1. Welcome to Mother of God Forums - A place dedicated to the Mother of God. Please feel free to join us in prayer and sharing. Please Register to start posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about kneeling / sitting at mass

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Astrolabe, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Astrolabe

Astrolabe New Member

Something has been bugging me lately, and I wondered if anyone might have any insight into it. I have been at two masses lately where the congregation did not kneel down for the Consecration, but the priests never said anything, and I wondered if this is common.

The first time was at a wedding, a month ago. Most people in the church seemed confused about when to stand, kneel, sit, etc...and kept looking around them to see what everyone else was doing. Nobody was answering the responses either, so these things led me to believe that these people were not regular church-goers. They weren't being deliberately disrespectful, they just didn't know. I knelt at the right times, but even the people sitting next to me did not follow suit. Literally nobody else knelt down for the Consecration.

But what upset me most, was the fact that the priest didn't invite them to kneel down. Often when the Our Father is to be said, the priest will say "Please stand, as we say the prayer our Saviour taught us...", so why not let people know they should be kneeling for the most important part of the whole mass??

The other time was on Christmas day, when I went to mass at a different time than usual, hence a different priest than I was used to seeing. Again, the congregation seemed confused, so I gathered they were 'Christmas church-goers', as opposed to regular attendees. I need to add, I am not judging anyone at all, simply explaining that they didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing/saying. Again, nobody kneeled for the Consecration, and again, the priest never said anything.

I suppose I'm having a bit of a rant, but I just wanted to know - is the priest not allowed to interrupt the mass in order to advise people to be respectful? I hope this is the case, because the alternative is that neither of these two priests cared, and that's really worrying.

I would appreciate any insight anybody may have...thank you! :)

Beth B likes this.
  2. Fatima

Fatima Powers

For the past 30+ years there has been liberal priests who choose not to follow Church rubrics, which state kneeling during this part of Mass. They all know the Church rubrics, but like so many things in the Church today it is 'pick and choose' what you want. If the priest was not in favor of this abuse, he could easily tell the congregation, 'please kneel'.

Modern Catholic Dictionary
    by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J.

RUBRICS. Originally red titles of law announcements. They are the directive precepts or liturgical provisions found in the Missal, including the Sacramentary and lectionary, and in the ritual, to guide bishops, priests, or deacons in the Eucharistic liturgy, the administration of sacraments and sacramentals, and the preaching of the Word of God. Rubrics are printed in red and are either obligatory or merely directive, as the context makes amply clear. (Etym. Latin rubrica, red earth; title of law written in red; hence law instruction.)

Beth B and HeavenlyHosts like this.
  3. Astrolabe

Astrolabe New Member

Thank you for the information, Fatima. I was really shocked at what I saw, and am still quite disturbed by it. It was something I had not really seen happen before. Often at mass, some people do not kneel at the right times, but I would never judge, because maybe they find it difficult, or have joint pain, etc. But when nobody kneels, and the priest says nothing, well...it's easy to see how things are going the way they are going in the church :(

josephite likes this.
  4. Fatima

Fatima Powers

You must come from a very small pocket of an area where orthodoxy in liturgy is still the norm. That is not the case in most dioceses and churches in the world today. You have been fortunate to have not seen this abuse until now. I started writing priests, bishops, our papal nuncio and even the pope on these abuses and more 30 years ago. For the most part to no avail.

Astrolabe likes this.