Promptings of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'On prayer itself' started by Border collie, Aug 27, 2016.

1. I'm curious as to how the Holy Spirit works in the day to day lives of people and the various ways we can hear Him and be obedient or not. Perhaps anyone here would like to share ..... It does not need to be anything major, most of our lives are very ordinary :).

For instance I went shopping recently for groceries, my prayer partner was cooking. As I was nearing the checkout I felt a prompt to buy onions, and at the same time a lady behind me came up carrying onions. I thought to myself we don't need onions because we have some already. When I got back to the house the "cook" said, "t'was a pity you didn't get onions cos ours are gone off!".

Julia likes this.
  2. Sorrowful Heart

Sorrowful Heart Archangels

Normally it feels like I can't walk away from something. There is something important to be done.

Border collie likes this.
  3. Not many takers on this thread yet... hope it doesn't mean members don't feel the prompting of the Holy Spirit ;)

Julia likes this.
  4. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

How the Holy Spirit Works in our daily life?

Tough question :)

Maybe the Holy Spirit is like a gentle wind. It gradually moves everything into its proper place. I always felt the Holy Spirit works at every instance or moment. If we allow it to enter...it is constantly with us. The closer we become with Jesus the more the Holy Spirit works through us. The more we abandon our will... the greater the Holy Spirit works through us. I guess everything we do becomes a gift from God. Therefore, we work our hardest to do the best we can through/with the Holy Spirit.

I guess the ordinary becomes Holy but in the big picture... the light of God begins to shine through us. A friendly smile or a friendly hello...is Gods way of bringing a little joy to the world. By living the moment, we continuously try complete our projects, to the best of our ability and through the grace of God. All actions become spiritual and become a evangelization tool.

So...the story of going to the store becomes greater. Did you hold the door open for the person behind you? Were you friendly with the workers that were stocking food? Did you not get angry when the line was taking so long? Did you ignore your favorite cookies or soda (little sacrafices throughout the day)?

And then we come to the onion :). I don't think the Holy Spirit was guiding you to buy the onion. But if you were at store...maybe what the Holy Spirit was leading you towards and trying to get you to go shopping... to the best of your ability. Buying a few extra things for your prayer partner would have been a nice gesture. But by allowing the Holy Spirit to dwell in you through the grace of God...it becomes a spiritual gesture.

Hope That Helps :)

May Gods Will be Done

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Mario, Domenica and PotatoSack like this.
  5. John Rowley

John Rowley New Member

My friend Evelyn does not think of herself as religious but likes to be thought of as being spiritual. We were talking about these promptings and she told me about an episode when she was a farmer. She was prompted to check on a cow that was near to having her calf. He husband said not to bother, that the cow would be fine, and they went out for the night. In the morning the cow had had her calf but it was dead. Evelyn asked me if I thought she had been prompted by God to check the cow. She asked if all those little voices are from God. She asked if we are that in touch with God. Do we only have to listen and act?

Border collie and CrewDog like this.
  6. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

I believe in Little Voices from God the Holy Spirit .... perhaps via Guardian Angels. I usually remember the ones, like the Lady & Cow, and realized later that I missed a hint that would have saved me trouble!
    Being a Type A/Hyper personality I have a problem with taking time to be quiet and listen :(.

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

Border collie and sterph like this.
  7. fallen saint

fallen saint Baby steps :)

Holy Spirit part two.

We can live the moment in union with the Holy Spirit. But sometimes, we do have physical/spiritual nudges, to go in another direction. I used to work in clubs... and you could actually feel the tension growing, when bad things were about to happen (evil). Or sometime when you enter a room...and something just doesn't fell right. The gentle nudge is telling you to get out.

There is something connecting all of us. But when you choose a side, the battle lines are very black and white. If you choose Jesus your soul grows brighter and brighter. The Holy Spirit has a fresh pot to grow and expand. Because the radiance is growing... it is attracting good and rejecting evil.

How can I prove we are all connected. Not sure...but get in a car and stare at the person next to you. It strange, the person in the other car must feel something...because they turn around and stare at you back. What does that have to do with the Holy Spirit. Not sure...but there is something spiritual that connects all of us.

May Gods Will be Done

PotatoSack and sterph like this.
  8. Julia

Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

I remember reading something totally wonderful about the Holy Spirit.

Every time you are moved to pray, that is the Holy Spirit directing you. Every word you say in prayer is the Holy Spirit working in you.

Every good thought, word or deed that you do or say is you responding to the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is as essential to us in this life as the very air we breathe. I think this is how Jesus lives in us. After all He is one with the Father and the Holy Spirit. Isn't that just awesome to try and get your head around.

So necessary and important to find within ourselves the promptings of the Holy Spirit; And we hope one day to be one with our Heavenly Father, Jesus our Saviour and Holy Spirit our Sanctifier in our Heavenly home.

The alternative is the spirit that has been cast down and out by Saint Michael. Because there are only two choices in the final analysis, and need to choose God's Holy Spirit.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  9. John Rowley

John Rowley New Member

Elizabeth Kindelmann: The sweet Redeemer asked me to pray with Him the prayer that expresses His deepest desires:

[​IMG]May our feet journey together,
    May our hands gather in unity,
    May our hearts beat to the same rhythm,
    May our souls be in harmony,
    May our thoughts be in unison,
    May our ears listen to the silence together,
    May our glances melt in one another,
    and may our lips beg our heavenly Father, together, to obtain Mercy.

Jesus: "This prayer is an instrument in your hands. By collaborating with Me, Satan will be blinded by it; and because of his blindness, souls will not be led into sin."

This prayer given by Jesus to Elizabeth is printed on the back of the holy cards of Jesus on the Cross.

Julia, Patty, Sam and 3 others like this.
  10. A chap I'm friendly with got a call from the Lord to build a prayer ministry building. While the building was being completed he would get little directions from the Holy Spirit to tell the building contractors, plumbers etc to do this or that. My friend had a trade but it had absolutely nothing to do with the building trade.

Julia and fallen saint like this.
  11. This prayer is very similar to praying in the Divine Will!

Julia likes this.
  12. Light

Light Guest

"Every time you are moved to pray, that is the Holy Spirit directing you. Every word you say in prayer is the Holy Spirit working in you.

Every good thought, word or deed that you do or say is you responding to the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is as essential to us in this life as the very air we breathe. I think this is how Jesus lives in us. After all He is one with the Father and the Holy Spirit. Isn't that just awesome to try and get your head around.

So necessary and important to find within ourselves the promptings of the Holy Spirit; And we hope one day to be one with our Heavenly Father, Jesus our Saviour and Holy Spirit our Sanctifier in our Heavenly home."

Julia

I was refraining from posting here since I was not sure if the urge to pray or praise God in song was a "prompting" of the Holy Spirit. I think you are correct, it surely is since we can't do anything good on our own; it is the Holy Spirit within our souls that is at His work.

God Bless

13. I knew an elderly lady some years ago, she owned an apt I rented. One day she ended up in hospital and after tests the meds decided to do a minor op the following morning to remove any cancerous cells. I called into see her and in prayer beforehand felt a prompt that I should pray with her. When I arrived at her bedside she was in tears and surrounded by her family. She was convinced she was dying. I stayed a while but couldn't find the courage to offer to pray with her. All of her family were unbelievers. I decided I would pray for her in the hospital oratory instead. But later, when I tried to pray in the oratory I could feel the Holy Spirit again prompting me to pray with her. I ended up going back up to her room again, her family thankfully had left. I offered to pray with her and she gladly accepted, so I said a very brief prayer.
    A few days later she was home again and called to me. She said when she awoke the morning of the op, she was full of joy and all the fear was gone, and when they brought her into theatre, she could feel Jesus beside her holding her hand. She didn't have any cancer tg and over the next few weeks she would call to me and ask me to bring her to various friends of hers. She didn't drive. When we would get to the friends she would after a little while get up to make the tea and say something harmless like " perhaps he ie me will say a little prayer with you." :)

PotatoSack, Julia and Patty like this.
  14. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

I think the below gives good food for thought, especially "These Days", when we can easily imagine a time when we may be "cut-off" from our usual "bases of spiritual & physical supply" ......... and we must depend upon The Holy Spirit to guide us through some "Dark Places"!

HeartLight Daily Verse - 3 September

Isaiah 48:17
    This is what the Lord says -- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."

Thoughts on today's verse:

I sometimes long for the pillar of fire at night and the cloud by day to guide me as I make my way through this world. But I am reminded of God's abiding presence in the Spirit and his promise to never forsake me. I believe that if I seek his glory he will get me where I need to be to do his will.
    Prayer:
    Guide me, O Father, guide me to the places you want me to be, the ministries you want me to offer, and the people you want me to touch. Capture my heart to do your work and never let me lose sight of your coming glory. In Jesus name. Amen.
    Visit heartlight.org for more

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

Julia, Border collie, Serena and 2 others like this.
  15. "Quis ut Deus"

"Quis ut Deus" ADMIN Staff Member

Hi Border I posted quite a lot of comments on the forum over the past year or so on the workings of the Holy Spirit in my life I will list a few below..

Julia and Border collie like this.
  16. padraig

padraig Powers

I was thinking of the Holy Spirit a lot at Mass this morning when tehy read from the Book of Wisdom. I define Wisdom as the grace given ability to refer all things to God. So that God touches all elements of our life.

EOI was thinking of this there now when I was watching again the film, 'Of Gods and Generals'. on the night of the horrendous Battle of Fredricksburg soldiers on both sides, including General Lee and his staff looked to the sky and saw the most spectacular display of Northern Lights amidst the huge slaughter on both sides. I just thought this was the Holy Spirit giving a gentle tap.

[​IMG]

17. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

Perhaps we would all here have Holy Spirit "Events" to talk about if we just asked The Holy Spirit for some?

HeartLight Daily Verse - 4 September

2 Timothy 1:13-14
    What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you -- guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

We live in a world of keys, locks, alarms, and security systems. Paul's words here, shouldn't come as a surprise to us. The things that are most valuable to us we protect. What is more precious to us than the truth of God's saving grace in the Gospel. Thankfully, God has pre-wired all of us with a security system to help protect that incredibly precious hope. This security system lives in us. It is the Holy Spirit.
    Prayer:
    Help me, O God, to not compromise your truth to legalism or license. I want to live, and show others how to live, a holy life. I want to share with them your grace and mercy. But most of all Father, I want them to join with me in welcoming Jesus when he returns. Please empower me by your Holy Spirit to see through falsehood and error and protect and live your truth. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!

Visit heartlight.org for more

18. CrewDog

CrewDog Guest

I know, Gang! ..... This thread is supposed to be for those of us who are sure that they have been touched by the The Holy Spirit but since ... I sure wish The Holy Spirit had my e-mail address!!:):LOL: ... wouldn't that be GREAT..... Anyway I'm thinking that it is time for ALL of us to be "listening" 'cause I have this feeling that in the not too distant future that many, if not most, here will be called upon to answer the call to "conform to the character and ministry of Jesus" without all the "infrastructure" ... Spiritual & Physical ... that we have become accustomed to. It will be up to us, with the guidance of The Holy Spirit, to do our best to help and lead others with just The simple Faith that has already been instilled in us........ That could be a big part of what The Storm is all about??

HeartLight Daily Verse - 7 September

Colossians 1:28
    We proclaim him [Jesus], admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we present everyone perfect in Christ.

Our goal as Christians is not to obey some law, to adhere to some set of rules, or even be followers of some discipline. Our goal as Christians is to be conformed to the character and ministry of Jesus. This is the Spirit's work in us (2 Cor. 3:18) and as Paul makes clear here and in other places (Galatians 4:19) that this is his goal in working with others.
    Prayer:
    Holy Lord, conform my heart, my words, my life, my ministry, and my actions to those of Jesus. I want him to be my Lord, not just in my words but also in my life. Through him I pray. Amen.

GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!