Rain

Discussion in 'Welcome to New Members' started by Rain, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Rain

Rain Powers

Hi Everybody: I'm a member of the old forum, formerly known as "In Quest". I'm a 30-something-year-old stay-at-home mom. I have two kids ages 4 & 5. My interests vary from month to month, but one thing is consistant--I spend too much time on the computer!

I hope to see both old friends and new here.

Peace.

2. Mario

Mario Powers

I like your new new user.

I wish we had more of it around here. Yesterday, I took the cap off both our well and my Mother-in-law's well. The water level is almost down to the foot valve in both of them. We've seen water trucks zip by frequently, so many the country home in this area is hurting.

Lord, quickly refresh us with fall rains. AMEN!

3. padraig

padraig Powers

Its great to see old friends. I am impressed you could do the announcement thingy!! Must have a look and see how its done!! I see a lot more gizmo's on this board. :D

4. Lee

Lee Principalities

Members

Rain, I like your new name and so glad you are here.
    Lee

5. CRW

CRW New Member

Re: I like your new new user.

Mario,

Do you have the availability of city water? How do you keep it from freezing in the winter?

Cecil

6. maryrose

maryrose Powers

Hi everybody,
    Glad to see you all here and I am looking forward to reading your inspirational posts.

God bless
    Mary :roll:

7. Mario

Mario Powers

Re: city water? ha,ha

Cecil,

Thanks for your concern; I must not have spoken clearly. My family lives out in the country where many people depend on well water. A number of these are not even drilled, but dug wells. My home has the most primitive of wells in the area. It is 22 feet deep, with a 4 ft. width, and lined with stone. It was originally dug and lined in 1830. Of the 8 summers we have lived here, only 2001 and this year have proven troublesome. Normally, from June through August, we receive about 11" of rain, but this summer we only received 2" through 9/7. There had been none for about 4 weeks.

When a household's dug well becomes stressed (water level below intake valve), an initial step is to have a water truck deliver 200 gallons as a stopgate measure. About 2 weeks ago I imposed some water restictions on the family. Last Tuesday, I noticed the creek not far from the house had stopped flowing, so Geralyn and I imposed tighter restrictions. Friday, we really stormed the gates of heaven since I was convinced we would soon go dry.

Well, Our Lady heard our prayers and on her birthday the remnants of Hurricane Henriette approached. Yesterday, we received about a quarter inch and today at least a full inch of rain. More is predicted this week. So with cooler weather and a fall pattern settling in, I hope we're out of the woods. And we didn't have to have water delivered, either. Praise God!

Even dug wells do not freeze in weather below 0 F for several reasons. The vein which feeds the well is below the frozen ground level ( about 3 ft.). Also, household usage is constantly drawing on the well water and so the water is not still or stagnant.

We certainly have an appreciation for this most basic of needs.

Jer 5:24 ...Let us fear the Lord our God, who gives the rain in its season, the autumn rain and the spring rain, and keeps for us the weeks appointed for harvest.

8. Rain

Rain Powers

Thanks for welcoming back, everybody.

Padraig wrote:
    Are you talking to me? If you are, I have no idea what you're talking about. If I did something impressive, it was by accident and I don't even know about it :(. LOL.

Mario: 22 ft. for a well? That sounds shallow, but really, I know very little about wells, except ours is 77 ft. deep and 6 inches wide. All the water here is sulpher water -- YUK! But, we have a sulpher filter, so it's OK. And what bites about well water is that when the power is out -- there's no water!

9. Mario

Mario Powers

This time the Lord gaveth!

Rain,

Your 77 ft. well is drilled, so PTL you'll never lack for water. The Lord has solved our dilemma by providing 3" of rain this past week, more than we received in the last 3 mos. We were stretched a bit, but it was probably a dry run for our future trials. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi guys!

Thanks to Padraig for doing his absolute best to beat the 'bots, and for providing this lovely forum. This is Joan, for those who have emigrated and re-registered--and glad to see some familiar members as well as some new friends also!