked, or "energies" being invited. The practice did originate from a pagan society, but that in itself does not condemn it. Homeopathy is also similar. Galileo was also accused by some of being occult, because the science was not yet understood.

Here is a balanced article from an orthodox American organization, Catholics United For the Faith:
    http://www.cuf.org/2014/09/ask-cuf-church-teach-alternative-healing-methods/

6. Mac

Mac "To Jesus, through Mary"

This may come as a surprise to some ,but about 15yrs ago I played around with color therapy.
    Initially I went to an old woman in town who could diagnose health problems . And she taught me to use a pendulum and color .
    I still dont understand if it was right or wrong to do , but a priest told me to stay away from it. Even though another priest had told me it was fine . [his brother could do it to find missing persons]

7. josephite

josephite Powers

In the early days of Christianity, believers in Jesus Christ were forced to face up to the gnostic religions. They did not ignore them, but took the challenge positively and applied the terms used of cosmic deities to Christ himself. The clearest example of this is in the famous hymn to Christ in Saint Paul's letter to the Christians at Colossae:

“He is the image of the unseen God and the first-born of all creation,
    for in him were created all things in heaven and on earth:
    everything visible and everything invisible,
    Thrones, Dominations, Sovereignties, Powers–
    all things were created through him and for him.
    Before anything was created, he existed, and he holds all things in unity.
    Now the Church is his body, he is its head.
    As he is the Beginning, he was first to be born from the dead,
    so that he should be first in every way;
    because God wanted all perfection to be found in him
    and all things to be reconciled through him and for him,
    everything in heaven and everything on earth,
    when he made peace by his death on the cross” (Col 1: 15-20).

For these early Christians, there was no new cosmic age to come; what they were celebrating with this hymn was the Fulfilment of all things which had begun in Christ. “Time is indeed fulfilled by the very fact that God, in the Incarnation, came down into human history. Eternity entered into time: what 'fulfilment' could be greater than this? What other 'fulfilment' would be possible?”

Gnostic belief in cosmic powers and some obscure kind of destiny withdraws the possibility of a relationship to a personal God revealed in Christ. For Christians, the real cosmic Christ is the one who is present actively in the various members of his body, which is the Church. They do not look to impersonal cosmic powers, but to the loving care of a personal God; for them cosmic bio-centrism has to be transposed into a set of social relationships (in the Church); and they focus on the historical Jesus, in particular on his crucifixion and resurrection.

We find in the Letter to the Colossians and in the New Testament a doctrine of God different from that implicit in New Age thought: the Christian conception of God is one of a Trinity of Persons who has created the human race out of a desire to share the communion of Trinitarian life with creaturely persons. Properly understood, this means that authentic spirituality is not so much our search for God but God's search for us.

8. garabandal

garabandal Powers

Did these priests read 'Jesus Christ, the Bearer of the Water of Life'?

What a great title for an encyclical!

Here is a section from the encyclical.

There is a remarkable variety of approaches for promoting holistic health, some derived from ancient cultural traditions, whether religious or esoteric, others connected with the psychological theories developed in Esalen during the years 1960-1970. Advertising connected with New Age covers a wide range of practices as acupuncture, biofeedback, chiropractic, kinesiology, homeopathy, iridology, massage and various kinds of “bodywork” (such as orgonomy, Feldenkrais, reflexology, Rolfing, polarity massage, therapeutic touch etc.), meditation and visualisation, nutritional therapies, psychic healing, various kinds of herbal medicine, healing by crystals, metals, music or colours, reincarnation therapies and, finally, twelve-step programmes and self-help groups.
    The source of healing is said to be within ourselves, something we reach when we are in touch with our inner energy or cosmic energy.

Ignorance is not an excuse. I am with John Gillespie on this one.

It is a lack of faith in Jesus Christ, the way, the truth and the light that makes people turn to New Age heathen practices.

It is Jesus Christ who heals and restores. Not some inner energy or cosmic force.

God has raised up lay people like John Gillespie and Johnnette Benkovic (Women of Grace) to warn us about the dangers of New Age deception because many of our priests are asleep.

http://shop.womenofgrace.com/category/NewAge

Booklady likes this.
  9. MarysChild

Note that all the practices listed above are not necessarily considered New Age, but the ADVERTISING connected with new age tends to be associated with certain practices, and admittedly one has to navigate something of a minefield to avoid those who are "new-agey" in the alternative health field. I have known quite a few devout Catholics in this field as well, however. I know that this local chiropractor here prays the Rosary every day, prays for his patients, and was prepared to be obedient if the Archdiocese did not approve of his practices. He sees many patients (and many more have to wait months to get in) and has reputedly helped many people who did not receive help from mainstream medicine.

As far as Jesus Christ being the healer, this is totally true, but the lack of faith can apply just as much to those who use mainstream medicine. Alternative medicine (as mainstream medicine) stands or falls based on the scientific merits (and whether it works or not.)

As you implied, New Age is more of a religion and/or way of thinking rather than a certain alternative medicine practice. Personally, I think Johnnette Benkovic is way off base when it comes to scientific matters. Modern mainstream science, in my opinion, is just another area (along with education, economy, government, media etc.) which has come under the control of Satan. Most "scientific" studies are misleading and paid for by those who have an agenda and a desired outcome.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Jeanne likes this.
  10. How do you know there are no spirits being invoked, or energies being invited? The article itself says, "it is not yet fully understood."

Jeanne likes this.
  11. MarysChild

Because spirits getting invoked, etc. is an explicit action. That is not a problem for an expert such as an exorcist (or even a layperson in many cases) to discern. Something not being understood doesn't mean spirits are involved. Read about Dr. Semmelweis. He was the first to discover that the simple action of hand-washing could save a lot of lives, especially in a clinical setting. But because he could not explain WHY it worked, he was laughed to scorn by the medical community of his day. He ended up going insane as many died unnecessarily because no one would listen to him.

Acupuncture would be similar. They discovered that something worked, but did not know why. They ended up attributing it to their theories of Yin, Yang, Qi, etc. since they did not have the scientific method.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  12. Acupuncture is not something I know much about as you have probably guessed:). But how can the fruits of something be good if the roots originated in paganism? I realise something not being understood doesn't mean spirits are involved but it doesn't mean they are not either. Perhaps there is an explicit action involved somewhere!
    This reminds me of the action of yoga, which to the hindu was never meant to be an exercise but a form of worship to one of 3 million gods, and or to allow the flow of life force energy through the body. Similarly when Catholics do yoga as an exercise, they are unwittingly worshipping a false god through the body movement.

Pray4peace, Jeanne and MarysChild like this.
  13. MarysChild

Right, I guess a distinction needs to be made between whether a practice arose intrinsically linked with a certain religion, or whether it is a discovery made via science (or trial and error) which wasn't understood, so a religious explanation was given. I suggest reading the article I linked earlier for some helpful principles.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that no discovery made by someone who professes a false religion could be valid.

Jeanne likes this.
  14. I am not saying a discovery could not be valid, but I would seriously question it if it was rooted in a false religion.
    To do otherwise would be like asking stan's advice on how to get to heaven :D

15. Adoremus

Adoremus Archangels

Someone on the forum shared this article on homeopathy before (actually there are several articles on the page) which suggest that homeopathy is nothing more than a "medicalised" form of white magic or witchcraft.

16. MarysChild

17. If I was a betting man MarysChild, (which I'm not) I'd be betting you have a vested interest in some of this stuff!;)

God Bless
    BC

MarysChild likes this.
  18. MarysChild

You would be partially right. It is true that alternative medicine has helped many members of my family regain their health to a much greater extent than mainstream medicine was able to, so I am motivated to defend it, at least the parts that are legitimate! My livelihood isn't in this area, however.

Border collie and Jeanne like this.
  19. From what I know of John, and having spoken to him a couple of times, he has a very close relationship with the Lord, and listens and is obedient to the Holy Spirit. The direction he is given is borne out in the fruits and results.

20. inneedofprayers

inneedofprayers New Member

Hello Adoremus,
    is Fr.John Mockler still in Limerick do you know? I was initiated into Reiki level 1 about 10 years ago and my life has been affected by relentless bad luck but now things have got quite nasty. It is a long story and a personal one but basically things have gone from being just a relentless parade of less serious problems to very serious problems affecting my son and my husband, very difficult,painful and expensive to resolve and having a domino affect on our entire lives.I do think we need a priest's help so if Fr.Mockler is still in Limerick and still doing this sort of deliverance work I will contact him.Thank you.

Sam likes this.